The truth about playing as Preferred...

jkutswings

I read so many threads on these forums, and several people make it sound as if, the moment your subscription lapses, that you're thrown into a prison cell, where Chinese water torture and other unbearable agonies relentlessly fray every fiber of your being until you resubscribe.

Hogwash.

I've played this game for nearly three years, and less than two months of that duration has been as a subscriber. And I've enjoyed the daylights out of it.

Are there noticeable differences? Absolutely. And it's been phenomenal, using this summer to race through a few more class stories with 12x XP. But to say that it's an unmitigated disaster to try and play this game as Preferred is a gross exaggeration.

Now to be fair, there are some limitations that simply CAN'T be dealt with, the biggest of which is that, if you're a fan of PvP, you simply cannot participate in ranked matches if you're not a sub. But pretty much every other obstacle (credit cap, account unlocks, ops passes, xp gain, rep grinds, etc.) has a workaround of either extra time or in-game credits on the GTN. I have plenty of character slots, species unlocked, ops that have been run, and items purchased, all with credits and all prior to subscribing. (DISCLAIMER: I acknowledge that this process isn't for everybody, and is most challenging when your legacy is just starting out, but it is completely viable nonetheless.)

I get that for lots of people, the conveniences of subscribing are worth far more than the monthly fee, and that's perfectly ok. I'm not telling you how to play the game. But there are also plenty of people who VIEW these forums, but have no access to POST on them - I was in that category myself for a very long time - and it's frustrating to only see "one side of the story", so to speak. So with all the new faces joining for the expansion, I wanted to give an account from the other side of the coin.

Overall, subscribing makes a good thing even better, and the 12x XP specifically has been a great perk, but your computer isn't going to blow up if you play as Preferred for awhile.

Nobody. If you (or anybody) wants to subscribe, that's totally cool. I'm just saying that all the "ZOMG! Don't even TRY to play unless you're subbed! It's the worst game ever!!!11111!!!" that sometimes gets posted here is mostly rubbish. Edited by jkutswings

Now to be fair, there are some limitations that simply CAN'T be dealt with, the biggest of which is that, if you're a fan of PvP, you simply cannot participate in ranked matches if you're not a sub.

That only applies to solo ranked though, you can still qeue team ranked.

Source: I got my PT to 1499 group rating in Season 4 as preferred

Edited by RendValor

The truth about opinions is, while you may think one thing, others may think completely differently. Things you find bearable are not found bearable by others. I can come on here and talk about why everything you said is fine is in fact very detrimental to the overall experience. Edited by DudeinFlames

My biggest issues with playing as preferred are, that the 22toons you have on a server, you can play hardly half as preferred.

You cannot attend ops on any class/role needed simply by logging on another character, because passes are character bound.

You cant make any big investments or even just mod/augment a character without running out of money without getting even halfway done.

It's not terrible being preferred no. Just, when you want to be efficent on more than one or two characters, you faceplant in all sorts of fences.

If those one or two characters are more than enough for you though, being Preferred is totally not a bad deal at all.

Edited by Kiesu

The "truth about playing preferred" is that it is something that you choose to do, so you have no room to complain about it.

Maybe preferred isn't for you. Okay. Easy enough to not log in when you aren't able to sub.

For others, though, being able to play at all is something that they may enjoy, even if they don't have all the bells ad whistles that a subscription provides.

So no matter what anyone says, preferred is not a bad deal at all.

Really? My friend tried to queue with a group in ranked, but was not able. I will ask if he queued for GR specifically or just grouped up for Solo.

You have to be in a group with a sub who then queues as a group. The preferred person does not do anything, is my understanding. Hopefully someone will correct me if I explained it incorrectly.

I read so many threads on these forums, and several people make it sound as if, the moment your subscription lapses, that you're thrown into a prison cell, where Chinese water torture and other unbearable agonies relentlessly fray every fiber of your being until you resubscribe.

Hogwash.

Aside from you exaggerating the exaggerations of other people there is no truth here. Your personal experience is not representative of another person's experience. Sure the world won't end but I either play this game as a sub or I don't play it. The difference is big enough for me to conclude it's not playable...for me. Everybody can have their own opinion there.

To come here and claim "the truth" is just silly. You are not the template for mankind.

I read so many threads on these forums

And you're not brain dead yet, impressive. TY for the write up I'm considering doing it.

Aside from you exaggerating the exaggerations of other people there is no truth here. Your personal experience is not representative of another person's experience. Sure the world won't end but I either play this game as a sub or I don't play it. The difference is big enough for me to conclude it's not playable...for me. Everybody can have their own opinion there.

To come here and claim "the truth" is just silly. You are not the template for mankind.

Yeah, that's his opinion. I'm sure your opinion of how other people phrase their opinions is really significant to them. Maybe post something relevant instead of rambling noise.

Edited by Joesixxpack

And you're not brain dead yet, impressive. TY for the write up I'm considering doing it.

Yeah, that's his opinion. I'm sure your opinion of how other people phrase their opinions is really significant to them. Maybe post something relevant instead of rambling noise.

I'm glad this post of yours really added something relevant to the discussion...

I want to try it and see how it goes with a few unlocks. Mainly, I am wondering if I will be able to handle jumping from one character to another to play PvP every day (I do not really want to bug people for grouping), and how much I will miss the Ops. The only thing I still want in the game is the 50,000 PvP kills achievement and to play PvP a little in regs, so I think it will work for me. Right now it doesn't feel it's worth it to pay sub for just playing the same character in PvP without bothering anyone. I've done everything else I wanted in the game. Edited by DomiSotto

I don't like playing as preferred because:

1: Can't hide helm

2: Can't unify colors

3: Only 5 rolls on items a day in FP

4: Warzone limit

5: Ops limit

6: Character limit(I have 21 toons)

7: Credit limit(oh you want that item that is normally 6 mil but finally at 351k credits? too bad you have a limit of 350)

While all those things can be gotten with unlocks and escrow, I don't spend CC on those and most of those unlocks on available on the gtn cost millions. Nah, I'd much rather just spend 15$ a month instead of 20+ per toon to unlock all the QoL items in the cartel market.

Yeah i think so too preferred is the way, if you have most of the things unlocked for your account and legacy.

I think its a little funny being a drop in preferred player how the subscriber community, because its been isolated from the majority of players (if the business model of fallen empire is anything to go by, obviously there aren't enough subs to notice not receiving an extra $20 from these players) that its turned into the echo chamber and there are such strange views going on.. subscribing is awesome for no reason, preferred can only be bad, paying to avoid punishments is a positive thing.. and they've gotten all nasty to try to keep the echo chamber holding, preferred players need to get less, subs need to be better than preferred... desperate... getting exclusive on in game items they already have... i have one now you can't have one... funny how subscribers invented the word entitled but show that behavior many times over preferred players.

Edited by stockmks

As a subscriber, I... Don't give a spit what the rest of you do.

If there's some sort of animosity towards preferred freeps, it's news to me and irrelevant moreover. Can't relate to why anyone should care.

That said, I also don't care if preferred status is junk or isn't. I'll never use it. When I play, I sub. When I'm not playing for a while, I unsub and am not here to care.

All things considered, for what I read, preferred status doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it even with the unlocks. The credit cap would really cramp my merchantilist soul, and buying escrow unlocks is just inconvenient to me.

Fifteen bucks a month is also an irrelevant sum to me, so, convenience wins it for me.

YMMV

Edited by Uruare