This is when you know a company is misleading*

LexonLightsaber

Ya here is my huge problem with this, I got a email stating "come back and sub for early access" I received this email from Bioware after Aug 10th, maybe I got some before that but hey I hadn't been playing the game for a couple of years and didn't open all the spam email from them, I was going off of the one I opened, so I also noticed the other rewards, as I was subbing and buying the Reven xpac, but thought, ya I don't give a crap about those other rewards only here for xpac, so that was as far as I read, I mean think about it, why would I need to read further? why would I even think some shady crap was happening "come back and sub for early access" seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I mean what do you gain by keeping subs out of the game for a week? nothing!! what do you loose? less player base playing the game, risk of people loosing interest or gaining interest in another game while waiting, pissing people off with your gaming company, loosing possible revenue to other games as people have to wait to play yours, meaning they are not spending money with you.......

all that to loose and nothing to gain, ya real smart

Ok I did sub for everything and received everything promised. I also received and red the Come back and get early access email they sent. I have no issue with either giving anyone that subbed during any of the reward time early access. Hell it's early access so what real advantage is it. There is so much all over the forums today with people crying foul there is obviously a misunderstanding. Regardless who is at fault, why doesn't Bio-ware just either let them in or give them a 3 day head start at least. It would go a long way to strengthening customer relations and trust.:p

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I did sub for everything and received everything promised. I also received and red the Come back and get early access email they sent. I have no issue with either giving anyone that subbed during any of the reward time early access. Hell it's early access so what real advantage is it. There is so much all over the forums today with people crying foul there is obviously a misunderstanding. Regardless who is at fault, why doesn't Bio-ware just either let them in or give them a 3 day head start at least. It would go a long way to strengthening customer relations and trust.:p

yep but, instead they took our money and made us wait 7 days.

Don't cut your nose to spite your face.

Judging by the forums and general chat there was a LOT of confusion about the early access. Not only that, but there are also a bunch of people who *did* qualify but didn't get it. Server times are in the can right now as well as customer care wait times. I've heard it's around an hour. So this isn't an uncommon problem. Then there are those emails many people received stating "Come back and sub for early access!" AFTER the cut off date. The entire thing is a huge mess for everyone, both those who qualified but didn't get it, those who thought they qualified, and then all the swtor employees who are dealing with the aftermath.

Anyways,I hope it gets sorted soon and doesn't have a lasting negative impression for those subbing :/

The apologists in this thread are amazing.

Nevermind the customers who visited the site for the first time on October 19th, saw in big huge flashy images that if they subscribe TODAY they'll get Early Access to the expansion as well as the expansion for free, and hurried to sub because time is running out and it was the first opportunity they'd gotten.

EA/Bioware's tactics on this one were exceptionally predatory. They essentially used preorder marketing tropes to create the illusion that ALL players who subbed by October 19th would get EA, and that those who subbed early would get EXTRA perks (sub on this date and get this, sub on this future date and get this, Early Access, Early Access, Early Access).

They intentionally used vague language (ie "from x to y" instead of "on x till y") to excuse themselves from the predatory marketing. They continued to promote Early Access well after the actual deadline was passed.

Regardless of whether you got into EA or not, regardless of how you feel about subbing to the game - the marketing tactics EA\Bioware used were deceptive and aimed at getting people to sub with the promise of Early Access well after that offer became unavailable. If the marquee terms in your marketing campaign are Early Access despite that perk NOT BEING AVAILABLE - that is deceptive and predatory.

Nevermind the customers who visited the site for the first time on October 19th, saw in big huge flashy images that if they subscribe TODAY they'll get Early Access to the expansion as well as the expansion for free, and hurried to sub because time is running out and it was the first opportunity they'd gotten.

EA/Bioware's tactics on this one were exceptionally predatory. They essentially used preorder marketing tropes to create the illusion that ALL players who subbed by October 19th would get EA, and that those who subbed early would get EXTRA perks (sub on this date and get this, sub on this future date and get this, Early Access, Early Access, Early Access).

They intentionally used vague language (ie "from x to y" instead of "on x till y") to excuse themselves from the predatory marketing. They continued to promote Early Access well after the actual deadline was passed.

Regardless of whether you got into EA or not, regardless of how you feel about subbing to the game - the marketing tactics EA\Bioware used were deceptive and aimed at getting people to sub with the promise of Early Access well after that offer became unavailable. If the marquee terms in your marketing campaign are Early Access despite that perk NOT BEING AVAILABLE - that is deceptive and predatory.

If I remember right didn't something like this happen back when the game first Launched too about EA?

First I have a founder title and can prove it, so I have been here since launch! Second rewarding subscribers? LOL. FTP anyone! I was subbed for 12 months upon release and what did we get, empty promises and a FTP model. Yet i still play bought all expansions including Rise of the hutt cartel even though it went FTP 2 months later and Shadow of Revan even though its going FTP on the 27th. The people that feel mislead are actually mislead, gratz to all those that read every Terms of Service contract and FAQ, because the normal gamer (Bioware knows this) does not!

Then "the normal gamer" doesn't get to complain when all they had to do was scroll down to make sure they qualified but they were too lazy/entitled to.

Also, no "terms of service contract" required... they had a very nice and tidy FAQ in big white letters to click on which explained it in simple terms.

...lol, seriously? Predatory?

I can understand being frustrated that you didn't read the terms behind the early access offer (which were literally right there on the KOTFE page as well as in multiple promotional emails) but... you have to be subscribed to play KOTFE in the first place. Someone who subscribes and has to wait a week isn't really out anything. They'd have to subscribe to play, and they will get to play on the 27th.

I'm not being an apologist, I just am not entitled and disorganized. The very first thing I did upon seeing the words "subscribe by X to get early access" was to quickly double check I was eligible. And that took about 30 seconds.

There's also no confusion if you have reading comprehension. "Subscribe from x to y" means the entire period, not a random date.

If you saw the words "to qualify for the football tournament you have to play football from July to October" would you think that meant you could play one game in a random month between the specified dates?

Edited by Beltane

amen!

I absolutely have been mislead. 10/10 would not have subbed if it was clearly stated.

So... you wouldn't have subscribed, which means you wouldn't get to play KOTFE... what is the issue then, if you don't want to actually play the xpac?

Then "the normal gamer" doesn't get to complain when all they had to do was scroll down to make sure they qualified but they were too lazy/entitled to.

Also, no "terms of service contract" required... they had a very nice and tidy FAQ in big white letters to click on which explained it in simple terms.

...lol, seriously? Predatory?

I can understand being frustrated that you didn't read the terms behind the early access offer (which were literally right there on the KOTFE page as well as in multiple promotional emails) but... you have to be subscribed to play KOTFE in the first place. Someone who subscribes and has to wait a week isn't really out anything. They'd have to subscribe to play, and they will get to play on the 27th.

I'm not being an apologist, I just am not entitled and disorganized. The very first thing I did upon seeing the words "subscribe by X to get early access" was to quickly double check I was eligible. And that took about 30 seconds.

There's also no confusion if you have reading comprehension. "Subscribe from x to y" means the entire period, not a random date.

If you saw the words "to qualify for the football tournament you have to play football from July to October" would you think that meant you could play one game in a random month between the specified dates?

you keep posting the same garbage, just stop you've been proven wrong about 30 times in this thread. The emails people got AFTER august 10th still had the BIG BOLD WORDS EARLY ACCESS on them. Go RP walk off a cliff

Yep. Blizzard is crappy at times, but even they don't pull an underhanded deceit like this. Not good. This game just became a ghost town.
Really? Interesting, since I see a lot of people playing the game, so if it's a ghost town, why are there so many people playing?

you keep posting the same garbage, just stop you've been proven wrong about 30 times in this thread. The emails people got AFTER august 10th still had the BIG BOLD WORDS EARLY ACCESS on them. Go RP walk off a cliff

Well consider they are sticking to the whole "You Didn't read the fine print LOL" so far He is right that we are boned.

My guild full of RP walkers was smart enough to figure out how to qualify for early access. What's your excuse? ;)

Also... the emails after August 10th still said early access because you still had to qualify for the other dates... try harder.

Well consider they are sticking to the whole "You Didn't read the fine print LOL" so far He is right that we are boned.

Yep. I am actually sympathetic to the people who got confused. It CAN be confusing. But my sympathy falls short when people resort to theatrics, claim to be quitting the game, and pretend this is some super evil predator move by Bioware.

It's also not really fine print if it's in huge letters on the same page, is it? lol

My guild full of RP walkers was smart enough to figure out how to qualify for early access. What's your excuse? ;)

Also... the emails after August 10th still said early access because you still had to qualify for the other dates... try harder.

so wrong, i cannot believe there is a whole guild of mouth breathing RP walkers.

Edited by X_Vindictuz_X

Yep. I am actually sympathetic to the people who got confused. It CAN be confusing. But my sympathy falls short when people resort to theatrics, claim to be quitting the game, and pretend this is some super evil predator move by Bioware.

It's also not really fine print if it's in huge letters on the same page, is it? lol

The fact they didn't change the Email and Haven't answered any of these threads is a bit odd though you have to Admit............. Its almost................

Sneaky?

*Insert Dun Dun Duuuuuun, Music here*

:D

Please no personal attacks! I omitted the line from your quote, thanks!

Thanks, lol. I didn't know RP was such a scary mock-worthy topic in an MMORPG.

I mean, I'm sorry, I've been kind of antagonistic here but it's just because I've been seeing the same "I'm quitting the game because I can't play KOTFE for a week" all over the forum today. It does suck you missed it, truly. But it is also IMO the customer's responsibility to make sure they are positive they're going to get what they want to get.

Edited by Beltane

ya the shear amount of people that feel mislead about this clearly states that there is a problem, its not like just a couple people where fooled, this is happening to ALOT of subs.

Prob going to cost them a ton as well, Even if it is just for a bit they will be losing a big chunk of people I assume.

I'm not being an apologist, I just am not entitled and disorganized.

No, that's exactly what you're being. It's pretty clear to anyone who takes the time to research what that word means, especially in the context of this thread. I mean, it's right in the dictionary, it's not hidden, but still - you're confused somehow. Like you lack basic reading comprehension. How dare you not look up the word before you refute that it describes what you are, what are you disorganized?

Strange that when someone isn't spending all of their available time on one particular thing they can get confused by something that's seems to be so clearly defined. Maybe I should have used a simpler, more straight forward term for you.

At any rate, I only play this game when I subscribe because I can't stand the F2P model. I'm subbed now, I'll be subbed for a few months until the content runs out for me. I have the luxury of having that disposable income. A lot of other people don't however, and it's important to keep perspective and hold companies accountable for how they portray the perks that they offer in their "paid" systems. Bioware dropped the ball on this one. The fact that there is so much confusion proves that.

Edited by GripenWard

No, that's exactly what you're being. It's pretty clear to anyone who takes the time to research what that word means, especially in the context of this thread. I mean, it's right in the dictionary, it's not hidden, but still - you're confused somehow. Like you lack basic reading comprehension. How dare you not look up the word before you refute that it describes what you are, what are you disorganized?

Strange that when someone isn't spending all of their available time on one particular thing they can get confused by something that's seems to be so clearly defined. Maybe I should have used a simpler, more straight forward term for you.

At any rate, I only play this game when I subscribe because I can't stand the F2P model. I'm subbed now, I'll be subbed for a few months until the content runs out for me. I have the luxury of having that disposable income. A lot of other people don't however, and it's important to keep perspective and hold companies accountable for how they portray the perks that they offer in their "paid" systems. Bioware dropped the ball on this one. The fact that there is so much confusion proves that.

That's actually a poor analogy since looking up a word in the dictionary involes you going to a dictionary, putting in the word and searching for it manually, whereas the full terms and rules behind the early access promotion were all on the same page... but I digress.

"a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial."

I don't really think this is as widespread or controversial of an issue as you think it is, since every single person I know in game (and I know a lot) as well as on several other communities I use managed to get in for early access.

Anyway, sorry you missed out on the promotion. If you are highly invested in getting a limited time offer with specific rules for qualifying in the future I would advise taking a few minutes to double check you're eligible before calling the company predators.

Here's a thought to the OP, be a subscriber instead of a ftp'er and you wouldn't have these type of issues.

Yeah, no kidding.

Everyone I know who cares about the game subscribes. Everyone I know who returned in the past month or two and missed the early access isn't bent out of shape about it because they understand it had qualifications that they failed to meet.

That's actually a poor analogy since looking up a word in the dictionary involes you going to a dictionary, putting in the word and searching for it manually, whereas the full terms and rules behind the early access promotion were all on the same page... but I digress.

"a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial."

I don't really think this is as widespread or controversial of an issue as you think it is, since every single person I know in game (and I know a lot) as well as on several other communities I use managed to get in for early access.

Anyway, sorry you missed out on the promotion. If you are highly invested in getting a limited time offer with specific rules for qualifying in the future I would advise taking a few minutes to double check you're eligible before calling the company predators.

Yeah, no kidding.

Everyone I know who cares about the game subscribes. Everyone I know who returned in the past month or two and missed the early access isn't bent out of shape about it because they understand it had qualifications that they failed to meet.

Not all of us feel the need to sub when we aren't playing the game. I play the game when expansion come out, including early access, which by the way hasn't been a problem for any of the other expansions except this one.