Engineering PVP - Alarcity

GANGLETRONN

Havent played since release, wondering exactly how alarcity works in swtor

1. Does it effect GCD rate. (being able to use spells faster - applying dots faster)

would be very helpful in putting INT probe, dart, plasma and EMP before the player runs out of range of it.

2. Does it make dots tick faster? is the dot a fixed duration or is its duration decreased. (more ticks per 18 secs or just faster ticks in less seconds)

3. Does it effect energy regeneration rate.

4. Does it also make Plasma probe tick faster.

I dont have any credits to afford to change my gear to test and augment.

Thanks

Edited by GANGLETRONN

I have been testing it as much as i can right now i have ~7% alarcity and i can see a pretty big difference in the animations and time it takes to get off all my skills, plus i found in rank pvp especially i would die before i even got a chance to use all my DCDS ( being globaled ) of course i need more practice but I think the GCD was toooo slow for me and I end up not using a skill because I am too fast for myself..

I have been testing it as much as i can right now i have ~7% alarcity and i can see a pretty big difference in the animations and time it takes to get off all my skills, plus i found in rank pvp especially i would die before i even got a chance to use all my DCDS ( being globaled ) of course i need more practice but I think the GCD was toooo slow for me and I end up not using a skill because I am too fast for myself..

Part of the issue with our defenses is we have to see what's coming before it happens which is a skill in itself. None of our damage mitigation skills last that long so crucial we get the timing right. For me that's more important than alacrity.

Main reason why I won't be getting is down to plasma probe. I don't want to decrease the duration as I prefer the full 9 seconds. Admittedly I'm not that keen on arenas and pretty much stay away from them. Don't find it an interesting form of pvp.

To be honest I am finding the 7% alarcity amazing for engineering. With good positioning (say behind a pole) i can apply dots in a 1v1 situation before they can even get a cast off and return to LOSing them, rinse and repeat once you have INT, Dart, EP, PP, you can emp to stun them, step out snapshot, SoS, Frag by this time they will be near you either debilitate, diversion, or roll to another pillar, snap shot again. Also popping Shield Probe early so that if they do do any damage you will be fine and it will be up again faster. Having faster activation times means you can get debilitate off before they get their stun off also. All of this isnt posible without the reduction to GCD timers

as for the reduction to PP timer, you can place it much faster I find it less of a problem to redo my dots and place my probe with GCD reduction.

However that being said this is just MY PLAYSTYLE i generally move around quite alot always repositioning myself so usually dotting on the run, snapshotting on the run is also much quicker and wont immobilize you for very long at all

** TIP put crouch on quickbar where snipe is so it will make you go into cover and pressing the same button will fire off the snipe. I also do this for SoS. **

Part of the issue with our defenses is we have to see what's coming before it happens which is a skill in itself. None of our damage mitigation skills last that long so crucial we get the timing right. For me that's more important than alacrity.

Main reason why I won't be getting is down to plasma probe. I don't want to decrease the duration as I prefer the full 9 seconds. Admittedly I'm not that keen on arenas and pretty much stay away from them. Don't find it an interesting form of pvp.

Forgive me if this is wrong/they changed it but doesn't PP ignore alacrity, thus always being 9 seconds?

As for me I get good results from having 10% alacrity. My rule for PvP is only take enough alacrity to be noticeable, don't try to min-max alacrity.

I use SoS as an alacrity reference. with 10% alacrity I get .3 seconds off the cast time, so its worth it if just for getting the cast to finish faster thus increase the chance it finishes before it is LoS'ed. Before I took less alacrity because the only thing I saw a difference in that was noticeable was the GCD (.1 second off in 3.0). Basically, use the PvE min-maxer DPS stats as a Maximum alacrity level, measure that against what the minimum amount of alacrity is to see a measurable difference is, and pick a point between the two that facilitates utility compared to how much critical rating you are willing to lose.

Forgive me if this is wrong/they changed it but doesn't PP ignore alacrity, thus always being 9 seconds?

Possibly, I'm one of those people where I'm not hugely interested in stat stuff, I do very minimal min/maxing if any at all. I'm happy with how my stats are at the moment without any alacrity so I don't see it as something which is hugely required. One of these things where it's down to what works for you :)

I think I run with about 3% alacrity, just so that my crit chance doesn't go over 38% and hit diminishing returns, but It really depends on preference.

Alacrity will allow dots (Not sure about PP or OS) to tick faster, and will let you have lower cooldowns.

Crit will allow your Explosive Probe to hit for more if you want to burst someone down (Remember, auto-crits from Laze Target get additional surge equal to your crit change)

• 4 weeks later...

On my slinger I run ~8.5% alacrity(PvE build)

1. Does it effect GCD rate. (being able to use spells faster - applying dots faster)

would be very helpful in putting INT probe, dart, plasma and EMP before the player runs out of range of it.

Yes it absolutely does

2. Does it make dots tick faster? is the dot a fixed duration or is its duration decreased. (more ticks per 18 secs or just faster ticks in less seconds)

Faster tics in less seconds. The dot will tick an exact number of times, the more alacrity you have, the faster the dot will tic.

3. Does it effect energy regeneration rate.

Yes it does this as well. With my alacrity build I regen 1 extra energy every 2 seconds.

4. Does it also make Plasma probe tick faster.

Yes it does. It uses the same mechanics as applying DOTs

To sum it up having alacrity will increase your APM while helping you to avoid diminishing returns on crit. I'm still playing with the right balance (again for PvE content)

with the insane nerf we will have, i decided to test a full alacrity, running with 12% (up from 7%)

i tested last night and the result was fun : 7.9sec cooldown for SoS, 16.3 for explosive probe, interrogative probe doing 10k+ damage (more tics).

because yes i will continue to play engineering...BW can eat my probe -_-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.