Black hair?

Axcalion

Why is there no true black hair (at least not for humans) in the game?

The "blackish" options are actually greenish or dark grey and look really weird.

So could we please have some real black hair as a hair color?

I'll even pay for it in the Cartel Market.

SERIOUSLY.

I know it's minor, but that's just it - it's so minor. We've gotten pink, green, blue, red, and about 20 different shades of blond. Black is one of the most ubiquitous hair colors around the world. Why don't we have at least one decent black? There's certainly enough multiracial representation in the game to warrant it, even just ignoring the fact that it's common, pretty, and easy to make.

:confused:

Maybe it's your PC or monitor? My human BH has been through dozens of hairstyles and colors over the last years and I recently went back to her original with the black color and it is in fact black. She wears a black and dark red outfit so if it wasn't true black, it would be very obvious.

Maybe it's your PC or monitor? My human BH has been through dozens of hairstyles and colors over the last years and I recently went back to her original with the black color and it is in fact black. She wears a black and dark red outfit so if it wasn't true black, it would be very obvious.

Cartel Market Hair - http://s27.postimg.org/nba4g4jfn/swtor_2015_12_17_10_21_35_631.jpg

Vanilla Hair - http://s27.postimg.org/nck29jl9f/swtor_2015_12_17_10_21_45_238.jpg

Imo, even the vanilla hair could be a bit darker.

It highly depends on the lighting, and yes, probably on the graphical settings a bit. But I'm not going to turn everything pitch black just to get rid of that green sheen on SWTOR when on every other game my characters actually have black hair. And the outfits don't do it, it's limited to hair colors.

The hair in this game in general is all pretty nasty looking, but I agree the Cartel styles are even worse. Something goes wrong with the colors. Black turns into that puke green color, it's messed up. Wish I never bought them.

There is a setting on your monitor called "Contrast" it adjusts the differance between the light and dark parts of your monitors display. Many people never set their monitor to have solid blacks displayed on their screen.

Also LCD screens DO NOT display true black because of the light pannel behind the LCD screen that illuminates the pixels. LCD will allways allow some light to leak through making blacks appear grey. The only way to have true solid black is to have an LED screen NOT LED backlit screen. LED displays are monitor that uses little tiny LED's to make the image. Unfortunely not may so called LED monitors are true LED displays, most are LED backlit screens.

Now if you paid over $600 to $800 for a 24" monitor then you most likly have a true LED display but I am sure that most of us did not. Thus we have an LED backlit LCD display.

Another little thing to consider it a little thing called Contrast Ratio. Unless your LCD dispaly as OVER 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio then you WILL not see true black on your screen and even at over 1,000,000:1 ratios LCD will still allow a small amount of light to leak through thus making black seem slightly grey.

LCD because of the way they work simply can not display TRUE BLACK. They can only display NEAR BLACK.

Cartel Market Hair - http://s27.postimg.org/nba4g4jfn/swtor_2015_12_17_10_21_35_631.jpg

Vanilla Hair - http://s27.postimg.org/nck29jl9f/swtor_2015_12_17_10_21_45_238.jpg

Imo, even the vanilla hair could be a bit darker.

yeah..that's not what mine look like on my laptop screen. I'm guessing I run my contrast a lot higher (always been a personal preference for me) than many of you. I would assume the two colors you are showing were washed out brown and brown. Neither look like the black hair I see through the cartel market.

yeah..that's not what mine look like on my laptop screen. I'm guessing I run my contrast a lot higher (always been a personal preference for me) than many of you. I would assume the two colors you are showing were washed out brown and brown. Neither look like the black hair I see through the cartel market.

No, that is the black. I could show the brown if you want.

No, that is the black. I could show the brown if you want.

You missed my point. That is how you see the black setting. My black setting through the cartel market is darker than your screenshot. My brown setting looks like your screenshot.

I keep my contrast higher than normal as I am from the old days of CRTs and loved having true blacks and whites so I tried to get that as best I can on my LCD screens. This wouldn't be reflected on a screenshot though, so perhaps if I did a screenshot, I would see colors like yours were I took look at it on a different monitor...looking at it on my screen would just rebalance it again.

I'm basically saying that it's possible to set your LCD screen to mask this without making the game quality bad, in fact, you may find the increased color saturation and truer blacks and whites visually more appealing.

edit: to expand on this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Calibrate-your-display

Not all monitors are created the same and if you've never balanced your monitor properly, you can't really blame the developer for poor color quality when they are using number codes that are far more accurate than the color balance of your screen.

Edited by kjfett

You missed my point. That is how you see the black setting. My black setting through the cartel market is darker than your screenshot. My brown setting looks like your screenshot.

I keep my contrast higher than normal as I am from the old days of CRTs and loved having true blacks and whites so I tried to get that as best I can on my LCD screens. This wouldn't be reflected on a screenshot though, so perhaps if I did a screenshot, I would see colors like yours were I took look at it on a different monitor...looking at it on my screen would just rebalance it again.

I'm basically saying that it's possible to set your LCD screen to mask this without making the game quality bad, in fact, you may find the increased color saturation and truer blacks and whites visually more appealing.

edit: to expand on this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Calibrate-your-display

Not all monitors are created the same and if you've never balanced your monitor properly, you can't really blame the developer for poor color quality when they are using number codes that are far more accurate than the color balance of your screen.

I sort of see what you mean, but my monitor is (for some reason) in spanish so I have no idea how to fine tune the settings but when I selected a darker preset the hair was much better looking. When I get enough time later I'll mess around with it.

I sort of see what you mean, but my monitor is (for some reason) in spanish so I have no idea how to fine tune the settings but when I selected a darker preset the hair was much better looking. When I get enough time later I'll mess around with it.

Not sure why you are seeing Spanish, but you can also lower the brightness setting if you can find it as that also tends to wash out colors. Again, I generally keep this a bit lower than normal to help the blacks be as black as possible...someone else mentioned how LCD black pixels still have light in them, so lowering brightness allows them to get as dark as they can.

And the outfits don't do it, it's limited to hair colors.

Actually it does. I put black/black dye pack on my lvl 40 PvP Jug gear and it has a green hue to it. My friends would verify that it was showing this green hue/tint to it. The original color was purple. I put black secondary pack in Lana's gear for my Sorc and it had the same thing again it was verified by friends of mine.

I submitted a ticket to CS about this and they said 'it was because of lighting/shading. When I reopened the now closed ticket, I referenced the 2 black CM armor that is all black and they don't show a green hue/tint no matter the light. Their answer, 'we'll investigate it.' That was more than a year ago. The problem is the dye pack. They won't do anything to fix it. They don't care.

Actually it does. I put black/black dye pack on my lvl 40 PvP Jug gear and it has a green hue to it. My friends would verify that it was showing this green hue/tint to it. The original color was purple. I put black secondary pack in Lana's gear for my Sorc and it had the same thing again it was verified by friends of mine.

I submitted a ticket to CS about this and they said 'it was because of lighting/shading. When I reopened the now closed ticket, I referenced the 2 black CM armor that is all black and they don't show a green hue/tint no matter the light. Their answer, 'we'll investigate it.' That was more than a year ago. The problem is the dye pack. They won't do anything to fix it. They don't care.

...you put a black dye in Lana's gear more than a year ago? Am I missing something? :confused:

Turn off your "Bloom".

My bloom has never been on.

Brightness set to minimum, contrast set to maximum.

Nope still so green hair.

Fix it please.

And the "black" color does indeed look quite black on the original hairstyles. But those released through the cartel market just look greenish, especially in well-lit places.

Edited by Axcalion

My bloom has never been on.

Brightness set to minimum, contrast set to maximum.

Nope still so green hair.

Fix it please.

And the "black" color does indeed look quite black on the original hairstyles. But those released through the cartel market just look greenish, especially in well-lit places.

Yes, changing my contrast and that helped with the greeny black hair but now my brown hair looks black too lol - I can tolerate that because my only brown haired character can go lighter when I get enough cc.

All the people who are chiming in to blame peoples' monitors, you're all the ones smoking something green.

My monitor is calibrated for graphic-arts work and there is a massive difference between how the old hairstyles look vs the new ones. That's not a monitor issue so kindly stop polluting the thread with that BS. Either your monitors are the ones that are broken or you are completely missing the point that the problem is most prominent on the newer cartel market hairs, which likely were done by someone else who screwed up the grayscale values.

I had to give my smuggler a brown afro because the "black" just looked so awful.

What most people don't know is that all the hair-colors in this game are done with a single black and white texture that is just tinted across the entire "face" of the mesh. That is why at no point we will ever see two-toned hair like Sabine's. They'd have to redesign the whole system.

What would easily solve this problem is to let people use a color wheel or RGB sliders to tint our hair whatever the heck we want, but nooooooo! Can't give players too many options. Might confuse our teeny little minds. :rolleyes: