Of all the BAD decisions in 4.0, the new alliance "conversations" has to be the worst

TheSeventhJedi

It's like playing a different game. One of the things that set this game out was that you were supposed to care about everything, because it was all fully voiced. These are a reminder that they should be, without even having the common decency to just go choice-less. The Rishi sidequests, okay, no dialogue because they just told us what to do. Lame, obvious cost-cutting measure, but it made sense. These, these are garbage. I still have the original KotOR, I'll happily go play it if that's the style of game I'm after.

Seriously, patch them out. Fire whoever made the decision. Fire everyone who went along with it and didn't point out how incredibly stupid it was. Then fire them again for good measure. Some of the bad decisions I was prepared for. But this - well, imagine you order an ice cream sundae. There's only one available at an establishment, and while they won't let you remove some of the toppings you don't like, it's an overall pretty good treat, and so you order it anyway. Then, when they bring it out to you, there's a secret topping - a giant cockroach. You might be able to eat around it, but even if you do, it'll always be there, disgusting and a genuinely stupid idea.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't like them, they're a far better way to do quests/etc, than the way they did all those side quests in SoR: just a plain mission text ala 2004.

I think it's a good compromise between that and cinematic cut-scenes of the base game, in whatever financial reality exists that caused them to move away from cinematic cut-scenes for everything.

It doesn't bother me at all and I think it's a neat little thing as a tribute to one of their most famous and successful games in which this game is a sequel too.

As long as it stays with the Alliance System and not the Main Story (Which has been shown since you do both for Star Fortresses) then it's not really that big a deal.

While I don't like them, they're a far better way to do quests/etc, than the way they did all those side quests in SoR: just a plain mission text ala 2004.

I think it's a good compromise between that and cinematic cut-scenes of the base game, in whatever financial reality exists that caused them to move away from cinematic cut-scenes for everything.

It might as well be pure text, or even non-existent. If there's no cutscene, I can read faster than they can talk, and I just read it. Or, at least, I did, until I figured there wasn't much of a point and just became one of those lame spacebar crazies. "Return to story!" "Except we're literally taking you out of parts of the story!"

Absolute garbage. If I unsub, it'll because they keep heading in this direction.

I disagree completely OP.

I view this as a compromise. This content (alliance building) likely wouldn't even exist if it had to be fully voice acted. It allows BioWare to crank out new side content without having to bring in all 16 main voice actors.

KOTFE cutscenes + Alliance classic conversations = perfect marriage of quality and then quantity.

Terrible decision to make it like this...My character is now muted nothing, immersion is broken, half of the screen hidden behing black wall. It worked for kotors 15 years ago or so, but now...especially if there is already something much better...Cinematic storytelling, yeah sure...:mad:

While I don't like them, they're a far better way to do quests/etc, than the way they did all those side quests in SoR: just a plain mission text ala 2004. .

So it is better to do it ala 1995? hmm interesting. Plain mission text breaks immersion much less than this...

Absolute garbage. If I unsub, it'll because they keep heading in this direction.

My words exactly

Edited by coremar

These are an awesome homage to KOTOR roots, and the character they are talking to is fully voiced. That we don't have voice isn't a big deal really, its just a bit of fun.

Everyone involved in the decision to do this should get a raise an promotion.

This.

It just works better for the Alliances work as well. I don't see the outrage, even if they're not familiar with KOTOR.

So much for voice acting is the future of mmo's eh? Wasnt that this games selling point (voice acting) makes you wonder here about the future of this game.

Alliance itself has me concerned more then the text cutscenes 2 xpacs now were reps/imps are buddies and were fighting a mediocre 3rd party thats overly dramaticized as this HUGE threat i mean hell if 1 ship can take out an entire fleet LOL i dont think the eternal empire is much of a threat not that revan really was either here. I find it funny the biggest threat the emperor himself is treated like a Q from star trek the next generation lol

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

I'm not mad, just...confused.

Wouldn't it make more sense for our char's dialogue to be voiced and not the NPCs? o-O

Likely cost cutting measure. Voice Acting isn't cheap, and our characters use the higher profile & more expensive VA's - ie ppl line Nolan North & Jennifer Hale - vs ppl doing the NPC's are likely lesser known VA's, and thus cost less per/word. It sucks that this happened, as one of the better features IMO of TOR is the voice acting.

However, considering the huge stink going on right now, and for the past few months, from voice actor's complaining they don't get paid enough, demanding more money, demanding royalties from games, agreeing to go on strikes and thus refusing to do any VA work... I can see why BioWare/EA went this way.

Likely when originally scripted and written up it was going to all be voice acted, with cost's based on prior cost's and an up-to-date cost estimate (taken at time the scripting/writing started)... then when they went to hire the VA for the job, they found the pay demands a lot higher than expected. EA prolly said "nope" to paying anymore... and so the higher costing VA were scrapped from this part of the expansion and we end up with text options.

I'm just guessing, but the VA uninion & actor's themselves have been going on about being chronically underpaid for awhile now. I don't know if it's true or not (and not going to criticize the VA or Unions, or publishers... because I don't know enough about the matter to to say anything more than this)... but makes me sad that this issue is likely one of the causes for the expansion missing out on one of the best features of the game (voice acting). I really hope that the VA's, publishers, dev's, etc can come to a mutual agreement & understanding about this asap and we can not have this crop up again.

So much for voice acting is the future of mmo's eh? Wasnt that this games selling point (voice acting) makes you wonder here about the future of this game.

Inorite? It's not like you just spent up to 10 hours playing out the fully voice acted 9 chapters or anything, right? Right?... oh wait...

Know what I hated? The Black Hole, where I had to space bar through that god awfully long VO to get one measly mission, then space bar through more VO to hand it in. These missions are to be repeated, over and over and over and over and you get where I'm going with this. By the tenth hand in on your third character, you'd be sighing as you space bar your way through the conversation again and again and again and see how it goes?

Edited by Darth-Rion

didnt take me 10 hours slow poke.

That's why I said up to. The nine chapters are essentially 80% cutscene conversations, 15% go find these things and 5% go kill those things over there. We possibly got more voice acting (not to mention ****** fight scenes) out of these nine chapters than (dare I say it...) the entirety of one full class storyline. The class stories feel longer because of all the gosh darned travelling between story points.

Edit: Really, Bioware? Gosh Darned? Am I Ned Flanders?

Edited by Darth-Rion

It might as well be pure text, or even non-existent. If there's no cutscene, I can read faster than they can talk, and I just read it. Or, at least, I did, until I figured there wasn't much of a point and just became one of those lame spacebar crazies. "Return to story!" "Except we're literally taking you out of parts of the story!"

I seriously hope you do. The only thing that is garbage is your idiotic attitude toward a really fun and immersive story. Do me a favor and get lost already. You won't be missed.

I can see why BioWare/EA went this way.

I can't see why, they only make things worse by doing this... We want those voices in this game because it is the main thing why most people is playing this game and why SWTOR is unique, if they continue going this way I will definitely usubscribe so will lots of others only those most enthusiastic kotor fans will stay, so EA is against themselves(once again).

I recently actually tried to play kotor after a long time and I couldn't really get into it anymore because of this kind of converstation, I felt there is really lots of things mising without my character's voice and with the overall conversation style, same thing now when I trying to play swtor's chapter 9.

Edited by coremar

i have been loving 4.0. The storyline was so enveloping and was non stop action, BUT....the alliance conversations were disappointing and felt super odd. I understand the homage, I loved KOTOR but to run through what was basically a non stop action movie for 9 chapters, only tonfind myself not talking suddenly was weird

Its not "game breaking" but it takes a lot away from the interactions and when its a companion you really want to talk to, it really just takes the personal relationship away and makes those missions feel out of place.

I can't see why, they only make things worse by doing this... We want those voices in this game because it is the main thing why most people is playing this game and why SWTOR is unique, if they continue going this way I will definitely usubscribe so will lots of others only those most enthusiastic kotor fans will stay, so EA is against themselves(once again).

What, you think businesses are made of unlimited amounts on money and they can just spend whatever they want on anything? Do you even realize companies have to do projects within a certain budget, and that anything which would cause them to go over that budget will get cut from said project?

EA would have set BW a budget for the expansion, and if the voice actor's started asking for higher payments when BW went to hire them, and the cost of hiring them would make the expansion go over-budget... guess what the options are?

- EA finds extra funds somewhere and extends the budget

- EA says 'no' and things have the get cut from the expansion to meet the budget.

Considering businesses are not made of unlimited money, and can't just pony up more money at the drop of the hat (considering how many different projects EA is paying for at any given time, this should be understandable.. and considering EA prolly does not have the cash to push on this, or assets to leverage for increased borrowings to pay for it)... cost's had to be cut. Unfortunately for us all it meant the loss of the higher-paid voice actors... thus text only protag convo's throughout the expansion.

Do I like it? No. It sux. I wish it could be all voice acted. However I do understand the likely causes for text-only protag convo's. Hopefully in future we see less and less text-only stuff, because a big drawing of SWTOR is the voice acting.

That trailer cost a pretty penny, several million I think we've been informed.

That would pay for a lot of voice acting, I think.

Sadly, there really are people who are hook-line-and-sinker buying, I mean completely eating up, this nonsense about a "homage to KOTOR". :rolleyes:

That trailer cost a pretty penny, several million I think we've been informed.

That would pay for a lot of voice acting, I think.

Sadly, there really are people who are hook-line-and-sinker buying, I mean completely eating up, this nonsense about a "homage to KOTOR". :rolleyes:

Several million that Bioware likely had no say over.