Thinking of returning

lorddakar

I was thinking of returning, and I was thinking of rolling a Jedi Sentinel. Are they viable for DPS in PVE. and If they are which is better Combat or Watchmen.

The short answer is Yes, they are absolutely viable in PvE content. With that said though, and getting into more detail, they are among the most challenging to play in current PvE ops. Sentinels are not in a horrible place by any means in my own opinion but with the level of unfriendliness shown towards melee classes, and the difference in quality of life among individual melee classes, Sentinel players by far have their work cut out for them. So if you're up for a challenging PvE gaming experience definitely give it a shot.

Combat vs Watchman

Theoretically speaking Watchman should be higher than Combat. Watchman of course is a damage over time (DoT) based spec while Combat is more of a burst spec. Generally speaking DoT specs tend to do better on fights with not a lot of movement and target swapping while burst specs excel at the complete opposite. However at the moment with the current patch the gap between the two is not as expansive as you may think. Watchman spec at the moment has a very involved rotation that keeps the player fighting against the rotation if your goal is to maximize DPS output and efficiency. For this reason alone, and of my own opinion, Watchman suffers in current PvE content as far as DPS output when compared with Combat Spec. Combat spec is a bit easier to perfect and does not have the same rotational issues that Watchman spec has been dealing with for much of 3.0 Keep in mind however that the difference in DPS output at the moment between the two specs is less than 200 DPS. Being that both specs are capable of pulling 5K DPS this makes the difference even more so negligible.

Either way you go though, Watchman or Combat, you'll have your work cut out for you playing either in PvE Ops. I personally love the challenge and that is the primary reason I main a Sentinel in Progression content. My suggestion would be to decide which spec is more YOUR playstyle. I've linked some good information (guides) pertaining to both specs below that should help you sort out which you'd rather get into if any. I highly recommend the you touch base with the two guys who wrote the Watchman guides if you have any questions beyond their written text. The Combat guide I wrote, so if you have any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them.

Hope this all helps clear the air for you and good luck moving forward :)

Watchman

Ardarell_Solo Guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=819073

Oofalong Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1njmxrlejf3xx-pmqiUPdJBYCaFbvRiEWTAenBgm39k4/edit#

Combat

Hayete Guide: http://www.hayete.net/ (Find under "Guides")

Awesome input. Right now I am on the fence of either a sent or a guardian. Both are appealing. Watchmen looks fun as does the combat. I am also leaning towards A vigliance guardian just trying to get some input on both advance class's before I choose. Don't want to choose one and regret and have to re-roll it. And thanka for the guides as well. Edited by lorddakar

Awesome input. Right now I am on the fence of either a sent or a guardian. Both are appealing. Watchmen looks fun as does the combat. I am also leaning towards A vigliance guardian just trying to get some input on both advance class's before I choose. Don't want to choose one and regret and have to re-roll it. And thanka for the guides as well.

I've played a Vigilance Guardian in current tier HM progression. They're a blast to play and bring great utility to the group but me personally I enjoy the speed of the Sentinel comparitively but both are a blast to play and bring their own unique pros and cons to a group. Either way though mate good luck and have fun, it is a game after all right? :D

Hayete once again explained it perfectly! :-)

Might add that 4.0. will probably (*cough*) sort out the rotational issues Watchman has. On the other hand we don''t know how dps balance will look then...

Atm I wouldn't really advise anyone to go WM/Anni for progression, unless they are willing to invest a lot of time learning the rotation.

And yes, Vigilance Guardian is tons of tun to play, just for Vigilant Thrust alone ^^

So I'm with Hayete again: if you're not going hardcore progression, just chose what's most fun for you personally! (For me that would actually be the Guardian option...)

I am also in favour of combat spec, i have 3 separate characters to cover each sent/maur spec. Combat just seems to flow very smoothly. Watchman whilst i do think it still very effective just feels awkward somehow. Conc spec is somewhere between the two i think in terms of how well abilities flow. I mostly play pvp but combat/watchman seem similar enough in dps that it should be just down to the playstyle you enjoy. Conc may be a little lower.

Having all three guard specs also i do find them lower damage than sent though not significantly, and a slower pace of play.

All sent specs and vig/focus specs on guard suffer one massive problem however... they are melee and that will make it hard to find a spot in ops unless in a guild that is a bit relaxed.