Develop for future, not for lazy people!

LordSodos

Well, "Lord" Sodos, your education is not yet complete... but I still have my rolled up newspaper.

You see it from a very clear PvE side who does not love exploring, only given PvE content as story or the new expansions.
How do you know how I play the game? How do you know I don't explore? The only thing I had to say about my personal play style is that I don't like platform jumping puzzles. I will say, for the record, that I tend to be a completionist, so that means I do explore. Just an FYI.

...and this "only given PvE content as story or the new expansions." is half a thought (much like most of this pointless rant of yours). What is it that you are trying to say? Use your words.

About the new story... I can say that it is bad, because it shows Vitiate as another being, that can't be him. I studied him in real life and learned to think how he did in the years, and he would never think this way, this is ridiculous. So no matter what happens, they screwed everything up.
You studied the Emperor IN REAL LIFE?

...you studied a fictional being, like say, a Neurologist studies neurons... in real life. You did this. Like... you have your Master's Thesis on The Life and Times of Emperor Vitiate? Or, perhaps you defended your Doctoral Dissertation on Why Valkorian of Zakuul couldn't possibly be Sith Emperor Vitiate? You have... bonafides to present? You put BIS (Bachelor of Imperial Studies) after your name when you write correspondence?

Not sure if fascinating or really, really lame.

About they removing the gear vendors.... I wrote two.. no.. three different threads about this topic. Players lose the feeling that they earn something special through what they are doing. Now they get boxes with gear that looks the same. Or even only crystals from what you can buy another same looking gear. That is centralising and that is bad. Same as in real life. Small shops close and big concerns take over the market. If you get the same for every mission, no matter if you get the mission from an old grandpa or a high-tech Imperial ministry... all you get are green crystals. This does not make fun!
Why are you spamming the forum with 3 threads about the same topic?

...in any case. I don't entirely disagree with you here, but better, I think, would be to make more Orange Options available through crafting (including all of the orange gear that used to be had through the vendors we're talking about).

...the boxes of gear "that all looks the same" are orange versions of the old tier sets. This is actually a great way for players to get gear in 4.0 that they might not have gotten through the PvE content that is no longer relevant.

...and really, the point of crystals isn't to buy new gear, it's to buy mods to put in the gear that you've selected to give you a particular look.

...and complaining that Data Crystals are a universal reward... is kinda stupid. I mean, you want a reward particular to the Grandpa that gave you the quest? Have a handful of hard candies and a fancy new set of false teeth. Happier now? Data Crystals as a reward just means you always get something you can use, and you can pick it out yourself.

And no, the devs can not put RP in the game, but they can advertise it and pull people to it, instead of pointing in the opposite side.
Advertise it.... to what purpose? Pull people towards it.... how?

...and how does anything in 4.0.x actually detract from RP?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, "Lord" Sodos

Instead of you I don't have a HUTT as Profile picture.

You will never understand. How you split every word I say into a whole paragraph, without thinking how I could have meant it.

You studied the Emperor IN REAL LIFE?

I visited different communities, websites, wikis, .. missions in the game and learned through this, how he thinks. Until Ziost he was the Sith Lord that wanted to reshape the galaxy itself into a new form, killing everything... and waiting, until the circle begins again... exploring other galaxies, ... and and and.

Why are you spamming the forum with 3 threads about the same topic?

No, I am not spamming the forum with 3 threads about the same topic, they were all relying on a different problem that has to do with it.

Advertise it.... to what purpose? Pull people towards it.... how?

1) You don't disable side missions from the start

2) You don't put the focus on story missions, only through side missions you can get INTO the universe, because you learn how other people think, how imperials think and what the Sith Empire is in general. Of course you need to do it seriously.

3) You make the people run alot. Through running they discover hidden things, that they don't see from quick traveling or taxi. They get one with the game in a while.

4) Announce it, that this game is an awesome place to RP and instead of showing HK-55 "Reward" that they throw on you without earning, show something RP related, that inspires people.

Edited by LordSodos

O M G

"spent far more than 5000€ "

Are you a millionaire?

Damn, you could have saved someone's life with that money.

No, but with my JOB I earn enough to spend 5000€ over four years. 1250€ a year, 104,17€ a month. For someone who works, has a own flat that is already payed and has nothing really else to pay... I would say per month I spend about 600€ on my life, eating and so on included. I work as software engineer and earn about 5000€ netto right now, but it could raise up to 9500€ netto / month once I am in a higher position (in about 3 years). When I worked at a game studio I earned even more, because I was the team leader of the development section.. this is also why I know how THIS game works. (We worked with HeroEngine too)

And don't worry about the people I save^^ I donate money to over ten organisations, and that monthly.

A very old, loyal fellow of my order spent about 20.000€, and earns far less than me. He devoted his life even more to this game. That is 5000 a year and 416,67€ a month.

Edited by LordSodos

Umm, how?

Do I need to explain that again...? Really :(

Look. If you walk through Dromund Kaas and the animals in the jungle attack you from 20m.... it would be fine with the old model. But now you need to FIGHT them PvEly, and not just one-hitting them. It makes RP feel... interrupted and the feeling is gone.

I would like bigger map for sure and more area to explore but I don't think it fair to call people lazy who don't care about exploring. Some people like exploring and other don't. Some people are here to PVP, RPG, PVE, Operations, etc, everyone has different thing they like doing. Saying someone lazy for not engaging in said activity is not cool. I too enjoy exploring but some days I want to focus on the story and on these day I like the fact my waypoint are unlocked.

Actual it make more sense as an RPG and playing with the story, as why wouldn't my Jedi Knight not simple ask for directions to the local transportation agency and then have them take him to the city. Why would my character who on an important mission be running randomly around the mountain instead of staying on mission and getting to the city there need at. This breaks my roleplaying ability, so it depends on which character I am playing and what I am doing. Do I sometime get tighter of being attacked by mod sure but I can work around it.

You mean vendors for level gear? That is one perspective... everyone has access to a full range of Orange Gear from the level 8 vendor, and a few different Orange gear vendors (security key, social advances, Light/Dark side advances) as well as quest rewards.

...Primarily, what this has done is to create a market for Player Crafted Orange gear, and an improved market for Cartel Market Orange Gear. Like... do I really want to spend 300K buying a Czerka XL-420 Blaster Pistol when I can by a Rancor Suppression Blaster for 8 common data crystals? Hmm.... nope. But, since the vendor who sold that there Rancor blaster is gone, suddenly that Cartel Czerka piece has a bit more appeal.

A lot of people are unhappy about the removal of the gear vendors. They were a consistent source of specific looks. That is what people are upset about, not the ability to get orange gear, that is so passe since appearance tabs came out. (Weapons are a different matter natch.) Can some of those looks be found in other places? Probably. But not reliably. You can spend hours, if not days on a planet to get a specific world drop. Gear from heroics & flashpoins are level specific, so if you aren't in that level band you are SOL. Some of the level spreads are only one level, so if the chest you want is from the "Toxic" tier, good luck getting the rng gods to cooperate before you out-level it. If you are dependent on an archived crafted item, you are at the whim of other crafters if you don't have the schematic on one of yours.

You might not care about aesthetics, but lots of us do. So if that Czerka XL-420 Blaster Pistol doesn't have the exact same look and sound as the Czerka XL-420 Blaster Pistol people are going to be annoyed, and rightly so.

OP, I agree with most of what you're saying in your original post and subsequent responses. Much of the game does feel like they didn't put as much effort into the new worlds. I have no problem with quick travel options -- be it planetary or heroics. Some time ago people made a valid point that it doesn't make sense to have to save a planet or fight for a cause, yet they don't tell you how to get from point A to point B in a game with advanced satellites and technology. If it's so urgent to save a planet or complete a mission, shouldn't you get all travel points? I think so. Furthermore, you always have the option to do what I do -- ride from one point to another. I don't understand why it bother you that some other people can quick travel. You're not forced to use it. Yet you call those who do lazy... I take it you walk everywhere you go in real life? Do you plan on swimming to a foreign country, walking from province to province, or will you take a plane? I do have one bit of concern from your posts though...

Honestly, OP, it sounds like you have no life and have made the game your life. That seems pretty sad to me. This GAME is a bit of fun for me to have from time to time to relax from stresses in real life. If you've poured your life into a GAME, I would, quite frankly, suggest you get a life rather than being upset that other people consider 8 hours a day playing a game obsessive. Some would even say unhealthy. People whom you refer to as lazy might well see your spending 8 hours a day -- you said as much yourself -- playing this game as lazy.

Edited by Karellan

Look. If you walk through Dromund Kaas and the animals in the jungle attack you from 20m.... it would be fine with the old model. But now you need to FIGHT them PvEly, and not just one-hitting them. It makes RP feel... interrupted and the feeling is gone.

What's stopping you from simply moving on? Most of mobs are unable to knock you down from speeder. Also, DK is bad example, becouse it's still one hit most of the times.

And if you need to roleplay in this precise spot - why not kill them? It's less than 6 seconds even on Rishi, not to mention elder planets.

Edited by Frenesi

Before level sync you were able to one-hit them in most cases, which was rather realistic than annoying. I don't want to PvE fight during RP. And I will EVER stick to planetary RP, because if you experienced a full planned society built up of RPers in Kaas City, RPing citizens, soldiers, .. sith acolytes, ... you know why.

No, it does not stop people, but people can escape it. And I first hated the running too, but then I fast saw, what amazing thing you are able to see. The game needs to kill laziness and FORCE people to explore, only through that people get a taste of it. Else they will always choose the easy path.

LordSodos. I understand what you want, but those days of mmorpgs are done. you can't FORCE people to explore or challenge them in a way where it makes them feel like they are doing a chore. Hardcore raiding things in mmorpgs are gone. It's the era of the casual player. I have been playing mmorpgs a long time, and don't mind one bit in the way mmos are going. I already deal with challenges and things in real life to get through the day, I don't need to deal with challenges on a roleplaying game I'm here to relax and chill out and escape in.

There will be those that will want to level as fast as they can no matter what the circumstance whatsoever. People who want to explore and go back to other area or "off the map" areas just to experience will do it regardless if there are any achievements. I don't need an achievement that told me I just explored something :p People will still do things.

Edited by Sarfux

Fools, you asked for this system. You wanted streamlined leveling, easy stats on gear, easy companion gearing, fasting leveling experience, planet level sync, more XP, more credits...more more more, me, me ,me....entitled much?

4.0 KOTFE...my bad I mean 4.0 New Player Entitlements, has added all this for the "majority"

You got a year of x12 XP boost to class missions, because leveling from 10-50 only took 9 hours and that was far too much time. Double XP during the current states of x8 XP for class and planetary missions has cut that down to 1-65 in 9 hours.

Game was hard, now it's too easy? But this is what you asked for. A handful of us told the community this would happen. Watch what you ask for. We saw the big picture and warned the community what would happen. Everything we said came true. We were right though over a year ago we were trolled, slammed, and ignored by the fanboys. Now these fanboys are sad. They know it, but won't admit it.

Told you so. Adapt or die ( uninstall )

EDIT:

Had to add this. It's a great example of what I've been pointing out for the past year and a half...

Or a 13 year old in this case.

My son, now 13, and I started SWTOR as founders and then both stopped for about year. I came back to it but he has since moved on to other games he and his friends are playing.

Last night he walked up and said "what planet is that " I said "Tython, I just made this character this afternoon". He said "but your level 19", "I said, I will leave Coursant at 30 or greater" he said "the game is broken if you are half way to max level before you leave the 2nd planet"

I had to agree, leveling at least is down right broken and the 2xp event made it worse

Edited by knowmyname

You can not expect from new players to explore without making them explore. Through running around you see new things that will get your fantasies working, you will start to explore the history of the things and this is the basement of new RPers. Instead you make a pure PvE game that just relays on leveling, leveling and having "fun".

One question: are you drunk?

OP, I agree with most of what you're saying in your original post and subsequent responses. Much of the game does feel like they didn't put as much effort into the new worlds. I have no problem with quick travel options -- be it planetary or heroics. Some time ago people made a valid point that it doesn't make sense to have to save a planet or fight for a cause, yet they don't tell you how to get from point A to point B in a game with advanced satellites and technology. If it's so urgent to save a planet or complete a mission, shouldn't you get all travel points? I think so. Furthermore, you always have the option to do what I do -- ride from one point to another. I don't understand why it bother you that some other people can quick travel. You're not forced to use it. Yet you call those who do lazy... I take it you walk everywhere you go in real life? Do you plan on swimming to a foreign country, walking from province to province, or will you take a plane? I do have one bit of concern from your posts though...

Honestly, OP, it sounds like you have no life and have made the game your life. That seems pretty sad to me. This GAME is a bit of fun for me to have from time to time to relax from stresses in real life. If you've poured your life into a GAME, I would, quite frankly, suggest you get a life rather than being upset that other people consider 8 hours a day playing a game obsessive. Some would even say unhealthy. People whom you refer to as lazy might well see your spending 8 hours a day -- you said as much yourself -- playing this game as lazy.

I was a little upset about the gear vendor removal for the commendations for the different planets. I wish they kept them. Some awesome looking stuffs in there!! I got a lot of it

So hop on a speeder and blaze past them.

Instead of you I don't have a HUTT as Profile picture.
It amuses me to have a hutt as my profile pic. The fact that you think it's significant says more about you, than it does about me... and what it says, isn't exactly good.

For the record, Lord Fell is my gaming handle wherever I may roam, and this is my usual avatar, and this is my sig. Does that help? ...it shouldn't.

You will never understand. How you split every word I say into a whole paragraph, without thinking how I could have meant it.
It shouldn't be my job to have to decipher what you mean. The unfortunate truth is your literacy is marginal. Sorry. Use simpler language until you've mastered it.

I visited different communities, websites, wikis, .. missions in the game and learned through this, how he thinks. Until Ziost he was the Sith Lord that wanted to reshape the galaxy itself into a new form, killing everything... and waiting, until the circle begins again... exploring other galaxies, ... and and and.
I would like a word with your professors. I think they have a lot of work to do.

...the fact that you dismiss him as a Sith Lord tells me you don't really understand the Emperor. The fact that you claim to understand him at all is also a strong clue. The Emperor has always operated at a higher level than us; true understanding is not possible with the limited means at our disposal.

No, I am not spamming the forum with 3 threads about the same topic, they were all relying on a different problem that has to do with it.
I'll have to take your word for it, but I'm rather skeptical that what seems like a simple issue requires the complication of 3 threads to discuss. Besides... I would like to see the adaptive gear that was available from these vendors returned to game -although I would think through crafting. So, we're not really at odds here.

1) You don't disable side missions from the start
Side missions have not been disabled. They are all still in game.

2) You don't put the focus on story missions, only through side missions you can get INTO the universe, because you learn how other people think, how imperials think and what the Sith Empire is in general. Of course you need to do it seriously.
Completely disagree. Story missions, by the clear and indisputable fact that they are story missions is where you really get the "feel" of your character. Side missions are... side missions.

3) You make the people run alot. Through running they discover hidden things, that they don't see from quick traveling or taxi. They get one with the game in a while.
How very zen. :p

...this has nothing to do with roleplaying however. Finding a datacron on a deserted beach while wandering off alone like the idiot from Into the Wild does not constitute roleplaying.

4) Announce it, that this game is an awesome place to RP and instead of showing HK-55 "Reward" that they throw on you without earning, show something RP related, that inspires people.
Pointless.

People who like to roleplay are already in the game and roleplaying. Being a fan of the Star Wars universe is what's going to get people excited about roleplaying in the Star Wars universe.

...I just don't think they can advertise a "feature" that they have no way of moderating, marketing, or creating. Again, roleplay is 100% the responsibility of the players.

Edited by LordFell

A lot of people are unhappy about the removal of the gear vendors. They were a consistent source of specific looks. That is what people are upset about, not the ability to get orange gear, that is so passe since appearance tabs came out.
Fair enough. I have all the looks and gear I wanted from those vendors, but if I didn't I would be much more inclined to make this one of my causes.

I'm a big fan of appearance customizations. I've got 4 unlocked outfits on all of my characters, and most of those outfits are unique... and I do have a full set of modded and dyed Orange gear, so that my actually equipped gear is also an outfit. I've also posted in support of being able to customize new companions.

...just posting to make sure we're clear that this is not an issue that I'm against the OP on. I may have a different opinion on what should be done about it, and it's definitely lower on my list of priorities, but I'm not against this.

O M G

"spent far more than 5000€ "

Are you a millionaire?

Damn, you could have saved someone's life with that money.

Perhaps that's pocket change and the rest actually goes to saving lives. Perhaps it's a compulsion disorder. Maybe it's bull****. Could be a lot of things. Edited by GalacticKegger

Could also be that it is his money to spend as he wants and this is how he wants to spend it.

Yes, and I see that there are people on the forums that just don't WANT to understand what I am talking about and rather argue about things that are not necessary at all. This is MY way of playing, this is MY understanding of players, this is MY understanding of the game, that is my view back to four years of playing, and that is MY personal thread where I talk about the problems I, and many others, have with the game right now. :p

Have a nice day :)

Edited by LordSodos

Yes, and I see that there are people on the forums that just don't WANT to understand what I am talking about and rather argue about things that are not necessary at all. This is MY way of playing, this is MY understanding of players, this is MY understanding of the game, that is my view back to four years of playing, and that is MY personal thread where I talk about the problems I, and many others, have with the game right now. :p

Have a nice day :)

Most of what you said I don't agree with, and you saying that people who don't play the way you do are wrong and lazy I disagree with a bunch, but, your money you should spend it in a way that you like on stuff you want or things you want to do.

Most of what you said I don't agree with, and you saying that people who don't play the way you do are wrong and lazy I disagree with a bunch, but, your money you should spend it in a way that you like on stuff you want or things you want to do.

No, not the way I want, but the way the game offers it. If you got two options. You walk, or run to a mission or you take a quicktravel shuttle. If you choose the quicktravel, you are lazy, or don't have time. And who has no time is just too lazy to get himself time.

I don't like people who play the game as pure fun or to calm down in the evening at all. I like people who feel themselves into the game and the games becomes their 2nd life. But that is, as I said, my personal view.

Edited by LordSodos