The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So leveling no longer really matters in the new expansion...

Rudabaga

No matter what your character's level is your character is now automatically scaled to the level of the planet you are on. I understand the idea behind this but the end result is that you take away the main point of levels which is to make your character more powerful and give you an edge if you are having trouble with a certain part of the game. I get that you still unlock some new abilities as you level but what this does is make leveling just a way to mark progress through the game instead of the main part of the gameplay for an RPG game. You might as well remove levels all together and just have certain skill unlocks as you progress through the game because that is essentially what is being done already.

This decision seems to have been made by someone who never played an RPG based on feedback from players who never played RPG games before. This will likely make me cancel my subscription.

Here is the official description:

Planet Level Sync

We have added a new system to the game called Level Sync. What this system will do is that when you are on a planet, but above the target level of that planet, your level will automatically be lowered to that planet’s level. Ex: If you are level 60, and you return to Alderaan to do some Missions, your character will be scaled down to be level 32.

While you are under Level Sync the following things are adjusted on your character:

Stats

Armor

Weapon Damage

However, while under Level Sync we will not take away any abilities or passive effects that you have. Also, while under Level Sync you will earn scaled experience. So if you are a level 60, killing level 30 mobs, you will gain experience appropriate for being a level 60 . This enables a player to go play any of the content in The Old Republic and get rewarded appropriately for their time investment. Did you miss out on the heroic area on Tatooine? No worries! Now you can simply head there and check it out without dramatically stopping your progression.

Oh look, another one. Anyway, the only point leveling ever had was to give you a baseline of stats and skills. It was never there to make you feel powerful or show the progression of your character. That's why the mobs continue to get stronger. That's why Korriban's K'lor'slug population magically turned level 55 and random soldiers have varying levels across planets. Because level doesn't actually exist and there simply for gameplay purposes. Don't know where the idea that an RPG is supposed to make you feel powerful comes from whatsoever.

Yeah, wrong subforum.

But on the topic... have people forgotten what RPG means? Roleplaying game. Which means you are roleplaying a character. Levels and stats and all that are only typical to RPGs because that's how Dungeons & Dragons did it and still does it. These things are not essential to RPGs. The only thing essential to RPGs are the characters themselves. Everything else is just gravy. To be honest, my main problem with SWTOR has far more to do with the restrictiveness of its class system. It still has the same problems it did at launch, like bounty hunters not being able to use rifles, which is entirely the fault of it being an MMO. I recently played Neverwinter just to see what D&D's latest MMO is like... they restrict paladins to using maces. *** is that? Does anyone else remember when bounty hunters could use vibroblades, Jedi could use blasters, and there were no restrictions to Force powers? Take a look at KotOR, not an MMO, but it let you do all those things. Then look at SWG, an MMO and it let you use whatever weapons you wanted. Then look at say, Dungeons & Dragons Online. It's using more or less the same d20 system as KotOR,,,, hence you can use a variety of weapons depending on the class and feats you pick (paladins and fighters are basically unlimited in what weapons they can use, which is one of the major points of warrior classes).

So... what Bioware has done with levels hardly make the game less of an RPG. It's the restrictions they are keeping in place that are doing that. What they have done with levels is giving players more freedom to play how they want, which is more the point of an RPG.

This is all analogous to giving everyone a trophy for playing in a sport. Most people (those who are not lazy) are motivated by being the best at what they do. Trophies (Levels) earned show accomplishment. Also, I understand the backward scaling (in pvp) to prevent those without a life from harassing the casual player, but I think forward scaling is a mistake. Edited by Kinghenryeighth
Combined to thoughts in one paragraph (ambigiuty)

This is all analogous to giving everyone a trophy for playing in a sport. Most people (those who are not lazy) are motivated by being the best at what they do. Trophies (Levels) earned show accomplishment. Also, I understand the backward scaling (in pvp) to prevent those without a life from harassing the casual player, but I think forward scaling is a mistake.

If you don't want to be harassed, play on a pve or role playing server. Only one third of the tiny number of servers had the pvp risks you don't like.

For some, you have taken a big part of fun out of the game and for that i will be unsubbing in the near future. I don't like having my creations destroyed because some corporation thinks they are not paying their ceo enough money.

From what I can tell, your gear doesn't matter in the base class story, because your companions are overpowered. I think this was intential, as I believe the Devs want you to get through the base story quickly, and save up your crystals for end-game gear, where gear WILL matter.