The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unrestrict Saber Colors, Soon

NightfireFox

TOR is the very first Star Wars game (and I've played A LOT of them) to restrict saber colors based on alignment.

I'm willing to bet that very few people give a rat's *** about film canon, or George's canon nowadays.

Let us be the Jedi and Sith we want to be.

I seem to recall a couple Dark Jedi that used blue crystals in fact (Anakin and Sariss).

Restricting making the character what we want it to be will only hurt the game in the long run.

you can thank the immersion whiners for ruining your diversity.

Oh believe me I'm all for immersion. I think you mean film purists. Which yes, should be euthanized.

The more I can make my character unique, make them mine the more immersed I will be.

I know this is only the beginning, but I don't want to take a break because Bioware isn't listening. Players don't like being restrained.

I don't think Bioware will ever change this. And I personally hope that they don't as well.

I won't go into my reasons on this.

Suffice it to say that you will notice how the cinematic movies adhere to the colours laid down in the actual movies.

In the trailers, you don't see Malgus or any of the Sith in the trailers using anything BUT red sabers. And you don't see Shatele using a red crystal saber.

Edited by Tarka

I don't think Bioware will ever change this. And I personally hope that they don't as well.

I won't go into my reasons on this.

Suffice it to say that you will notice how the cinematic movies adhere to the colours laid down in the actual movies.

You don't see Malgus or any of the Sith in the trailers using anything but red.

Likewise, you don't see Shatele using a red crystal saber either.

I saw Sariss using a blue saber (Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II)

I saw Sariss using a blue saber (Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II)

The cinematic trailers for SWTOR show Sith force users using red, and Rep force users NOT using red.

What happens in others games or previous occasions in the EU lore is irrelevant.

The fact is that the trailers for SWTOR are adhering to the original IP (i.e. the original movies) in this respect.

And so is the game.

Edited by Tarka

Exactly. Let the player be whoever they want to be.

Whilst I'm all for options, there is a line that needs to be drawn in certain circumstances.

Personally speaking, I'm all for keeping such iconic elements of identity that help to define the factions.

For instance, characters who are followers of jedi / sith teachings shouldn't be allowed to use weapons like blasters in the game. Likewise, I feel that certain saber colours help to define a specific type of character / faction. Just like they do in the movies.

Edited by Tarka