4.03 changes and Carnage burst/DPS questions

Iserahn

So no numbers are included in the patch notes so what do they mean?

we have one buff and one nerf, my first guess is that they nerfed burst while keeping sustained DPS same, but do we have any info on numbers?

Yes we do have information on numbers and percentages. However since such numbers would come from datamined information we're not allowed to talk about them here. Nice of Bioware to be so informative about the implications of their changes isn't it.

Yes we do have information on numbers and percentages. However since such numbers would come from datamined information we're not allowed to talk about them here. Nice of Bioware to be so informative about the implications of their changes isn't it.

that is actually wrong. We know from patchnotes that they increase surge from 10% to 15% on Blade Rush and Clashing Blast. By looking at the tool tip for clashing blast we can determine how much damage was lost from pre 4.0.3. Overall, Combat lost ~48 dps in full 224 or 0.7%

we have one buff and one nerf, my first guess is that they nerfed burst while keeping sustained DPS same, but do we have any info on numbers?

Combat

The damage dealt by Clashing Blast has been reduced.

Saber Storm now increases the critical strike damage bonus of Blade Rush and Clashing Blast by 15% (up from 10%)

I dont know numbers of CB dmg red, but increasing Saber Storm increases sustained dps and counters some of the CB reduction burst dps loss. Since you only use critting CB, its technically a 15% dmg increase in burst dps. If "The damage dealt by Clashing Blast has been reduced." is less than 14% dmg reduction, than actually burst dps gets higher. If "The damage dealt by Clashing Blast has been reduced." means more than 14% reduction, than our burst got nerfed. The "has been reduced" term don't mean that much reduction as i recall, so our sustained and burst dps both got buffed I think.

Not sure if this is still of interest or if everyone knows yet. The average DPS decrease across all three item levels (216, 220, 224) after mathematical analysis was -30 DPS. This means if you're following my Carnage/Combat guides you still gear the same as before, nothing has changed there. With that said the percentage changes were the stated 5% increase on Sever/Saber Storm passives and ~ 6.7% decrease on Clashing Blast's baseline damage.

I parsed roughly the same (a bit higher, but could be RNG).

There's a 6.7% decrease on clashing blast, but the critical damage of clashing blast and blade rush is up from 15% from 10%. This actually doesn't really hurt clashing blast much and should be an overall increase to sustain dps.

If you have a proper rotation, you really only use clashing blast on crit, so clashing blast only down 2.45% if you do the math. And.. you get a 4.54% over-all increase to blade rush. If you look at parses, usually blade rush and clashing blasts are the two highest damage contributor and in most parses. For me blade rush makes up about 25% and clashing blast makes up about 24%, depending on person (I've seen some other people's parses with clashing blast at 24% vs. blade rush 22%). But usually they're similar. If you look it this way, this could contribute to a very small over-all DPS increase, in theory.