M14X/Lt Pierce recruitment needs another option

Washi_rfd

I checked around and couldn't find any post that deals with this issue.

Apart from http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=847693 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=845606

Requiring PVP means many, if not Most players will not get them, if there was another option, preferably harder than the PVP so that PVPers aren't hard done by (Like they often are, Im not a PVPer but I have friends that are)

Maybe 4 options total

1. Current PVP option

2. If you have legacy affection maxed with them then Half the Requirement for the PVP option

3. Kill so many Opposite faction commanders on certain worlds, put a few on each world, or select ones that are already there... Or do X or Y flashpoints to prove yourself

4. If you have legacy affection maxed with them then Half the Requirement for option 3

Also I should note, Part of the reason behind this idea is comments PVP friends have made eg:

Ever since all these Non PVPers started jumping in PVP to get the companions PVP has gone down hill, and its now no fun.

I should state that isn't word for word, I used far more polite language.

To be honest the Qyzen mission could use the Legacy reduction aswell, that way all players are given a bonus for having Legacy "Family" ties to the companions.

If it is made too easy it wont be fun, but if its too hard (time consuming) it wont be fun either.

Edited by Washi_rfd
found a post refering to the issue

I agree with the OP. In an expansion pack of brilliant game design improvements, sticking pvp into what is otherwise the main pve experience is just a bad decision. PvP is a completely different paradigm to PvE. You're basically punishing PvE completionists who dislike your PvP.

To add to that, the pace of the PvP game combined with the lack of overseas servers means that overseas players on high latency get a terrible experience from it. You're half-dead before you even know you're being focused. It's punishment for anyone unlucky enough to have you on their team.

Forcing players to take part in a PvP experience they did not pay you for in order to complete a PvE experience they are paying you for is just bad.

You do realize that if you have influence with them, they go with you without requiring pvp, right?

Only if you are on the Correct classes eg: Trooper for M14X

So Yes, you can get them without PVP but only on 2-3 characters, If you are a Jedi, or smuggler, Bounty hunter etc you miss out.

I like your suggestions. We've never been required to PvP before to accomplish something, so why suddenly bring that in? I understand that it makes sense for these two particular companions, but it's not fair to those players who don't PvP. I think giving us the OPTION of choosing warzones or flashpoints would make more sense. That way, the players who like PvP can do that if they like and the players who don't like PvP can still get the companion.

As others have pointed out, they're trying to make this a single player, personal journey, and then throw us a quest that requires us to group up (apart from the Star Fortresses and even those can be soloed if you're geared well and have high influence with your companion).

I like your suggestions. We've never been required to PvP before to accomplish something, so why suddenly bring that in? I understand that it makes sense for these two particular companions, but it's not fair to those players who don't PvP. I think giving us the OPTION of choosing warzones or flashpoints would make more sense. That way, the players who like PvP can do that if they like and the players who don't like PvP can still get the companion.

As others have pointed out, they're trying to make this a single player, personal journey, and then throw us a quest that requires us to group up (apart from the Star Fortresses and even those can be soloed if you're geared well and have high influence with your companion).

Because you're not 'required' to recruit the companion either. I get that PVP is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's also not vital to your progression that Forex is in your Alliance. Whether you think it's fair is your own opinion, which is fine, but it is what it is. If you really want the companion, then you'll put forth the effort to earn it. Players don't like the Rakghoul event, but it sound like you'll need to participate if you want to acquire Dr. Lokin. People don't like group content, but you'll have to group up with others for the Star Fortress heroics (unless you've got a max ranked companion, I hear it's a lot easier to do vs a 1-15 rank companion). Companion unlocks will probably be gated behind some type of event in game (not meaning events like Bounties, exclusively), and guaranteed someone won't like it.

But again, if you truly want the companion in your Alliance, then go out and earn it like others are willing to do.

There's nothing wrong with having options either.

For Qyzen, we can hunt down 20 Jagganath targets solo or we can group up and hunt down 3 world bosses. Options.

Suppose they added some sort of trophy item like that for Pierce / M1. (Something like "Republic / Imperial ID Badge"?) Make them each ask you to show them proof of your accomplishments against the other faction to build influence with them. This can mean qualifying for the valor rank bypass option or handing over trophies to build influence. Add this trophy item to a couple different vendors on fleet. One sells it for warzone comms and another sells it for fleet comms. So viable options to earn those trophies include warzones, starfighter, and even solo space missions as well (although that's a pretty slow way to get fleet comms compared to starfighter). Make it possible for this trophy to drop from conquest commanders as well so that there's an ops group option for it.

Man, 20 warzones or valor 40... That's the thing right there. Pierce / M1 do offer options as well but the options aren't a matter of "solo effort vs group effort" like the Qyzen options. These options cover the same exact activity and it's only a question of whether or not that character has done much of that activity in the past.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

There's nothing wrong with having options either.

For Qyzen, we can hunt down 20 Jagganath targets solo or we can group up and hunt down 3 world bosses. Options.

Suppose they added some sort of trophy item like that for Pierce / M1. (Something like "Republic / Imperial ID Badge"?) Make them each ask you to show them proof of your accomplishments against the other faction to build influence with them. This can mean qualifying for the valor rank bypass option or handing over trophies to build influence. Add this trophy item to a couple different vendors on fleet. One sells it for warzone comms and another sells it for fleet comms. So viable options to earn those trophies include warzones, starfighter, and even solo space missions as well (although that's a pretty slow way to get fleet comms compared to starfighter). Make it possible for this trophy to drop from conquest commanders as well so that there's an ops group option for it.

Man, 20 warzones or valor 40... That's the thing right there. Pierce / M1 do offer options as well but the options aren't a matter of "solo effort vs group effort" like the Qyzen options. These options cover the same exact activity and it's only a question of whether or not that character has done much of that activity in the past.

Agreed.

I like options and options doesn't mean do the only activity that lets you get the companion your alliance 'leaders' sent you to recruit or not. It means here's a couple (if not several) ways to convince so and so to join you.

I would like to see some changes to the recruitment quest along this lines:

• Reduce the Valor required to rank 10 or 20 (40 is far too high if you haven't done PVP before or not enough, yet you have proven yourself by doing 1-3 Weeklys already)
  • Reduce the matches required to 4 (it shouldn't be more than a PVP Daily, to be more in line with the effort unlocking every other companion takes)
  • Add a PVE option (Kill 250 Reps or Imps on Planet X, since pushing the other faction back is the goal)
  • Or even add Social rank I as an alternative requirement to valor (everybody who has done KDY at least once would be qualified now)