Level synch = Revival of SWTOR

Heat-Wave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, RIP lv 60 PVP server campers camping lowbies in their own camps lol. So infuriating having to log your 60 and taking them over to lowbie planet at the middle of lvling when some sh*tter decided it was too much effort to do actual pvp and rather decided to corpsecamp lowbies to look cool.

This one's easy to address. You turn on the PvP flag, it automatically level-syncs you to the planet while your PvP flag is on. When your PvP flag is off, the state of your level-sync flag is up to you. Put it under the same sort of conditions that the PvP flag is -- you can turn it on any time you want, but in order to turn it off, you have to refrain from any combat activity for a period of time, or possibly be logged out for a period of time. But make it optional, rather than deciding that being forced down to a level appropriate to each planet is the "One True Way™" to have fun, and requiring everyone to have fun that way.

This one's easy to address. You turn on the PvP flag, it automatically level-syncs you to the planet while your PvP flag is on. When your PvP flag is off, the state of your level-sync flag is up to you. Put it under the same sort of conditions that the PvP flag is -- you can turn it on any time you want, but in order to turn it off, you have to refrain from any combat activity for a period of time, or possibly be logged out for a period of time. But make it optional, rather than deciding that being forced down to a level appropriate to each planet is the "One True Way™" to have fun, and requiring everyone to have fun that way.

Sounds like a very reasonable solution. And you did it without calling anyone any names like others have done.

You convinced me, better unsub so I dont accidentally aggro. That would surely be the end of me.

When your level-capped Inquisitor goes back to Korriban, a Darth sitting on the Dark Council, one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the Galaxy, and can't afford to stand in the middle of a pile of trash mobs that an acolyte could defeat because you've been level-synced down to the point where they can actually hit and hurt you significantly, something is screwed up.

and just think, you're not even getting paid to find a better solution that doesn't involve a forced down leveling of everyone.

Good job sir.

When your level-capped Inquisitor goes back to Korriban, a Darth sitting on the Dark Council, one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the Galaxy, and can't afford to stand in the middle of a pile of trash mobs that an acolyte could defeat because you've been level-synced down to the point where they can actually hit and hurt you significantly, something is screwed up.

And that's just one aspect of why making this mandatory is terrible.

Is that similar to an Agent taking down the second most powerful force user in the Empire?

This, to me at least, is going to give even less reason to do the bounty "event". It's going to make it a bit more troublesome to skip trash and since the event is pretty boring to begin with ... easier just to ignore it entirely.

In fact this is likely going to have quite a profound effect on a lot of the more late game activities like seeker droid, macrobinoculars, holocron hunting etc. simply because of the annoying open world trash.

Open world mobs are a pet annoyance of mine anyway with MMO's ( that they respawn, ruins immersion and just really frustrates me having to go back through them sometimes - yes you can speeder past them a lot of the time though but not always especially if their level sync system sucks - I do see why it is this way of course ). Now activities I used to be able to do without worrying about mobs is just going to be that wee bit more annoying as to make me want to probably go do/play something else when I'm at the point in end game where things feel a bit tired.

OTOH heroics are getting far more relevant again so that adds a lot of new content in place so that's a plus.

Also this is going to massively hit gold sellers which I believe would have been a huge motivation for Bioware to adopt this system. No more botting champions with over leveled toons.

Still I feel they could have just implemented a sync system to the Heroics/FP and also made a scale system to WB's to scale them to the highest level of a person in a group ( making you think about group composition before just trucking on in ) and left open world alone and people would have been much happier.

Sure you would still get those people upset about not being able to solo heroics etc. but that is what it is and seems it should have never really been designed that way from the start.

How does this sort of "option" work on PVP server?

Also, what if you want to sync, but you dont want to pvp on pve server?

Also, how does this help with max-lv facerolling content intended for lowbis? WB will remain dead 24/7 like this and solves zero issues with content intended to be grouped or for lowbies.

Funny how all these RP answers come from Sith or Jedi. There is other classes too you know?

If you want realism, smugglers should by your logic be easily killable by every Lord NPC, yet your Sith shouldnt? How does that works in MMO game terms?

Edited by Kiesu

Except to be fair in light of KoTFE - Korriban doesn't exist as you see it when you "go back" to it.

You're basically time travelling back in the game purely for a game mechanic point of view ( something to do ).

The whole "I am this strong now from doing all these things in the game/story" doesn't really apply because if you take that tact then all the trash you killed the first time shouldn't exist, the empire/republic probably wouldn't be in control of these planets any more etc. etc.

So you time travel back to that point in time so the game then reverts you strength back to a point where it was at the same point in time.

Except to be fair in light of KoTFE - Korriban doesn't exist as you see it when you "go back" to it.

You're basically time travelling back in the game purely for a game mechanic point of view ( something to do ).

The whole "I am this strong now from doing all these things in the game/story" doesn't really apply because if you take that tact then all the trash you killed the first time shouldn't exist, the empire/republic probably wouldn't be in control of these planets any more etc. etc.

So you time travel back to that point in time so the game then reverts you strength back to a point where it was at the same point in time.

And for characters who haven't started KotFE yet?

Not that I accept the "time travel" thing one bit. I'm not traveling back in time when my 60 goes to CZ-198, or solos an old Flashpoint, either.

Not that I accept the "time travel" thing one bit. I'm not traveling back in time when my 60 goes to CZ-198, or solos an old Flashpoint, either.

It's irrelevant whether you accept it or not. It's how the game is set up. Events, planetside or in instances, happens at certain points in the Star Wars Legends timeline and that's just how it is.

Edited by MFollin

It's irrelevant whether you accept it or not. It's how the game is set up. Events, planetside or in instances, happens at certain points in the Star Wars Legends timeline and that's just how it is.

If there's time-travel, then it needs to be mentioned in game.

Otherwise, there's no time-travel.

If there's time-travel, then it needs to be mentioned in game.

Otherwise, there's no time-travel.

It isn't time travel in terms of a story tool, it's time travel in terms of game mechanics. They don't need to mention that as it ought to be obvious. The alternative would have been to have planetside 'phasing' (ESO have that to some degree IIRC) but Bioware chose not to do that.

Edited by MFollin

I am not sure about your type of roleplay but our guild doesn't expect to stand in mobs and not kill them, even if we are overleveled. It truly doesn't make sense in a rp sense if you are in an area where there are enemies that you don't kill them .

We have always killed the mobs around us and if we didn't want to deal with mobs there are places on the planets where you can avoid mobs. I know we have.

Maybe we look at roleplay differently. We expect that at times our characters will be hurt. We don't expect to be overly powerful. In our experience having everyone overly powerful and unable to be hurt, etc can eventually cause rp to die or people to look elsewhere for rp.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

yeah not keen.. very not keen. I'm the exact opposite and would rather buy a permanent account wide 12x class boost or the same but as a week token or similar.

Screw side quests have done them all, never again!. LONG LIVE 12X!!.. for those of us who WANT to play the MMO part of the MMORPG (as in do the story and get into endgame pve/pvp for those who may need it spelled out)

And for characters who haven't started KotFE yet?

When you go back and kill something you've killed maybe 100 times you're not travelling back in time?

Right...

I wish they'd have just given us the option to lower our own level rather than throw this blanket onto everyone all the time everywhere period.

I can see where making it mandatory under certain conditions would be a good thing. If your PvP flag is set, you level-sync to the planet you're on; this makes it harder for the people whose measure of their personal self-worth is driven by how fast their level-60 character can gank your level-10 character to get their jollies. Even scaled, the higher-level character's gear is going to create an imbalance, but it's not going to be the current "I crush you, you fan me" exchange it is now. For the rest of the non-flashpoint content, make the flag voluntary, but make it impossible to toggle off quickly -- having to log out or not be in a combat situation and outside of any mission instance for ten minutes or so will keep people from flipping it on and off to abuse the content. If you want to do Master/Padawan RP with your high-level characters and the low-level characters in your guild, you can turn the flag on and go run their missions with them, and the characters who don't want to bother with the mobs on a planet and are just going back to get the datacrons they bypassed can do that, too.

I'm hearing a whole lot of 'We really don't want you guys going to lower level worlds anymore' from this decision. Is that what they meant to say? Doesn't really matter what they think they mean. My credit card only cares about what I hear.

It sounds to me more like "You're not having fun the right way, so we're going to force you to have fun the right way, whether you want to or not".

I LOVE helping lowbie guildies and friends, but usually it's COMPLETELY impossible due to the XP loss if I join party, and let's be honest, it sucks the joy of the game if you one shot everything.

If the level-sync is optional, then if you want to help lowbies, you can turn it on and play that way. If it's mandatory, then when your Jedi Master or Dark Council member has to worry about the mobs they might run into on their starting planet that they struggled with as a Padawan or acolyte, how have you increased in power? Yes, you've got all of these abilities you didn't have as a lowbie that give you lots of different visuals for your attacks, but you're doing the same amounts of damage you did back then.

My quest ion is, the stats on your equipped armor, they are still going to give you the full benefits when you level down isn't it? They're not going to scale them back to the level you were synced in.

At the San Diego Cantina Event, they said that the flashpoint scaling would reduce the stats on your gear by a factor determined by your level and the level that you're getting scaled to, so I would expect that it would work the same way for the planetary scaling.

However, I hope -- probably futilely -- that the scaling is done on a component-by-component basis. Say you're level 50, and you're going back to a planet where your gear is scaled to 25% of what it would normally be. And you have another character who's actually at that level, so none of their gear is scaled. Both of them have level-10 Hawkeye crystals in their weapons and offhands, giving them +82 Power... except that the level-50 character, if the scaling is based just on your total stat values, is only getting +20 Power from their pair of level-10 crystals. If you have old upgrades -- low-level Augments that you slotted early in your character's career and didn't upgrade because it wasn't cost-effective in the middle levels -- they'll be scaled more than they should by their level. Or if you've got level-35 implants or earpiece because you never bothered to upgrade them, they'll get more heavily reduced than they would by their level relative to your synced level would require.

But, I'm afraid that Bioware will take the cheap, fast, and easy solution; it takes much less computation and coding to just look at the character's final stats and apply a single divisor based on the player's level and the synced level than it would be to go through each component and scale them based on the component's level and the synced level, and then sum them up to get the character's scaled stats.

Repeatable content is a gameplay conceit, it has nothing to do with time travel.

... which is exactly what he wrote:

Edited by MFollin

I can see where making it mandatory under certain conditions would be a good thing. If your PvP flag is set, you level-sync to the planet you're on; this makes it harder for the people whose measure of their personal self-worth is driven by how fast their level-60 character can gank your level-10 character to get their jollies. Even scaled, the higher-level character's gear is going to create an imbalance, but it's not going to be the current "I crush you, you fan me" exchange it is now. For the rest of the non-flashpoint content, make the flag voluntary, but make it impossible to toggle off quickly -- having to log out or not be in a combat situation and outside of any mission instance for ten minutes or so will keep people from flipping it on and off to abuse the content. If you want to do Master/Padawan RP with your high-level characters and the low-level characters in your guild, you can turn the flag on and go run their missions with them, and the characters who don't want to bother with the mobs on a planet and are just going back to get the datacrons they bypassed can do that, too.

Hey hey listen!

Repeatable content is a gameplay conceit, it has nothing to do with time travel.

Right so how about taking the reply I made originally around time travel ( not to you by the way ) into the context it was being replied to?

Be it story based or mechanic based - it's still putting you back at a different moment in the games overarching time.

Was that poster talking about CZ or FPs or was he talking about Korriban open world?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.