Is it me or is the romancing stuff kinda..embarrasing?;)

runar_smugler

I dont know...but I have always felt that romance in games is kinda wierd...I feel embarrased...I feel uneasy..I feel I even cheat on my own RL girlfriend hehe...I mean...I love XXX rated stuff in all parts of life and I watch it all the time...but THAT is NOT romance hehe...Romance is TOO Close/TOO personal/TOO intimate if you get my drift..

And particulary when i sort of have to play the third part in it...deciding how my playing toon shall interact with the potential romance companions...I feel I'm sort of first hand eyewitnessing something that is personal between two ppl...and neither of those two ppl are ME...I feel like I'm the third person..controlling them in a wierd way...

I dont know...it might be me...but I feel sooo wierd about it...I am oftem tempted to use the "flirt" option...because it lures me into it hehe...but I feel soo bad after watching what it can lead too..kisses and other intimate moments that I DID NOT want to be part off!

Anyone else having similar issues?:)

Some peoples RP , and some others put some of themself in their charachter .

Have you tried either ? cose it sound like you are...hum..disconnected?

if it make you feel unconfortable , you aren't missing much not doing romances . (Not doing any beyond Lana due to her being same gender for me)......So...all really up to you .

Nah, to me it is sort of like when I write a story in which two of the characters develop a relationship only in this case, it is more akin to a collaboration I suppose: One is a character written by someone else and developed by them and the other is a character I've more or less developed. A bit different since there is still restrictions placed upon how I develop my character and I select the dialogue that is written by someone else.

Ark, that comparison got a bit away from me but hopefully what I meant by it stil make sense.

yea..I know I'm not the best RP'er..that might be part of it. I remember taking part in a live role playing game when i was younger. ....god knows why i did. I just wanted to go home and escape the crazy other ppl hehe.

I do immerse myself into games..i truly do..but I dont think that I ever consider myself as my toon. In swtor less so even..maybe its because his voice ain't my own...voice acting i love, but it maybe part of why I dont feel my toon is me sort of.

Yea I know I can skip the romance thing altogehter....but as a generally flirty person by nature real life, I seldom give up the opportunity when the option sort of flash in your face lol. Its hard NOT to choose the flirt option when it occurs in game per say hehe....I just wish i did not feel so bad about it after...

Nah, to me it is sort of like when I write a story in which two of the characters develop a relationship only in this case, it is more akin to a collaboration I suppose: One is a character written by someone else and developed by them and the other is a character I've more or less developed. A bit different since there is still restrictions placed upon how I develop my character and I select the dialogue that is written by someone else.

Ark, that comparison got a bit away from me but hopefully what I meant by it stil make sense.

I just explanation I would say:)

But personally I'm not very good at creating story about other ppl either....I might not be a good novelist;) (I know i failed completely at school when we should write short stories...my skill was in debating for or against real life issues..gene manipulations...environmental hassards etc...) I'm extremly skilled talking about myself and my feelings, and i love to listen to other ppl about their stories too....but ONLY real life stories ;) I'm a dreamer by nature I think, but I never dream about fantasy if you catch my drift hehe....

But I understand completely what you are saying, cause I dont think I ever can write a love story...I would feel to uneasy..to wierd doing it. And I know also other VERY famous writers that struggle when it comes to writing about love..relationships etc...

I guess WHO you are in real life WILL influence how you deal with "romance" in games:)

Edited by runar_smugler

You don't have to write a novel about your charachter . But you could..expand on whats already offered . Hum for exemple , set their personality (are they greedy? do they have a short temper? are they not very educated? and so on)...

wich can work charms during dialogues . For exemple , I played my BH as someone who is awesome at shooting but a complete idiot when it come to tech and recognizing a rodian and such . So during dialogues , I would pick the answer that make her ask Mako 'what is that again?' ...

I also gave her a morale compass , she can shoot for a bounty but draw the line say for evocii or Hutt cruelty . if she can outsmart her customers , there is a chance she can do good and get the pay as well..

and so on...and you don't have to write this stuff up lol Just...imagine it . Using Escp during a dialogue reload the conversation and you can choose something else..keep that in mind .

Hmm here follows a little mind analysis and free writing...try to keep up;)

Yea I know I could make up to play my toon is certain ays etc...maybe my problem is that i play my toon as a reflection on myself in real life.....for example..I simply cant choose a dark side choice....99% of the time..simply because I feel its disgusting in real life and I cant role play to be evil....

But playing a reflection of myself can sometimes be bad i guess...because in real life I would choose VERY carefully who I flirt with (because of consequence), but since this is a game I am far more "free" (because NO concequence), but in my mind the result is still awkward;) (as it WOULD have been extremly awkward in real life too;) )

I know I can choose not to ever flirt in game, but as said...I'm flirty by nature in real life and I have a hard time playing something else than a sort of "reflection of my mind/nature".....

I think the problem lies in....I play a reflection of my mind, but NOT how I would be/respond in real life. Sort of..I play a reflection of myself in a world where there was NO concequence based on my choices.

The good thing is: I know my mind is relatively kind and i dont want to do evil things..

The bad thing is: My flirty or vulgar mind gets TOO much attention in the game...by the choices I make lol...I can hide it in real life...but its difficult in a game where there is no real concequence...

Hmmm...not easy;)!!!!

Edited by runar_smugler

It only feels kind of awkward when it comes down to kissing (especially when by bethotred sits right behind me) as for the rest I still try to be alone in the room, don't know why, it just feels like demanding a bit of privacy and I feel it not only playing video games but also reading books or watching movies :o

It's strange to think about it and realize all the feels :p

I dont know...but I have always felt that romance in games is kinda wierd...I feel embarrased...I feel uneasy..I feel I even cheat on my own RL girlfriend hehe...I mean...I love XXX rated stuff in all parts of life and I watch it all the time...but THAT is NOT romance hehe...Romance is TOO Close/TOO personal/TOO intimate if you get my drift..

And particulary when i sort of have to play the third part in it...deciding how my playing toon shall interact with the potential romance companions...I feel I'm sort of first hand eyewitnessing something that is personal between two ppl...and neither of those two ppl are ME...I feel like I'm the third person..controlling them in a wierd way...

I dont know...it might be me...but I feel sooo wierd about it...I am oftem tempted to use the "flirt" option...because it lures me into it hehe...but I feel soo bad after watching what it can lead too..kisses and other intimate moments that I DID NOT want to be part off!

Anyone else having similar issues?:)

it''s simply a different path your character can go. Like my Jedi Knight and Counselor, They don't pursue romantic interests because of the Jedi code. The story-line is simply, asking what your character would do in this situation. That's when you come in to guide your characters path.

I see the romantic options as part of a story. From my experience with the BH, my love interest, who is Torian, doesnt really do much in the way of romance. Once I maxed out on affection for him, he doesnt really do anything else. It may be different with other classes, havent played them fully yet. But, if you will awkward, just dont choose them. :jawa_tongue:

^^^ hehehe, love that emot.