The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best tanking tree?

Forever_Alone

It's still in debate. Gut costs ammo, Energy Blast provides ammo. Gut is spamable, EB has a 15 second cool down. Gut adds a DOT, Energy Blast has a higher base damage. Gut's dot makes it less useful to be spamed and to get full use out of it you need more points in Tactics.

Here is what I'm looking at for PvP/PVE tanking.

It's still in debate. Gut costs ammo, Energy Blast provides ammo. Gut is spamable, EB has a 15 second cool down. Gut adds a DOT, Energy Blast has a higher base damage. Gut's dot makes it less useful to be spamed and to get full use out of it you need more points in Tactics.

its just that i heard gut does more base damage and adds a dot which generates more threat then energy blast will ever do. Also to note is that the animation for energy blast takes forever to do so its really not ideal to spam it since your rotation will be out of wack and you will lose threat in the process.

hmm, you are going for a PvE/PvP build here and you don't want to take gut? I don't think you are fully aware of how useful a DoT is in PvP. Stops people from being able to re-stealth, stops people from being able to cap a control point, forces healers to cleanse or heal through the DoT while you focus on dealing damage on another target (healers rip their hair out!).

Unless you have severe ammo problems, examples would be that you run out of ammo before you are able to finish one opponent off in PVP (PvE, you shouldn't have ammo problems at all, bottom line), then I would highly suggest gut > energy. Not to mention how energy makes your character take a knee >:(