Problems with the Republic Mole Agent Story

Aristeed

I love the Agent story, I'll get that out front. I also love the idea of your agent becoming a republic mole in theory. In practice the way things have played out don't make allot of sense sometimes. I realize having a deeply embedded republic agent almost controlling whats left of imperial security is hugely valuable, but the weight of the agent's successes for the empire since then seems to outweigh any benefit.

The issue: Makeb

The Empire is loosing the war with the Republic. The Agent (or whichever PC, but in this case the Agent) is entrusted to be the mission Commander to save the entire Imperial war effort by getting Isotope 5. Darth Marr burns multiple fleets to give you time to achieve this.

What better time for a republic double agent to break cover? He could have ensured the failure of the mission and the Empires defeat. He could even have kept cover and leaked the plan to the Republic, saved Makeb, and then had a Republic fleet waiting to swoop in and take the planet themselves.

In this case the very survival of the Empire's plan for war and victory is on the line, and I can't fathom why the mole agent would carry on with it just to keep his cover.

You are completely right and you are not the first person to notice this issue. Here is how I resolved said issue.

The Agent was ordered to remain undercover for the long term plan. To maintain cover the Agent (once informed by Darth Marr) needs to go in and accomplish said task while being watched the entire time from Darth Marr's handpicked personal.

After the operation is completed, the Agent would immediately inform Republic high command that the planet will not explode and what the Imperial Plan is. It is worth noting that AFTER Republic Makeb, if you pick up the weekly, you discover the Republic knows everything, that the planet was stabilized and the Empire is mining Isotope. The Republic characters are sent back in to get additional proof of this (providing the Agent cover) and leave a fleet in system to prevent the Empire from doing a mass mining effort. This means the Empire is forced to mine in secret.

This explains why the Empire's secret weapon simply slowed the tide of the Republic instead of turning the war around, they simply cant mine fast enough.

I hope that helps your headcanon

I think Makeb was just written without much care for the Agent's choices at the end of Act 3. Erased all records of yourself and became a ghost? Darth Marr's first words to you are something like, "you are the agent who erased yourself from all records."

(1) How did he find me if I was erased from all records and the only living people who know who I am are currently working for me, under the old Minister for Intelligence?

(2) How did he know it was me who erased the records?

(3) How does he know there ever were any records?

(4) How did he know I was even still alive, given that some of the last people to see me alive watched me seemingly die on Corellia?

(5) How from all of this did he get my holofrequency?

(6) Do I not have the ability to screen calls from people I don't want to uncover my secret?

(7) Why... how... what?

I think Makeb was just written without much care for the Agent's choices at the end of Act 3. Erased all records of yourself and became a ghost? Darth Marr's first words to you are something like, "you are the agent who erased yourself from all records."

(1) How did he find me if I was erased from all records and the only living people who know who I am are currently working for me, under the old Minister for Intelligence?

(2) How did he know it was me who erased the records?

(3) How does he know there ever were any records?

(4) How did he know I was even still alive, given that some of the last people to see me alive watched me seemingly die on Corellia?

(5) How from all of this did he get my holofrequency?

(6) Do I not have the ability to screen calls from people I don't want to uncover my secret?

(7) Why... how... what?

That's only for agents that kept the black codex to themselves and went independent. Loyal agents and republic moles get a different line IIRC.

1) Marr states he spent a lot of resources trying to find you, given the vast resources at his disposal, whatever he considers "A lot" is probably more than the US government spends in a year.

2, 3, and 4.) all of these questions are redundant, he obviously did his homework with #1

5) The first thing Cipher Nine says in the whole bleeding cutscene is that its in intelligence frequency, pay attention.

6) You probably do, but you really don't want to shut down a holocall from a Dark Lord, least of all Darth Marr.

Edited by Nefertuss

Why would a Republic mole Agent want to ensure the Imperial operation on Makeb fails? You end up keeping the planet intact with a huge amount of isotope 5 at the core, and the Empire can't risk maintaining a large military presence on the world.

That's a hell of a nice Christmas present for your Republic handlers. You traitor.

Or alternatively, a good piece of leverage to offer the Republic for a price.

Edited by Cythereal

That's only for agents that kept the black codex to themselves and went independent. Loyal agents and republic moles get a different line IIRC.

1) Marr states he spent a lot of resources trying to find you, given the vast resources at his disposal, whatever he considers "A lot" is probably more than the US government spends in a year.

2, 3, and 4.) all of these questions are redundant, he obviously did his homework with #1

5) The first thing Cipher Nine says in the whole bleeding cutscene is that its in intelligence frequency, pay attention.

6) You probably do, but you really don't want to shut down a holocall from a Dark Lord, least of all Darth Marr.

1) Joke would be on him if I said "no" after all that.

5) So I went about erasing every record of my existence galaxy wide, but I forgot to change my phone number?

6) Working with Sith has never worked out for the Agent. What's he going to do, spend even more resources tracking my ship down?

7) You didn't even answer number 7! :D

I'm just whining for the sake of it here, really, but Marr is not the only case. The Hutt spymaster knows who you are too. As a Cipher, only a tiny handful of people were meant to know who you are to begin with. Total erasure with the Black Codex doesn't seem to amount to much. If the Sith and the Hutts know, the Republic know too, or soon will.

You guys are forgeting one important thing.

The agent didn't defect to the Republic's chain of command.

The agent only became Ardun Kothe's asset and ally.

Agent does not communicate with anyone else in the Republic command.

The Makeb mission is a top secret deal issued only by the senator herself, meaning that Ardun wasn't involved.

Therefore he didn't make any pro-republic requests and the Agent was free to continue his work for the empire.

You guys are forgeting one important thing.

The agent didn't defect to the Republic's chain of command.

The agent only became Ardun Kothe's asset and ally.

Agent does not communicate with anyone else in the Republic command.

The Makeb mission is a top secret deal issued only by the senator herself, meaning that Ardun wasn't involved.

Therefore he didn't make any pro-republic requests and the Agent was free to continue his work for the empire.

Yes, but it all goes back to, before you could be all anti-Empire. Then you're back to being pro Empire. The other classes have the same feeling.