The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Game crashes after I hit "Play"(doesn't launch);also.. crashes when I hit preferences

AndriusAjax

Like the title says, I cant launch the game. I hit Play from the launcher and it begins to start, and then crashes. Its happened 5 times in a row. Sometimes you cant even tell it ever started, and other times it gets to the 'Knights of the Fallen Empire' image and then crashes. And even if I can get in, which i finally did earlier today after 3 tries, there is a good chance hitting Preferences (at any point) will crash the game client.

But long story short (as short as I can make it..).... I've had this issue for about a year now. It seems to be a fairly popular bug with most search results pointing to having you delete some diskcachearena files in your appdata folder or something with Geforce graphics cards and having optimal settings not selected. Well doing these things helped me earlier this year -- maybe 5 months ago. But I recently refreshed my PC and I think a new windows update might have moved the DiskCacheArena and Bitraider files needing to be deleted into different places. I cant seem to find them where they originally were.

Anyone have any info, or links, to help me here? I just want to get in and play.

Edited by AndriusAjax

Delete client_settings.ini

Are you using MSI Afterburner? At times it will prevent SWTOR from launching and crash the game. After in game you can start MSI After urner again with no issues.

Right click the icon and let me know what the options are...

Run as administrator selected?

Run in compatibility mode selected?

They shouldn't be

Windows 10?

Nvidia drivers?

Edited by knowmyname

Delete client_settings.ini

Are you using MSI Afterburner? At times it will prevent SWTOR from launching and crash the game. After in game you can start MSI After urner again with no issues.

Right click the icon and let me know what the options are...

Run as administrator selected?

Run in compatibility mode selected?

They shouldn't be

Windows 10?

Nvidia drivers?

I have an MSI gt70, geforce gtx870m, windows 8.1, nvidia driver 361.43, sry. And no 'Afterburner' but I am using MSI VGA Overclock Tool.

And I just now deleted the client_setting.ini for the first time since running into these issues again - I didnt remember it being there. I could have swore there were some other files I deleted that I can no longer find... a bitraider file or two I wana say... Anyways, I also changed the GeForce Experience settings to not do 'Optimal Settings' and had luck earlier this[last] year. But none of the stuff I did seemed to work (hoping the file I just deleted works...)

I've gotten into the game, but ive just been trying up to 5 or 6 times. I finally got in last night and then just refused to quit out or press Preferences. But I really NEED to hit preferences to map my keys. Im hoping for a fix that can solve both issues (the Preferences crash and it not launching until the 5th go) - considering last time both seemed to go away in unison, Im hoping they are related.

EDIT: After I deleted the client_settings.ini file, it opened in the wrong resolution and then crashed after I hit Preferences in the Select Character screen.... This is so annoying. The most tantalizing aspect to all of this is that after experiencing issues just like, or probably worse than, what its currently doing, I somehow fixed it (or it fixed itself) and then went several great months with 0 issues. And now after a PC reset, its back. So I know it CAN be fixed..

Edited by AndriusAjax

Go into your SWTOR - Folder and check if you have : swtor.exe

Now,my Launcher did NOT REACT AT ALL! (no Crash or anything). But if your swtor.exe isn't there,ask a Friend to send it to you (fixed for me).

Edited by ahzecklawd