I just whispered you why can you not take the time to tell back!

oregondonor

It may just be my experience so far, but I am completely confused about why I can not get anyone to respond to my /tells. I am not asking dumb questions or trolling but simple questions or even something like the following "Hey here is a free piece of gear you look like you can use, go ahead and take it" Trade complete no response.....

Again this may just be my personal experience but I am curious if anyone else has had the same thoughts.

I joined a quick group for an instance. I was talking in /party and /say without any response. I start saying my chat must be broken, can anyone see this? Then I tried two tells, before finally giving up. Then as we are running out, one of the socially "special" group members finally says, "yep, I can see it."

I don't even bother with pugs any more. The only difference between a pug and my companion is that I have to share loot while companion is far more interesting and literate.

Some people are new at this sort of thing and might not know how to respond to a whisper or how to talk in the game.

Just shrug it off.

EDIT: Also, as the poster below pointed out, the chat in this game is....wonky (to put it kindly). It can be difficult to see when you get a whisper, and not having chat bubbles makes it nigh impossible to see when someone says something in /say or even /party. I have created a separate window just for certain channels to make it easier but I still hate it, and I know that the vast majority either doesn't bother or doesn't know how to make a separate chat tab.

Edited by belialle

The issue isn't with the chat, it's with the community. :)

No, it's with chat.

Sadly the current chat system is laid out so that you never can really tell when you get a whisper. Both audible and visual clues are so poorly implemented that it's VERY easy to miss a whisper (even with the chat window extended to it's max size).

I constantly have people in Ventrillo tell me to whisper them back or ask about why I didn't respond. Point being, that even with friends/guildmates the chat system is a mess.

Edited by Arkimor

Lol also another possibility depending what server you're on.

Well, I've tried being nice, saved a few people when I saw fights were going badly. So I stood and healed them making sure they were OK, until the fight was over. Not once did anyone say 'thanks'. They just run off after I have healed them to full health:(

I remember in my early MMO's people always said 'thank you' if you just buffed them even.

meh if you want to give some gear away just spam general chat. it seems that you are a wonderful person trying to do good for the community for giving away free gear... just keep in mind that this mmo might be their first mmo due to it being a star wars game. they may not even realize that you was sending them a tell.

The issue isn't with the chat, it's with the community. :)

I disagree. If someone /tell 's me, of course I'll respond... if I see it. Only problem is I frequently miss people talking to me, especially if I'm paying attention to the story or in combat.

Many times, while I'm doing my main solo storyline I'll even minimize the chat for a few minutes so I don't have...

"OMG THIS GAME IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN WOW"

or

"OMG WOW IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THIS GAME"

...ruining the moment.

When someone doesn't respond to me, I naturally assume it's because they didn't see my message. I don't take offense, as I'm sure I've not responded to a few people, but I've never purposely ignored anyone.

Edited by Wishpig

It may just be my experience so far, but I am completely confused about why I can not get anyone to respond to my /tells. I am not asking dumb questions or trolling but simple questions or even something like the following "Hey here is a free piece of gear you look like you can use, go ahead and take it" Trade complete no response.....

Again this may just be my personal experience but I am curious if anyone else has had the same thoughts.

Yes, the game is clearly broken because someone did not respond to your whisper. Good grief.

It's really easy to miss the chat. Not only is it stuck up in the corner of the screen but it only takes one good fight to completely fill up the window with log info.

I also don't find it intuitive to use so I generally don't bother and just hope people assume that I'm not trying to be a jerk. Unfortunately that doesn't help create a good sense of community.

Some people just don't respond to random tells. In my case, I have chat turned off for about half the time because the general chat is full of so much nonsense and if I turn to disable and re-enable just the general chat, it ends up getting bugged. So easier just to turn off chat much of the time unless I'm looking for groups.

I personally constantly miss IM's, Guildchat, Partychat, Operationschat.

Because I have my chat windows minimized to the max, so as I can enjoy and immerse myself in the storytelling aspect of the game completely :)

That's my excuse to not replying to various Chat mediums.

Well, I've tried being nice, saved a few people when I saw fights were going badly. So I stood and healed them making sure they were OK, until the fight was over. Not once did anyone say 'thanks'. They just run off after I have healed them to full health:(

I remember in my early MMO's people always said 'thank you' if you just buffed them even.

Do they even know you healed them? Did they ask for you to heal them?

As for chat not working or people not responding, many people like myself have shut chat off completely and closed the box. So it simply could be they didn't see it.