Make KOTOR style dialogue optional.

REVAN_cz

Hello.

Well,i notice there few similiar sugestions,but i do like take it differently... So please make this conversation style dialogues optional,who will like it, s/he wil keep it,and not,it will just switch it off ...

Thanks.

Our assumption is there is no voice acting for our characters when these events occur.

I agree, I hate the KoToR formatting. I can live with the original layout. Just need to acknowledge there is no voiceovers. Which may be why they changed the appearance, so we are aware of it.

Hello.

Well,i notice there few similiar sugestions,but i do like take it differently... So please make this conversation style dialogues optional,who will like it, s/he wil keep it,and not,it will just switch it off ...

Thanks.

makes no sense. so they need to record 8 classes * 2 genders * 50 alliance/companions * 10 options worth of dialogue that 90% will just end up space baring through anyway (do people still do daily cutscense or that flashpoint they did the 100th time)? AND then make it optional. If they were going to spend the money they would have and just left everything fully voiced.

How exactly do they make this "optional"? its not like the audio files actually exist where they can magically go back and just flip a switch. do you even understand how the dialogue is done and added to the game, and what you are actually asking?

makes no sense. so they need to record 8 classes * 2 genders * 50 alliance/companions * 10 options worth of dialogue that 90% will just end up space baring through anyway (do people still do daily cutscense or that flashpoint they did the 100th time)? AND then make it optional. If they were going to spend the money they would have and just left everything fully voiced.

How exactly do they make this "optional"? its not like the audio files actually exist where they can magically go back and just flip a switch. do you even understand how the dialogue is done and added to the game, and what you are actually asking?

How is reuniting with companions and having pivotal set-up to the next leg of the story, material that everyone will just spacebar through? I know I, and it appears that many others as well, want the material voiced. Plus, your argument also fails to consider that they probably spent the same amount of money on VO for the extra parts of NPC VO that add nothing to the story, as it would have cost to reduce the options to the standard 3 and add character voices.

They already had everyone from the 50 alliance/companions in the studio recording this crap anyways and in fact probably spent more on their dialogue than they needed to in order to fill those extra conversation options. Plus, the 16 VA's for the classes were all around for the main storyline. So explain why I got additional, useless chatter from a bunch of NPCs that adds nothing to the story, and didn't get my character voiced...

Seriously, this argument is hands-down one of the more ridiculous ones I've heard in defence of BW's poor decision making.

Edited by StarSquirrel

People forget that's done in three languages English, French, and German.

How is reuniting with companions and having pivotal set-up to the next leg of the story, material that everyone will just spacebar through? I know I, and it appears that many others as well, want the material voiced. Plus, your argument also fails to consider that they probably spent the same amount of money on VO for the extra parts of NPC VO that add nothing to the story, as it would have cost to reduce the options to the standard 3 and add character voices.

They already had everyone from the 50 alliance/companions in the studio recording this crap anyways and in fact probably spent more on their dialogue than they needed to in order to fill those extra conversation options. Plus, the 16 VA's for the classes were all around for the main storyline. So explain why I got additional, useless chatter from a bunch of NPCs that adds nothing to the story, and didn't get my character voiced...

Seriously, this argument is hands-down one of the more ridiculous ones I've heard in defence of BW's poor decision making.

most of the stuff doing KOTOR style dialogue is just the daily and repeatable content for alliances that you will do over, and over, and over, and over eventually it will be spacebar material. The other part of it is the shear VOLUME of material necessary.

so again 8 classes * 2 genders * # companions* all the options dialogue options you have * 3 languages...is a BOAT load of voice acting that just isn't necessary.

Especially when many of the interactions ARE repeatable (oggurobb, smuggler, the voss, c2n2 to name a few) and will become space bar material after the 4th or 5th char you create on your 100th or so alliance run after a month.

And the notion that it can be made "optional" is laughable. if htey were going to spend the money to do it..why spend twice as much to do it two different ways (thus abandoning the point of not doing the va to begin with..i.e save money).

People started spacing the planetary missions after 2nd or third char, they started skipping them after their 5th (and xp bonus) dailies are pretty much space bar material after the first week especially on multiple chars.

which is why they took them out in Rishi/Yavin (why have a cut scene if nobody goign to watch it)...and peopel complained, so they added cut scenes back in and removed the VA (cost cutting and time saving). and low and behold..people complain.

so, if htey make them fully voiced and fully scripted, people space bar. If they make them Va but not scripted, people complain. If they make them scripted but not VA people complain.

Pre-tell can people make up their minds? and make it "optional" is NOT an option as thats doing the same thing twice for twice the cost. which DOES lead to games going poof.

They can't make it optional, when that occurs there are more options than the SWTOR system can support.

It would need just a little interface adjustment which would probably take less time then making a kotor interface...And besides, those extra options usualy don't add anything useful anyway...

People forget that's done in three languages English, French, and German.

So just because german and french people can't learn english, everyone else can't get their character voiced?? That is a bad excuse...

It would need just a little interface adjustment which would probably take less time then making a kotor interface...And besides, those extra options usualy don't add anything useful anyway...

well no, they would need to go back record roughly 10k lines of dialogue (8 classes 2 genders *50 odd companions roughly *10 options) add it into the game, resynch all the audio play times to allow for the char to talk before the response. THEN make an option so people can turn it off/on

So just because german and french people can't learn english, everyone else can't get their character voiced?? That is a bad excuse..

well how would YOU fell if they ONLY voiced the German/French versions and not for others? How about we only do the MALE voice chars and not the Female ones...Maybe just the Republic chars and not the Imperial ones. IF only going to choose HALF or 1/3 of something why limit to just the langage

no, they can't.

well no, they would need to go back record roughly 10k lines of dialogue (8 classes 2 genders *50 odd companions roughly *10 options) add it into the game, resynch all the audio play times to allow for the char to talk before the response. THEN make an option so people can turn it off/on

First of all, they should've record it to begin with or not voiced it at all if the most important voice is missing. Second, I'm pretty sure the response already starts after something happens, like:

if you choose the option 3 play response to option 3

All they would need to do is change it to:

If you choose the option 3: play my character VO #3 + if VO #3 ended, play response to option 3

There wouldn't be any need to do it manually, And I'm positive they are using something like this through the whole game already. It is simple programming.

And also, I was answering to somebody who claimed that it can't be made optional becuase there are more options than the SWTOR system can support." Which wouldn't be a big deal to change it...

well how would YOU fell if they ONLY voiced the German/French versions and not for others?

Pretty much the same way I feel about it not being in my native language at all, why should french and german have something extra if huge majority of players is using english even though it is not their native language? Anyway, it was possible for them to make the whole game in three voiced languages, why would it be a problem to make this in three languages as well? It was possible for them to record NPCs in three languages, why not the most important characters in the game?

First of all, they should've record it to begin with or not voiced it at all if the most important voice is missing. Second, I'm pretty sure the response already starts after something happens, like:

if you choose the option 3 play response to option 3

All they would need to do is change it to:

If you choose the option 3: play my character VO #3 + if VO #3 ended, play response to option 3

There wouldn't be any need to do it manually, And I'm positive they are using something like this through the whole game already. It is simple programming.

And also, I was answering to somebody who claimed that it can't be made optional becuase there are more options than the SWTOR system can support." Which wouldn't be a big deal to change it...

Pretty much the same way I feel about it not being in my native language at all, why should french and german have something extra if huge majority of players is using english even though it is not their native language? Anyway, it was possible for them to make the whole game in three voiced languages, why would it be a problem to make this in three languages as well? It was possible for them to record NPCs in three languages, why not the most important characters in the game?

before you had 8 unique stories thus there was a need for unique dialogue and unique voice acting. Well guess what, we no longer have unique stories and unique dialogue. So having record voices just becomes wasted effort.

Now, if you want to make the argument they should have been done already, fine, that has already been said, and it didn't happen, mainly because their metrics and budget said it wasn't worth the effort. As for making it now an option without having already done the voice acting essentially means redoing much of the entire alliance on top of going back and recording the same few things a few 1000 different ways.

Which is the part that you are missing, sure its simple to make a toggle...But at this point its a toggle from what we have to, well nothing. And nothing is ever going to changed to anything thus will remain as nothing (i.e not voice acted). For the cost and for the effort I would rather go into something else and keep the repeatable mundane dialogue as is.

and please tell me more of "simple programming"...keep it up and i might just learn to program just by reading these forums. Because my two engineering degrees apparently don't qualify me enough.

before you had 8 unique stories thus there was a need for unique dialogue and unique voice acting. Well guess what, we no longer have unique stories and unique dialogue. So having record voices just becomes wasted effort.

Now, if you want to make the argument they should have been done already, fine, that has already been said, and it didn't happen, mainly because their metrics and budget said it wasn't worth the effort. As for making it now an option without having already done the voice acting essentially means redoing much of the entire alliance on top of going back and recording the same few things a few 1000 different ways.

Which is the part that you are missing, sure its simple to make a toggle...But at this point its a toggle from what we have to, well nothing. And nothing is ever going to changed to anything thus will remain as nothing (i.e not voice acted). For the cost and for the effort I would rather go into something else and keep the repeatable mundane dialogue as is.

and please tell me more of "simple programming"...keep it up and i might just learn to program just by reading these forums. Because my two engineering degrees apparently don't qualify me enough.

How many times do I need to explain to you that I was answering to how unsupported are more than 3 options on the conversation wheel? And serously I don't really care why it is not possible to make it optional...It is not excuse for breaking immersion this way and they are the ones who are suppose to fix it if most people don't like it.

Well you are the one whos argument is that it is not possible to make it optional because audio play time resyncing and stuff. With your two engineering degrees you should know better...

The stuff is there because some people actually like watching and listening to it.

That said, choice is good. Usually. Having way too many settings to wade through gets messy really fast, and would require an overhaul to keep it from being a totally opaque wall of text and checkboxes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.