Please add a day and night cycle.

Menasu

all the day time backgrounds are just painted- they would have to paint night time scenes for every map- another big implementation :)

Just look at what can be achieved using the HeroEngine, and then look at what you just posted:

Notice how the shadows AUTOMATICALLY change, and how the sky darkens in colour as the cycle progresses. This is apparently all part of the environment settings for each zone. Developers can assign the sky to be "static" (like what Bioware has done) or "dynamic" and tweak things like day cycle duration, etc.

Edited by Tarka

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Snip --

So basically you didn't read my post and just added your own as if it applied some how?? Got it..

I never mentioned the sky for a reason.. That is the easy part.. What does Nar Shaddaa look like during the day?? Until you answer that.. You don't have much to say..

How long are each planets days?? Again until you answer that.. You don't have much to say..

You missed what I said about time zones and missed the issues I addressed about the 20 planets.. They all can't be the same and can't be on the same cycle and can't have days that last exactly the same time.. Are you going to address this at all?? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but is there really a point to day/night cycles? In any game I've played, from WoW to LOTRO to Guild Wars, I never really noticed whether there was a day or night cycle unless a quest said "Oh this only happens at night" at which point I was just annoyed that I had to wait. So really, what's the functional point of the cycle?

So basically you didn't read my post and just added your own as if it applied some how?? Got it..

I never mentioned the sky for a reason.. That is the easy part.. What does Nar Shaddaa look like during the day?? Until you answer that.. You don't have much to say..

How long are each planets days?? Again until you answer that.. You don't have much to say..

You missed what I said about time zones and missed the issues I addressed about the 20 planets.. They all can't be the same and can't be on the same cycle and can't have days that last exactly the same time.. Are you going to address this at all?? :rolleyes:

What does Nar Shadda look like during the day?

Well, if you play a Republic and look at what Corouscant looks like during the day then you have a pretty good idea. The two aren't that dissimilar.

With the HeroEngine you don't HAVE to adhere to "real time". Some zones can have a quicker day/night cycle time than others. And none of them actually have to adhere to real local times either. This means that whilst one planet could conceivably have a day/night cycle of 1 hour. Another could have a cycle of 3.

So your entire argument about differences in day/night cycle durations is moot.

• Realtime day/night cycles.
  • Static times of day.
  • Different day/night cycles on a per zone (planet) basis.

Apparently the HeroEngine can do all of it.

Edited by Tarka

I'm sorry but is there really a point to day/night cycles? In any game I've played, from WoW to LOTRO to Guild Wars, I never really noticed whether there was a day or night cycle unless a quest said "Oh this only happens at night" at which point I was just annoyed that I had to wait. So really, what's the functional point of the cycle?

Dynamism. Not the metaphorical kind. Day/Night cycles add a sense that the world is lived-in, moving, in-motion, and alive. As opposed to stagnant, immovable, redundant, and bland.

Lol. No they wouldn't. That's rubbish.

Just look at what can be achieved using the HeroEngine:

Notice how the shadows AUTOMATICALLY change, and how the sky darkens in colour as the cycle progresses.

Do you really expect Dynamic entities (such as Dynamic lighting/shadows) to be used like that in an MMO? Dynamic entities cause huge performance issues in multiplayer games, let alone MMO's. I know this from experience from creating maps for Team Fortress 2.

MMO's have to keep Dynamic entites to a bare minimum or risk having astronomical system requirements. Right now, the only Dynamic entities that most MMO's have are the player/npc's, some have dynamic vehicles.

With that said, it is possible to do day and night cycles without using Dynamic entities like some MMO's have done already.

Edited by iResist

Do you really expect Dynamic entities (such as Dynamic lighting/shadows) to be used like that in an MMO? Dynamic entities cause huge performance issues in multiplayer games, let alone MMO's. I know this from experience from creating maps for Team Fortress 2.

MMO's have to keep Dynamic entites to a bare minimum or risk having astronomical system requirements. Right now, the only Dynamic entities that most MMO's have are the player/npc's, some have dynamic vehicles.

Have you played any MMO's which have dynamic day/night cycles? Or is SWTOR your first MMO?

Day/night cycles in an MMO is nothing new.

AOC has them.

WoW has them.

Others have them too.

Unlike others, SWTOR was built using an engine that was specifically built for making MMO's. An engine that INCLUDES day/night cycle capabilities.

Edited by Tarka

I'd like to see it happen... but perhaps in a way that makes it matter beyond visuals.

In other words, it may be difficult to retrofit it into old zones... but imagine a new territory where you go planetside and daytime is blisteringly hot and rife with certain threats, and nighttime is sub-zero cold, also with different conditions/objectives.

If I'm to make an analogy, I'll point to the film Pitch Black... daytime planetside was relatively safe, but nighttime opened up a host of problems thanks to the nocturnal predators.

Have you played any MMO's which have dynamic day/night cycles? Or is SWTOR your first MMO?

All current MMO's do day/night cycles without using Dynamic lighting or shadows. Most MMO's use preset lighting/shadows in their day/night cycles, not Dynamic lighting/shadows like the one show in that youtube video.

I would like day and night cycles... although they WOULD have to be different for each planet.

I would prefer more weather effects over that though.

To be honest, weather effects are actually in the game. Albeit hardly used.

Just try to go outside of the playfield in the Dune Sea on Tatooine and dust storms kick up as you get the "Exhaustion Zone" warning.

I don't think it's doable, actually. If you look closely at the textures, they mostly have lighting effects applied to the texture itself that reinforces the ambient light of the scene. if the sun were moving around, at certain times of day you'd have a shadow on both sides of an object-- one from the light source, the other baked into the texture itself.

It gives everything a really interesting, painterly sort of look, but it excludes a day/night cycle, I would think. If I'm incorrect and some environment artist is around, let me know.

All current MMO's do day/night cycles without using Dynamic lighting or shadows. Most MMO's use preset lighting/shadows in their day/night cycles, not Dynamic lighting/shadows like the one show in that youtube video.

I do believe you are incorrect.

Some MMO's are more advanced in these regards than you give them credit.

For instance, lets look at AOC:

(That's a 3 year old video btw).

I'm sorry, what was it you were saying about all current MMO's not having dynamic lighting effects? ;)

Anyhow, you seem to be missing the point: the previous video I showed you earlier is of the HeroEngine. The very SAME engine used for SWTOR. The fact is that the HeroEngine allows for individual environmental setups on a per zone basis. Such settings include Dynamic Sky effects (which includes Day/night cycles).

Edited by Tarka

To be honest, weather effects are actually in the game. Albeit hardly used.

Just try to go outside of the playfield in the Dune Sea on Tatooine and dust storms kick up as you get the "Exhaustion Zone" warning.

That's why I said MORE weather effects. Day and night would be cool, but I think rockin weather effects are even cooler.

That's why I said MORE weather effects. Day and night would be cool, but I think rockin weather effects are even cooler.

Sorry, I must have misread your post :)

However, I agree that weather effects are very cool to have too :)

Yes, because you're the voice of the developers. Get real.

I don't know why you people so blindly and so rudely defend legitimate points raised about this game. If everyone is just going to plug their ears and yell every time a point is raised that could greatly benefit this game we aren't going to go anywhere.

I agree he was rude and for a legitimate question that is uncalled for imo.

Unfortunately he was right - the developers have stated that this was a design decision so they could control the atmosphere of each zone. This was not a decision they made lightly and the interviews I have seen and read on the subject indicate in no uncertain terms that this is permanent.

I did not like the decision at first but I don't even notice it now.

I don't think it's doable, actually. If you look closely at the textures, they mostly have lighting effects applied to the texture itself that reinforces the ambient light of the scene. if the sun were moving around, at certain times of day you'd have a shadow on both sides of an object-- one from the light source, the other baked into the texture itself.

It gives everything a really interesting, painterly sort of look, but it excludes a day/night cycle, I would think. If I'm incorrect and some environment artist is around, let me know.

Nope, the textures have normal maps and they're being updated in real time (even though the light source <the sun> isn't moving).

Edited by Skeelol

I agree he was rude and for a legitimate question that is uncalled for imo.

Unfortunately he was right - the developers have stated that this was a design decision so they could control the atmosphere of each zone. This was not a decision they made lightly and the interviews I have seen and read on the subject indicate in no uncertain terms that this is permanent.

I did not like the decision at first but I don't even notice it now.

A design decision that apparently isn't restricted by technological limitations.

In short, there is apparently no reason why they couldn't do it. They just chose not to simply because THEY think it looks better.

Even though other MMO's manage to quite happily include Day/night cycles without them being detrimental to the "quality" of the environment.

Perhaps, the REAL reason is that prior to launch they didn't have the time to go through the game world and include additional lightsources where needed for when it is night time in those areas. They had too much to do that was of greater importance that needed attention at the time.

And now that launch is out of the way, well, the situation is different.

Edited by Tarka

It might be a little difficult to add a day/night cycle for each planet because each planet has a different rotation around...something something planet science thing.

But then again, theres not that many planets. But still a lot to do for a transition.

It might be a little difficult to add a day/night cycle for each planet because each planet has a different rotation around...something something planet science thing.

But then again, theres not that many planets. But still a lot to do for a transition.

If we understand the nature of the environmental settings correctly, the HeroEngine can cater for different environmental settings (which include cycle times) for different zones (i.e. planets).

Edited by Tarka

I do believe you are incorrect.

Some MMO's are more advanced in these regards than you give them credit.

For instance, lets look at AOC:

(That's a 3 year old video btw).

I'm sorry, what was it you were saying about all current MMO's not having dynamic lighting effects? ;)

Anyhow, you seem to be missing the point: the previous video I showed you earlier is of the HeroEngine. The very SAME engine used for SWTOR. The fact is that the HeroEngine allows for individual environmental setups on a per zone basis. Such settings include Dynamic Sky effects (which includes Day/night cycles).

oh boy, I guess I should of mentioned MMO's that do NOT use heavy instancing.

Also, they stopped taking updates for the HeroEngine a number of years ago, so that feature is probably not even in the HeroEngine they are using.