Currenty lagging like a mofo in a ops on a msi gtx 970.

Illusious

as title says im lagging like crazy i already turned off shadows and AA playing on windowed FS with vsync on

My specs are

AMD FX-8350 4.0 ghz 8 core

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz Corsair Vengeance 2133 mhz

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI) Gpu..

i shouldn't be lagging at all .. i can run the newest games on full ultra over 100 fps and this old thing cant even give me a 20 fps bench mark in a Ops.. thats *********** stupid please help me

Edited by Illusious

There are a few reasons why the game can be "laggy".

First, it could be your Internet connection. The ping time the game reports isn't the full story either.

Second, it could be something in your software. Drivers, Windows updates, etc.

Finally, it could simply be your CPU. This game does not require massive GPU resources, your GPU is not limiting the performance of the game, but the CPU likely is.

AMD chips have worse single core performance than Intel does, and this is largely a single threaded game. It does use 2 threads, but the second is more housekeeping than anything else.

In SWTOR, a modern Haswell/Skylake chip will be at least 50% faster than your CPU, if not closer to 70% faster depending on the specific chip.

Lagging here too on Harbringer, game ping is like 32000ms. Internet on my end is functioning normally so my guess is that it's on their end somewhere, whether it's localized to just that server or more global I don't know.

Well, my computer is almost identical to yours - Nvidia GTX 970 and AMD 8350 with 16GB DDR3. SWTOR runs perfectly on my computer with maximum graphics, so I'm not certain it's a hardware issue you are experiencing. If you have installed windows 10 recently, that may be to blame. When I tried it, SWTOR was laggy and crashed with incredible frequency.

The only other thing I could think of is your internet connection (especially if you live in EU and play on US servers or vice versa), as others have suggested. Hope I've helped in some way!

(EDIT: It also looks like some servers are having lag issues and disconnects currently. That may be the issue depending on your server)

Edited by Wegabe_Awock

I find it very odd.. that im lagging while i can run games like mad max on 130 fps ultra everything and fallout 4 on ultra 60 fps steady even when streaming it.. my MS is 32 ms at most of the times in other games its a bit lower towards 1617 ms but theres not a solution to this? or is there? cause this is pretty lame :4

Download and run the boost on Razer Cortex. Shuts down background process, releases some memory and boosts the programs. Stops my windows 10 from d/l and trying to install in the back ground when I am playing. I have noticed a big improvement since getting this program.

There are a few reasons why the game can be "laggy".

First, it could be your Internet connection. The ping time the game reports isn't the full story either.

Second, it could be something in your software. Drivers, Windows updates, etc.

Finally, it could simply be your CPU. This game does not require massive GPU resources, your GPU is not limiting the performance of the game, but the CPU likely is.

AMD chips have worse single core performance than Intel does, and this is largely a single threaded game. It does use 2 threads, but the second is more housekeeping than anything else.

In SWTOR, a modern Haswell/Skylake chip will be at least 50% faster than your CPU, if not closer to 70% faster depending on the specific chip.

to answer u my drivers and software are all updated i did this recently when i bought this computer about a week or 2 ago so i highly doubt thats it ... also still even tho some CPU's might be better this is one of the best currently avaiable yet im laggin in an nearly what 5 year old game? i think its stupid tho i wish bioware would fix there game

... also still even tho some CPU's might be better this is one of the best currently available

Almost all MMOs are CPU dependant. Check the forums for GW2, WoW, etc, and you'll find people complaining about the same sort of "lag when things get busy" issue.

The FX-8350, while it is one of the best AMD CPUs currently available, has nowhere near the performance of an Intel i5 in MMOs. In single player games, the FX CPUs run just fine, but they choke badly in MMOs.

Btw, even with a good Intel i5 CPU you will still get an fps drop in PvP and OPs, but it should stay well above 30 fps and be playable.

Almost all MMOs are CPU dependant. Check the forums for GW2, WoW, etc, and you'll find people complaining about the same sort of "lag when things get busy" issue.

The FX-8350, while it is one of the best AMD CPUs currently available, has nowhere near the performance of an Intel i5 in MMOs. In single player games, the FX CPUs run just fine, but they choke badly in MMOs.

Btw, even with a good Intel i5 CPU you will still get an fps drop in PvP and OPs, but it should stay well above 30 fps and be playable.

Thats very odd that cause i have nearly 300 fps in WoW on ultra everything in 20/25 man raids 40 man Bgs and everything else that could happen as a cluster **** same goes for Gw2 i have everything on ultra and in the most crowded area of the game or pvp zone i rock a steady 150 fps.. but i guess Swtor is just ****** optimized when it comes to it ... i still think its rather strange that im lagging on this game even considering what u just mentioned.. but i guess ill just have to turn down my settings even tho i bought this PC for the reason to run the game on high settings ... bit bumped about it

to answer u my drivers and software are all updated i did this recently when i bought this computer about a week or 2 ago so i highly doubt thats it ... also still even tho some CPU's might be better this is one of the best currently avaiable yet im laggin in an nearly what 5 year old game? i think its stupid tho i wish bioware would fix there game

For what it is worth, I have multiple system that I've run this game on.

My wife and son play, and we have three gaming computers. I recently upgraded my son's from a i5-2310 Sandy Bridge to a i7-4790k Haswell Refresh. Video card wasn't changed, a GTX 960 card and he games on 3 monitors (1440p each).

The performance difference was clear and obvious between the Sandy Bridge chip and the Haswell Refresh chip.

My Main machine is a i7-4770k, which defaults to 3.5GHz vs the 4.0GHz of the i7-4790k, and I even see a difference in warzones between his machine and mine, and my machine has a GTX 980 TI card in it (I play on 3 screens, 1600p each).

So he has the better CPU, I have the better GPU, and his machine is faster in SWTOR, but mine is faster in almost everything else.

The third machine used to be a i7-920 that was overclocked to 3.2GHz. It was slower than both machines, but it worked well enough (on 1 monitor). It has now been upgraded to a i5-6500 and a GTX 970. It is smooth as silk playing SWTOR (1 monitor, 1600p).

It does help that our internet connection is very good, we have fiber to the home, 1 gigabit up and down, with a low latency to the servers. Still get some lag during prime time in busy areas, but when instanced, usually smooth as silk.

All machines on Windows 10, all updates installed, newest nVidia drivers on all.

For what it is worth, I have multiple system that I've run this game on.

My wife and son play, and we have three gaming computers. I recently upgraded my son's from a i5-2310 Sandy Bridge to a i7-4790k Haswell Refresh. Video card wasn't changed, a GTX 960 card and he games on 3 monitors (1440p each).

The performance difference was clear and obvious between the Sandy Bridge chip and the Haswell Refresh chip.

My Main machine is a i7-4770k, which defaults to 3.5GHz vs the 4.0GHz of the i7-4790k, and I even see a difference in warzones between his machine and mine, and my machine has a GTX 980 TI card in it (I play on 3 screens, 1600p each).

So he has the better CPU, I have the better GPU, and his machine is faster in SWTOR, but mine is faster in almost everything else.

The third machine used to be a i7-920 that was overclocked to 3.2GHz. It was slower than both machines, but it worked well enough (on 1 monitor). It has now been upgraded to a i5-6500 and a GTX 970. It is smooth as silk playing SWTOR (1 monitor, 1600p).

It does help that our internet connection is very good, we have fiber to the home, 1 gigabit up and down, with a low latency to the servers. Still get some lag during prime time in busy areas, but when instanced, usually smooth as silk.

All machines on Windows 10, all updates installed, newest nVidia drivers on all.

Well as u can see i dont have a Intel Cpu.. i strafed away from those seeing there about 300 euros more expensive then what i currently have with less specs

Thats very odd that cause i have nearly 300 fps in WoW on ultra everything in 20/25 man raids 40 man Bgs and everything else that could happen as a cluster **** same goes for Gw2 i have everything on ultra and in the most crowded area of the game or pvp zone i rock a steady 150 fps.. but i guess Swtor is just ****** optimized when it comes to it ... i still think its rather strange that im lagging on this game even considering what u just mentioned.. but i guess ill just have to turn down my settings even tho i bought this PC for the reason to run the game on high settings ... bit bumped about it

Yes and no, WoW is simply ancient and cant really be compared to GW2 or SWTOR, but when you compare those 2 SWTOR still has much, MUCH better graphics. Like some others have said you wouldve been better off with a i5-i7. I dont know if you have a SSD in your computer but if you took away 8 gigs of ram and an ssd you couldve had a i7 instead of the FX processor. (its easy to add Ram and an SSD to your rig and these 2 items don't really increase performance as much as a CPU/GPU) The problem with video games is that many don't support multi threading and rely on the speed of a single core to do most of the work. (generally Intel cores have the fastest cores) Now if a game was solely made for DX12 then your AMD CPU wouldn't actually be that bad or even a bottleneck. Sadly for you SWTOR wasnt made for DX12.

Anyway SWTOR does need some more optimization (especially for AMD CPU users)

Edited by Faardor

Well as u can see i dont have a Intel Cpu.. i strafed away from those seeing there about 300 euros more expensive then what i currently have with less specs

300 euro MORE? The i7-4790K is about $300 total in the US, how much are you having to pay? Here the Intel chip is about $100 more than your AMD chip.

As for specs, which ones? The Intel chip is faster than the AMD chip in almost every respect. Yes, there are a few exceptions, such as video and image editing, where AMD's 8 compute cores can be faster than Intel's 4 core, 4 hyperthread configuration. But those are the exception and if you're doing that kind of work seriously, you shouldn't be on other chip, a Xeon has your name on it.

Other than very low power systems, or perhaps a system that isn't going to get a dedicated video card, Intel is the only CPU worth looking at these days. And that is a shame, because the lack of competition from AMD is holding back advancement from Intel.

The days of the Athlon XP were nice, when buying AMD made a ton of sense and they were faster in many respects than the P4 of the day. But those days are gone and have been gone for almost 10 years now.

I've played WoW and GW2 (and I'm a "Technician" on GW2guru forums) and I say "male bovine excrement".

Even the wool you're trying to pull over our eyes is 50% polyester. :)