low fps (low cpu usage, low gpu usage)

BIGssdl

i just wanna play

i have more fps anover games (wow, teso, fc4 and many) and this games use cpu ang gpu for better fps

Now this game certainly has issues because of the engine, but just to explain...

While WoW has gotten a little more advanced over the years, in the end you are talking about a game which, when launched, could be run on a toaster. It still has some of the lowest system requirements I have seen for that quality of an MMO.

ESO gets around this by, keeping stuff simple in different way. The admitted designing more of an ES game with a multiplayer option. A such it is heavily instanced and as such throws like half the crap at you a WoW, Rift, or SWTOR will at any given time. (wanna see FPS issues check out Rift. This game it depends where I am and what I am doing. I can get 99fps or 30 depending on that. Rift I can't break 40 fps regardless what I do and I have a pretty good system.)

FC4 is an open world FPS game. It supports up to two players at a time (if I remember right.) As such it throws 1/100th of the stuff an MMO throws at you.

Again this game engine has issues BUT if you do an apples to apples comparison...MMOs launched in the last 3 years, make sure they are REAL MMOs and not trying to fake it like ESO... then the only 1 I see consistently better performance with is GW2 and that game cut down seriously on textures, shadow detail etc to do it.

Look at your CPU, not just GPU. SWTOR does A LOT of rendering on the CPU as well as tracking all the other players, chat, stats etc. Then realize that while it does have multi-core performance it's basically designed around 2 cores. basically 1 thread is HUGE and the other smaller... so your single threaded performance is VERY important. That means that AMD will always lag behind Intel because AMD typically has poorer single threaded performance.

Edited by Ghisallo

• 3 weeks later...

When i bought my laptop with very good mobile hdw i had SWTOR at the beggining on full with shadows, aa etc and had 80 - 100 fps (60 with full fleet) But since 3.0 (not sure if it's that a reason or not, because in the same day i installed the newest gpu drivers from nvidia) started to have brutal fps drops - because low gpu/cpu usage. Tried almost everything. Checked, tested my hdw, soft - some clients modification etc.. - nothing helped. Now i get used on it. And slowly i am stopping play pvps because my 20-30 are not enough. Can't play with mara or stealth classes - it's unplayable. Raids with more then 8 people are unplayable as well.

So ....

screenshoot last string: 30.8% - cpu usage

You probably have a quad core then, it is using all of 1 core and a bit of the second, which is about normal.

The only way to reach 100% CPU on a quad core is to have a 4 threaded program using all 4 threads at full thrust, which this game isn't and won't.

On my i7, which is quad core, 8 threads, I usually get around 20% CPU usage, give or take.

When i bought my laptop with very good mobile hdw i had SWTOR at the beggining on full with shadows, aa etc and had 80 - 100 fps (60 with full fleet) But since 3.0 (not sure if it's that a reason or not, because in the same day i installed the newest gpu drivers from nvidia) started to have brutal fps drops - because low gpu/cpu usage. Tried almost everything. Checked, tested my hdw, soft - some clients modification etc.. - nothing helped. Now i get used on it. And slowly i am stopping play pvps because my 20-30 are not enough. Can't play with mara or stealth classes - it's unplayable. Raids with more then 8 people are unplayable as well.

So ....

I used to play on max graphics (aside shadows) with my old laptop, took a break and game back after 3.0 Only thing i could keep on high was textures after that and the fps still wasn't as up there. 3.0 messed something up.