Is there any life left in the swtor universe?

orangescionxb

i have just come back after, well a long time lol and found why i loved this game. the story telling is awesome (IMO), the classes are fun and engaging, and the fact that i can live out my fantasy as jedi/sith wielding a light saber!!!. But while i have been playing and btw loved the most recent story progression. i have noticed that on the planets from lvl 1- 50 or even higher there are at most on a Friday/Saturday night 26 pop. so to the question at hand what do people think is the life span of this game? is it going to stay for a couple of years? or is it going to thin out till EA and bio ware just give up and close the servers down? and i don't want people just saying " dyeing because its sucks" that's not a valuable answer. back it up with facts please. sincerely a considered player, love this game and i mean love it but i just wonder if its ever going to get back to even half the total pop it had in its golden days. thank you

Probably a safe bet to say it will be around for at least the next 18 months since chapters are scheduled thru then. Think you came back in the slump while people wait for the next chapter on Feb 11th. Also, what server are you on?

Some literally are dead while others are busy.

Another thing to keep in mind, this game has been around a couple of years now. The majority of the player base is at end game. So going to Balmorrah and expecting to see a crowd isn't likely to happen. Well... maybe on a Tuesday night when all the level 65s are running for Alliance crates.

Another thing to keep in mind, this game has been around a couple of years now. The majority of the player base is at end game. So going to Balmorrah and expecting to see a crowd isn't likely to happen. Well... maybe on a Tuesday night when all the level 65s are running for Alliance crates.

Hmmm... never thought of that. Seriously, good point! Note to self: don't do heroics on Tuesday night. Thanks! :D

My fear is that greediness will prevail and they will start developing another star wars mmo to capitalize on the current popularity, eventually cancelling this game so it will not compete with the new property. :sul_frown:

But wouldn't that be a good thing though?

My fear is that greediness will prevail and they will start developing another star wars mmo to capitalize on the current popularity, eventually cancelling this game so it will not compete with the new property. :sul_frown:

No, they would never ever do that. It wouldn't happen in a million years after all SWG is still alive and......oh wait, sorry I was living in fantasy land again. It would be rather ironic wouldn't it if a Force Awakens Star Wars mmo came out and they closed SWTOR as a result like they did with SWG wouldn't it? Not that SWG didn't deserve to die a horrible death especially after the whole NGE but seriously SWG was dead the moment they allowed players to build stuff pretty much anywhere. Player cities destroyed all the spawns on Tatooine as well as everywhere else. Nothing like riding around for hours only to find people's stupid shed's dotting the desert where all the mobs used to be.

And honestly I'd probably play it. Give me a millennium falcon any day. Just as long as it's not another wow clone. :csw_destroyer:

I agree, it depends entirely on what server you play on. I'm on the Harbinger and several other servers on the US side, and I always see multiple instances on most planets on all of the servers I play on, save for a few that you can get off pretty quickly if you don't run every quest. This includes Tuesday nights, too! lol. Suppose it could also depend what timezone you are in, but even if I log on at 3am I still see good populations.

As for another Star Wars MMO, if they do start developing one, it'll take at least 3-4 years before it launches. So I say we still have some good, quality time with SWTOR left, regardless. :)

Edited by blindxsecrets

But wouldn't that be a good thing though?

I can't see how. As long as EA still has the rights to make Star Wars games, they are going to continue being this. This is the best story telling MMO I have ever played. OK, maybe they cut out cutscenes, dumbed them down in the last few expansions. Maybe they have gotten lazy with the newer planets, and the quests on them, since they don't have cutscenes at all, just a text box. But overall, this is the best story telling MMO I have ever played, and I have played about 15 mainstream MMO's, and another 10 or so smaller ones.

But, this game is huge on cutting corners to get the content out there. This is the problem with a large production company like EA. They want the most bang for their buck. It is a business, and the bigwigs at EA know nothing about games, except there is money in it. Unlike others here, I don't see EA telling BW how to design the game, or what to implement. But I do believe they are told you have X dollars to spend, you need to make Y dollars by this time.

So as long as the bottom line is the only driving force behind the game, you won't see better. Just newer.

I know I have done it before, but look at LOTRO. It has about as many players as SWTOR. It is a much older engine, and it shows. However, we KNOW the devs still have as much passion today as they did on the day it released. How do we know that? They tell us, and they show us! It is because of THEIR love of the game that I still play it at all. I don't see Warner Brothers hands all over them. They might be in the background, somewhere. But it still makes money, and people are still happy with it.

Show me the passion from the devs of this game. The last cantina crawl I went to, I saw a few devs that looked like they wanted to be anywhere but with their fans. When they talked about what they were looking at, a few of them sounded like Ben Stein in SLOW MOTION. Very few were there smiling.

So no, I don't think with EA in charge of the license, you will get better. It needs to go to a company who has the drive, and the love that is required.

I play LOTRO because of the devs passion and love. I play SWTOR because it is Star Wars.

This game is fantastic in many ways, but not perfect but I still cant figure out for the life of me why the community hates the game so much but yet they are still here playing it or at least paying for it because they are posting on the forums.

Can't post without a sub. So it's beyond me why people are crying so much and asking for it to be cancelled. People will never be satisfied no matter how good or bad something is.

i am on "shadowlands" PVE. I've got a friend that got me to switch all 7 of my guys there and guess what? ROFLOL hes doesn't play as much as he says he does lol. but in any case i think now i just want a server that's still alive and kicking.

update: 4:41 EST, according to http://www.torstatus.net "The Harbinger" is the only us server that reached heavy>very heavy in the past 60 days. can anyone confirm if that's the best server to be on?

Edited by orangescionxb
new graphs

i am on "shadowlands" PVE. I've got a friend that got me to switch all 7 of my guys there and guess what? ROFLOL hes doesn't play as much as he says he does lol. but in any case i think now i just want a server that's still alive and kicking.

update: 4:41 EST, according to http://www.torstatus.net "The Harbinger" is the only us server that reached heavy>very heavy in the past 60 days. can anyone confirm if that's the best server to be on?

Not really, overly heavy makes doing some dailies a PITA. Try Ebon Hawk its busy but can still get things done.

Not really, overly heavy makes doing some dailies a PITA. Try Ebon Hawk its busy but can still get things done.

I've tried low-standered pop servers b4 and found that when in need of help at peak times, its like crickets in general lol. I've transferred a lvl 27 jedi sentinel to harbinger to see if i like it. toons name is "iravis" if i can keep it lol

SWTOR will never reach the numbers of WoW, and it will never be a WoW-killer. In fact only WoW can be a WoW-killer; I last left that game this past summer and even Legion doesn't have me interested enough to return-- at least not yet.

SWTOR has found its "niche" and has attained sustainability, like RIFT. Sooner or later every game will burn itself out, but SWTOR still has life left in it.

Every game has slow periods in between major patches. Right now most of us have run the first 9 chapters of KOTFE on several toons. Some run conquest stuff and ops and pvp waiting for chapter 10, others start playing another game while waiting.

I'm on The Shadowlands and it's pretty busy. There will be slow days, and slow times, however.

i have just come back after, well a long time lol and found why i loved this game. the story telling is awesome (IMO), the classes are fun and engaging, and the fact that i can live out my fantasy as jedi/sith wielding a light saber!!!. But while i have been playing and btw loved the most recent story progression. i have noticed that on the planets from lvl 1- 50 or even higher there are at most on a Friday/Saturday night 26 pop. so to the question at hand what do people think is the life span of this game? is it going to stay for a couple of years? or is it going to thin out till EA and bio ware just give up and close the servers down? and i don't want people just saying " dyeing because its sucks" that's not a valuable answer. back it up with facts please. sincerely a considered player, love this game and i mean love it but i just wonder if its ever going to get back to even half the total pop it had in its golden days. thank you

What server are you on? Right now while I'm online, there's two instances of Tatooine, and that's on a EU server where it's already past bedtime for most folks (given that it's a week day).

Usually the only times I see 26 people or so on a planet is when I log on at 5 AM or similarly outrageous time.

SWTOR will never reach the numbers of WoW, and it will never be a WoW-killer. In fact only WoW can be a WoW-killer; I last left that game this past summer and even Legion doesn't have me interested enough to return-- at least not yet.

SWTOR has found its "niche" and has attained sustainability, like RIFT. Sooner or later every game will burn itself out, but SWTOR still has life left in it.

Every game has slow periods in between major patches. Right now most of us have run the first 9 chapters of KOTFE on several toons. Some run conquest stuff and ops and pvp waiting for chapter 10, others start playing another game while waiting.

I'm on The Shadowlands and it's pretty busy. There will be slow days, and slow times, however.

What's the niche of Rift?

Game's not going anywhere. It might seem dry right now because they just got back from christmas and stuff and there are no write ups or anything else like that, but it will be here for years. You don't have to worry about that. I know 3 weeks feels like 2 months sometimes, but just have patience and no need to ask if the game is going to die. Just enjoy yourself with what we have now.

Shadowlands is pretty much the perfect balance. It's the highest pop on East Coast prime time and doesn't crash like Harbinger does from time to time.

I'm constantly seeing other people in heroic areas, on fleet making ops, forming guilds, etc.

Edited by annabethchase

I hope the game doesn't die yet. I've been playing for the past month and a half for the first time. I am still doing my Sith Marauder's story. I would at least like to finish it ( as well as all expansions ) before they shut it down. As for low population. Come on over to the Ebon Hawk server, there are high numbers on the Imperial Fleet. Not in the thousands, but upper hundreds.