Companion Balance Changes

MichaelBackus

Took some time off from game for a few months waiting on the expansion (game just can't seem to hold me in very long when all there is to do is farm ops and dailies for gear.....to farm faster).

Came back with a packed full inventory of companion gear..... Gear that no longer applies stats to my companions... I look at the hours upon hours and creds spent crafting for them.... and the hours spent on Yavin going after that elite gear....and now you are telling me you just changed it all?

Really takes away from the diversity of your play in my opinion. I mean...a Heroic 2 can be solo'd? So what? Props to the player for grinding to get their companion geared up to do it!! I think the companion nerf was the cheapest way to fix the problem.... Overpowered companions or underpowered game play? Seems easier to nerf the companions and player stats in a given zone, etc. than have to beef up the zones.

Now I feel I wasted a ton of time and left with an arsenal of "legacy leftovers" I can't even strip down to use on my character. So now only your character is able to be upgraded? That's boring..... and bottlenecks the game even more into "We all are the same thing....we just look different" approach.

2 thumbs down on that one.... I give it another week or so before I get bored with SWTOR again....I sure do miss City of Heroes....

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean...a Heroic 2 can be solo'd? So what? Props to the player for grinding to get their companion geared up to do it!

Have always been doable. Some of them were tougher to do if you were only 1-2 levels above the quest level.

Most of them were really easy if you were tank. I even used dps companions most of the time. Healer only for harder pulls. I even used dps companion as tank on Combat Medic Commando. Of course that meant that in boss fights I would be alone kiting the boss and spam healing whenever I could. Was it difficult? Yes, but fun.

"Shoot! Run and hide! Heal! Heal! Shoot! Stun! Run! Heal!"

Gear wise it didn't matter too much. Same 8 level rule I used for my characters.

Edited by Halinalle

Exactly my point... It was fun when you were attempting an H2 on a planet and either didn't feel like grouping up...or no one was doing it. I do't see where an OP companion even in H4 with 2 players hurts anyone... It doesn't take anything away from anyone.... I mean.....so.... before the zone and companion nerfs people would send off companions to kill mobs.....So some would go do the H4 in Black Hole and herd up a few mobs and let their companion kill while they went and got a burger.... I just don't see where this takes away anything.... Nerfing was just a huge waste of resources in my opinion....

Companions for different roles was ok.. But for various toon to toon reasons we solely prefer certain more special ones. The pre change you had to dramatically change as one leveled to provide self healing or comp worry management. The gear lvl diff had to wandering into serious pain as some lvl 60 was Bounty hunting in the middle of your needed quest.. or soem Raghoul event made going to a planet impossible grief grief grief.. [sort of like comps romance when you dotn want it]

Higher difficulty is a cop out and often seen in mmos from people for dif reasons Level Caps a very big cause for frustration so its easy cause you got to it well after the level. or you dont like weekly grinds and want something new.

Comps are not OP they are made better so we have more freedom to solo in areas when a server is low and people are in kotfe and not in the original areas. the more sub mini games made the fewer are in areas so we need more from the Comp.. and even it out with a extra helper droid liek the nice use of our skills in Flashpoints to repair battle or medical droids so we can focus on being in the trenches and not on the sidelines micro managing comps in battle for non-healers.

Speed leveling is the culprit in many play defection issues not the quality of provided areas.. if you dont join and your guild is months ahead they top out and changing comps isent going to change..that. super lvl advancing to have more people in the new expansion hurt building teams but did gave people that had lvl capped a new bit of fun they really wanted. its a tough balance here trying to get the comps affection influence when you get a new one so often so that change was well done. outfits we want them to wear at dif tiems is important. filling our mail box w dupe items for them was a bit messy on inv space .. i mean you almost had to start a guild just to store these items that if reeng or sold were sent back.. and stil lbugs on off hand weapons slot happen for many...

Inqusitor boneface comp has emty off hand and his shield gen is nowhere ;/

Edited by SenshiBat