A couple of GSF questions

Greezt

I've been getting really helpful answers in this forum, So I guess it's time to push my luck.

I have a couple of questions that aren't connected, but still need answering and I can't find the answers anywhere.

1) Bomber mines: on Trinity's guide, he says he chooses increased radius over an additional mine. Why? Two 1500m mines cover more area than one 2000m mine, can potentially deal double the damage, and give you the benefit of being able to move one away (say to drop on a gunship) while leaving one at the node (or whatever). What am I missing?

2) Shield piercing mechanics: I'll take cluster missiles as an example. Their base damage is 650, and with the 3rd upgrade they get 8% shield piercing. Does that mean that 52 damage goes straight to the hull, and the rest hits the shields? And if I choose plasma warheads on T5, would 8% of the 15% pierce the shields too? I know it's barely a difference, but I wanna understand how it works.

Thanks

1) An additional mine only has it's effect, when you actually can place two of them. This means you get the bonus of a second mine at the beginning of a fight. But during a fight, your mines will get either shot down or will trigger faster than you can replace them and you will never even have the chance of placing a second mine before the first is gone. This makes an additional mine useless in prolonged fights at satellites while the other talent usually triggers easier and hits more enemies and their mines. However, if you want to play a Bomber in TDM then an additional mine can create a bigger area of denial to protect gunships from scouts and also "doubles" the damage if the scout happens to fly through both mines.

2) As far as I understand it, shield piercing weapons take a percentage of the damage a hit (or dot tick) does before shield/hull damage bonuses and that percentage is hitting the hull directly while the rest hits the shields and each of those two parts is modified by shield/hull damage bonuses and modifiers on its own.

Edited by Danalon

1) An additional mine only has it's effect, when you actually can place two of them. This means you get the bonus of a second mine at the beginning of a fight. But during a fight, your mines will get either shot down or will trigger faster than you can replace them and you will never even have the chance of placing a second mine before the first is gone. This makes an additional mine useless in prolonged fights at satellites while the other talent usually triggers easier and hits more enemies and their mines. However, if you want to play a Bomber in TDM then an additional mine can create a bigger area of denial to protect gunships from scouts and also "doubles" the damage if the scout happens to fly through both mines.

2) As far as I understand it, shield piercing weapons take a percentage of the damage a hit (or dot tick) does before shield/hull damage bonuses and that percentage is hitting the hull directly while the rest hits the shields and each of those two parts is modified by shield/hull damage bonuses and modifiers on its own.

That seems reasonable. I think I'll try out both options and see.

Also, another question: I noticed when playing on a different toon that my alacrity affects the cooltdowns of abilities. For example, "Wingman" only has a 57 seconds cooldown on that toon. Does this affect the duration also? If not, it seems I have to get special GSF gear...

Also, another question: I noticed when playing on a different toon that my alacrity affects the cooltdowns of abilities. For example, "Wingman" only has a 57 seconds cooldown on that toon. Does this affect the duration also? If not, it seems I have to get special GSF gear...

Can anyone confirm this?

It just affects tooltips in the hangar. During matches, the cooldowns aren't affected. The last time I checked this was 2-3 months ago, so it might have changed.

Edited by Danalon

It just affects tooltips in the hangar. During matches, the cooldowns aren't affected. The last time I checked this was 2-3 months ago, so it might have changed.

Probably not... I only looked at the hangar tooltips.

Your ground gear and/or advanced class has alacrity on it.