The role of companions is what?

Cindron

One of the big deals they made when SWTOR started was that you had a companion and the flexibility it provided. Now I have to ask what the goal is?

Remove the ability to gear them

Remove the ability to customize appearance

Remove their individual ability example being one character good for healing or tanking etc.

Drastically reduce any interaction with them. Level 10 to 31 influence so far no one wants to engage, add content.

Raise their stats to raging lion then knock em down to kitten

AND THEN.....give us what, 26 of them?

Why, whats the point, they all do the same thing now. They all look the same now. It looks like a really bad movie out there right now with dozens of clones wandering behind us.

At least we can now choose companions based on whether we want to roll with them or not. Didn't much care for the "congrats, you can't heal, so you have to roll with this companion who can" setup pre-4.0.

And I love that they made tanking companions viable (sans the bug). I've rolled with Khem from level 1 to 63 now, as a tank, and it is much less painful than pre-expansion where Khem had to heal up after every pull. Even with the nerf to his self-healing while tanking, I can pull stuff ad libitum without having to worry about him falling over suddenly.

My only complaint is that he's still struggling to hold aggro, but I'm a tank, so I guess that's not a valid complaint, really.

"At least we can now choose companions based on whether we want to roll with them or not. Didn't much care for the "congrats, you can't heal, so you have to roll with this companion who can" setup pre-4.0."

Thats very true and can appreciate that but for me that added to their individual characteristics. Just like we are one class so were they. Thinking on that, in a sense they are more powerful than us being able to switch between all classes!

Besides, now with all the companions you get, if they had split them between the classes that would be about 6 in each class to choose from?

"At least we can now choose companions based on whether we want to roll with them or not. Didn't much care for the "congrats, you can't heal, so you have to roll with this companion who can" setup pre-4.0."

Thats very true and can appreciate that but for me that added to their individual characteristics. Just like we are one class so were they. Thinking on that, in a sense they are more powerful than us being able to switch between all classes!

Besides, now with all the companions you get, if they had split them between the classes that would be about 6 in each class to choose from?

Still a 33% chance of being able to run with the companion you want to run with. I prefer 100%. You can still put gear on them, and you can still turn them back to their "original" roles. The only thing I miss are companion flavor abilities, like Khem's self-heal AOE attack, or Jaesa's Force Lightning attack.

Here's hoping they add some flavor down the line.

I just use them as crafting missioners now

And thats a thought, why didnt they atleast increase the number of companions you could send out? I have this vision of them all sitting at a stronghold at one of the giant circular couches their feet on the tables all talking about nothing.

Its just annoying in a game that is expanding and looking for ways to improve they chop and hack away at the companion to the point they are not 25% of what they were intended to be. Take away gear because people didnt like grinding for it then change and increase influence so...people have to grind for it. Take away unique skills, take away interaction, now they follow along like ghosts, spitting out one liners if you accidentally click on them while picking something up.

It may have been a small thing to some but I enjoyed interaction, each characters personality.

One of the big deals they made when SWTOR started was that you had a companion and the flexibility it provided. Now I have to ask what the goal is?

Remove the ability to gear them

Remove the ability to customize appearance

Remove their individual ability example being one character good for healing or tanking etc.

Drastically reduce any interaction with them. Level 10 to 31 influence so far no one wants to engage, add content.

Raise their stats to raging lion then knock em down to kitten

AND THEN.....give us what, 26 of them?

Why, whats the point, they all do the same thing now. They all look the same now. It looks like a really bad movie out there right now with dozens of clones wandering behind us.

This... is actually a pretty good point.

Take away unique skills, take away interaction, now they follow along like ghosts, spitting out one liners if you accidentally click on them while picking something up.

Not sure how the interaction is any different from pre-expansion. Your companion stories unfold as you level up, not as you gain influence. Once you do all the companion missions, their interaction is very limited, but it's been like that always.