Possible Return of Darth Vader in the new films

irished

What has Hayden Christensen done other than Star Wars? A few B movies here and there, in addition, some supporting roles. Pretty much nothing of any recognition. If he were a good actor, that wouldn't be the case.

Regarding your "he didn't get a chance", there's good reason for it. He was the lead actor in SW 2 and 3, and couldn't pull it off. When it was all said and done, it was Portman, McGregor and McDiarmid.

I won't disagree with you on Lucas' handling of his actors, but that doesn't change Hayden's performance. See McDiarmid and McGregor in all three movies.. We can even go back as far as Ford, who turned into an A-list actor during his prime. Putting the onus on Lucas is nearly idiotic in regards to Hayden.

Ford was quoted saying things like "You can write dialogue like this but you can't expect someone to speak it." George Lucas wasn't as big back then and didn't have as much control. Harrison ford interjected and even changed his own dialogue/script for his character Han Solo. So did many of the other actors/actresses on the set. Lucas is terrible at dialogue. The problem is most of the people on the set didn't challenge his dialogue. They didn't challenge lucas. Disney can have anyone they want and like any studio they held auditions. Hayden most have won them over so if you don't want to blame lucas you could argue that maybe he just got better because he earned his role back.

Either way we'll know when the movies hit. If he's lambasted again I'll gladly admit that you're right. I'm sure SWTOR will still be around by then.

Edited by Rhyltran

Ford was quoted saying things like "You can write dialogue like this but you can't expect someone to speak it." George Lucas wasn't as big back then and didn't have as much control. Harrison ford interjected and even changed his own dialogue/script for his character Han Solo. So did many of the other actors/actresses on the set. Lucas is terrible at dialogue. The problem is most of the people on the set didn't challenge his dialogue. They didn't challenge lucas. Disney can have anyone they want and like any studio they held auditions. Hayden most have won them over so if you don't want to blame lucas you could argue that maybe he just got better because he earned his role back.

Either way we'll know when the movies hit. If he's lambasted again I'll gladly admit that you're right. I'm sure SWTOR will still be around by then.

Again, when exactly did Hayden become a good actor?

You can blame Lucas all you want, but Hayden is his own man. Meanwhile, well, in the past anyway, other actors have made it from those Star Wars movies. Exactly where is Hayden now?

Personally, I like the dude, he seems pretty cool, but acting is not his forte. Broadway would do wonders for him.

I'll give the man credit though, he did nail ( pun intended) Rachel Bilson.

Again, when exactly did Hayden become a good actor?

You can blame Lucas all you want, but Hayden is his own man. Meanwhile, well, in the past anyway, other actors have made it from those Star Wars movies. Exactly where is Hayden now?

Personally, I like the dude, he seems pretty cool, but acting is not his forte. Broadway would do wonders for him.

I'll give the man credit though, he did nail ( pun intended) Rachel Bilson.

Ian Mcdiarmid has been in more than 47 films since he began his career. This was long before the prequel movies so he's had quite a few experience. Ewan Mc'gregor despite his performance being really good in the movies has been in plenty of "Not so stellar" films. I will concede on this but sometimes film and dialogue can influence your career as well.

Remember, she did play in Mars attacks which is one of the earlier films that she participated in and she wasn't exactly being begged to play in some high budget movies afterwards. You ignored my point. Disney has no ties Goerge anymore and they can hire anyone they want. They also likely held auditions for the role. If Harden is so terrible why cast him again? Especially when Disney has been avoiding anything prequel related and know the backlash against them? They know Hayden wasn't popular as Anakin but they're giving the actor another chance. Why would they do this if he was so terrible? What did he do at the auditions that gave him another shot?

Ian Mcdiarmid has been in more than 47 films since he began his career. This was long before the prequel movies so he's had quite a few experience. Ewan Mc'gregor despite his performance being really good in the movies has been in plenty of "Not so stellar" films. I will concede on this but sometimes film and dialogue can influence your career as well.

Remember, she did play in Mars attacks which is one of the earlier films that she participated in and she wasn't exactly being begged to play in some high budget movies afterwards. You ignored my point. Disney has no ties Goerge anymore and they can hire anyone they want. They also likely held auditions for the role. If Harden is so terrible why cast him again? Especially when Disney has been avoiding anything prequel related and know the backlash against them? They know Hayden wasn't popular as Anakin but they're giving the actor another chance. Why would they do this if he was so terrible? What did he do at the auditions that gave him another shot?

Your point is?

Its been ten years since part three was released. Where's Hayden now?

Near obscurity.

Edited by Pirana

Your point is?

Its been ten years since part three was released. Where's Hayden now?

Near obscurity.

My point is he was clearly better than everyone who auditioned the part or Disney would have hired someone else. Let's not forget given the status star wars has there's plenty of even well known actors who would jump at the part but they're not getting it, are they?

Edited by Rhyltran

My point is he was clearly better than everyone who auditioned the part or Disney would have hired someone else. Let's not forget given the status star wars has there's plenty of even well known actors who would jump at the part but they're not getting it, are they?

Clearly better? Not at all a valid assumption. he has face recognition. Trailers with him in them will resonate with people who saw the old movies and it will help tie them to the new ones. It's Disney, therefore it's marketing.

Probably because Christensen isn't a bad actor. If you've seen his other stuff he didn't get a chance. If you read interviews and watch the documentaries George was quoted as telling him to be "Whinier." and "project more." and that he wasn't being "whiney" enough. So the blame is on Lucas for his performance. With a better director he could do better in his role.

Not exactly what I meant- good actor or bad actor, it surprises me his role would be reprised for Vader... Now that he's in armor. Any actor who is tall enough and has a mean enough voice could be put into Vader's suit. So why bother using the actor whose known for being out of the suit?

And I totally believe you on the Lucas detail. I've never heard of that, but there were some scenes in the prequels that I thought Christensen did very well. There were even some scenes his whining excelled ("Obi-Wan's gonna kill me.").

Not exactly what I meant- good actor or bad actor, it surprises me his role would be reprised for Vader... Now that he's in armor. Any actor who is tall enough and has a mean enough voice could be put into Vader's suit. So why bother using the actor whose known for being out of the suit?

And I totally believe you on the Lucas detail. I've never heard of that, but there were some scenes in the prequels that I thought Christensen did very well. There were even some scenes his whining excelled ("Obi-Wan's gonna kill me.").

Most of his scenes without dialogue are actually really good. His body language. The way he moves the facial expressions are great. Such as when he's walking to the temple to kill the younglings.

Disney had nothing to do with Star Wars back then.

Regarding Lucas' choice on Hayden, or whoever made that decision, it was a poor choice. No different than in the original when Hamill was chosen.

Considering Hayden was in arguably the most popular Saga of all time, those movies should have propelled him into stardom. Instead, he rode the coattails and got a few roles here and there. Again, where's he at now?

There's a number of young actors that have come along in the last ten years, while Hayden has all but disappeared. And if he does emerge in part eight, he'll probably get a few more bit roles, then once again, obscurity.

Edited by Pirana

Most of his scenes without dialogue are actually really good. His body language. The way he moves the facial expressions are great. Such as when he's walking to the temple to kill the younglings.

I will agree with you here. There were some scenes where he displayed some solid acting skills.

There's rumors that Kylo could be a Skywalker or a Solo. If that's the case then his obsession with Vader means he has an obsession with his grandfather. It's more likely that if this is the case Anakin is going to come back as a ghost to lay him straight about how much he's messed things up.

If you read Aftermath, you'll discover that a group known as the Acolytes from the Beyond are also seeking out Vader relics, and consider him to be a hero or at least a martyr.

I don't think that Kylo Ren's (possible) obsession proves that he's family. It could be more of an ideological association that he feels, similar to how the Acolytes find cause to seek out things related to the famous Sith.

I'm pretty sure that none of them know that Vader turned back to the light before he died.

Vaders mask is what allowed him to breathe, and Vader asked Luke to take it off so he could see him with his own eyes. Vader died from not being able to breathe. therefore, he is dead. If that didn't kill him, Luke cremated his body. the only thing that remains of Vader is pieces of his now charred armor. Edited by cool-dude