Back from a break of SWTOR, can't decide between Guardian and Senti for PVP

ArielRebel

Hello community!

As my title implies, I just came back from a several-month break from the game and I'm kind of lost in what is what. I read about in the forums of both ACs and it seems sentinel is still an underdog that needs attention from the devs and guardian recieved the nerf bat not too long ago. I'm mainly a pvp player and I'm wondering which one is most viable but mostly FUN to play. As I'm used to play my operative and wanted another melee class, do they have about the about same amount of burst and survivability as the op/scoundrel?

Thx for any tips/information!

Juggernauts are quite good in pvp, especially vengeance which has fairly high burst, dotspread, and decent survivability. I haven't played a mara too much in pvp, but watching fellow guildies play it I've found that carnage and fury are both good specs with nice burst. Anni isnt bad either, but the pressure that comes from it is fairly low. Personally, id recommend trying both, as with tge 3.3 gear cost changes and 12x xp it's quite easy to get both in full exumed gear and see what you like.

They are both underdog classes, but they are also both fun classes.

I recommend playing both (for fun factor reasons).

I recommend both jedi knight and sith warrior story lines.

(Just remember though, guardians and knights can swap between dps and tank roles, where sentinel and marauder can only choose DPS roles).

Ok, here's Pro's and Cons to each class.

Guardian:

Pros:

You are tanky AF.

You deal good damage

Sticky Situations always have an escape.

Ranked isn't too hard.

Regs are a curbstomp fest.

Excellent Mobility

Cons:

Class has a high skill cap.

Melee Class.

Vigilance takes forever to kill targets, and Focus dies too fast without a healer.

Tank is one of the worst of the three for PvP but CAN work.

Can have low group synergy. (only 2 short range Group buffs that must be talented. You have better utility uses than the Group Buffs though)

Low CC immunity.

Sentinel:

Pros:

You have excellent killing potential in Combat and Concentration

Group Buffs

Wide variety of DCD's

Good Group Synergy.

CC Immunity in Concentration Spec

Decent Mobility

Cons:

Glass Cannon AF.

If you want to do Ranked, you better get GOOD.

Regs are a chore if you aren't good.

No Spec Variety (Concentration is the only truly viable Ranked spec)

You need a Healer for Ranked.

Most other classes are more mobile than us.

Bloodthirst cannot be used in Arenas.

I could probably think of a thousand other cons.

IMO, If you want a class that you want to excell at from the start, don't pick either of the Knight subclasses. If you like challenges, but don't like everything to be a nightmare to kill, Pick Guardian. If you are already really good at the game, and you want to be rewarded for each kill you make, Pick Sentinel.

Ok, here's Pro's and Cons to each class.

Guardian:

Pros:

You are tanky AF.

You deal good damage

Sticky Situations always have an escape.

Ranked isn't too hard.

Regs are a curbstomp fest.

Excellent Mobility

Cons:

Class has a high skill cap.

Melee Class.

Vigilance takes forever to kill targets, and Focus dies too fast without a healer.

Tank is one of the worst of the three for PvP but CAN work.

Can have low group synergy. (only 2 short range Group buffs that must be talented. You have better utility uses than the Group Buffs though)

Low CC immunity.

Sentinel:

Pros:

You have excellent killing potential in Combat and Concentration

Group Buffs

Wide variety of DCD's

Good Group Synergy.

CC Immunity in Concentration Spec

Decent Mobility

Cons:

Glass Cannon AF.

If you want to do Ranked, you better get GOOD.

Regs are a chore if you aren't good.

No Spec Variety (Concentration is the only truly viable Ranked spec)

You need a Healer for Ranked.

Most other classes are more mobile than us.

Bloodthirst cannot be used in Arenas.

I could probably think of a thousand other cons.

IMO, If you want a class that you want to excell at from the start, don't pick either of the Knight subclasses. If you like challenges, but don't like everything to be a nightmare to kill, Pick Guardian. If you are already really good at the game, and you want to be rewarded for each kill you make, Pick Sentinel.

Ok so... as a big "résumé" of your opinion, as I used to main (before my several months long break) scoundrel/ops, I should probably stick to that class (specced conceal/scrapper) if I want a melee that has big burst but is also viable (or at least a lot easier)?

Edited by ArielRebel

Ok so... as a big "résumé" of your opinion, as I used to main (before my several months long break) scoundrel/ops, I should probably stick to that class (specced conceal/scrapper) if I want a melee that has big burst but is also viable (or at least a lot easier)?

If you want Melee + Burst + Easy, you will want Advanced Prototype Powertech, If you have a healer buddy, you can make a Sentinel and spec Concentration.

If you want Melee + Burst + Easy, you will want Advanced Prototype Powertech, If you have a healer buddy, you can make a Sentinel and spec Concentration.

I only like burst but I dont want to roll FOTM hehe thats why im not going assassin or PT. I was just wondering if what you were telling me was "stay away from sentinel unless you have a pocket healer as a friend" or else It will only be a headache.

I only like burst but I dont want to roll FOTM hehe thats why im not going assassin or PT. I was just wondering if what you were telling me was "stay away from sentinel unless you have a pocket healer as a friend" or else It will only be a headache.

I don't roll with a pocket healer buddy, but I also have good experience with the class and it's limits. If you can learn to assist people and not go for targets yourself early on, then you can roll a Concentration Sentinel, they are overall better than their Focus Guardian counterparts in the damage department, and can take a little bit of a beating. You will want to take the talents that boost Transcendence and Guarded By The Force in order to be useful. Hell, i'll link you my build for Talents.

http://dulfy.net/2014/10/13/swtor-disciplines-calculator-swtor_miner/?link=dGEAAAA8AwECFwIFBAkKDxMA

Just click the Republic symbol at the top to translate it all to Republic terms.

I don't roll with a pocket healer buddy, but I also have good experience with the class and it's limits. If you can learn to assist people and not go for targets yourself early on, then you can roll a Concentration Sentinel, they are overall better than their Focus Guardian counterparts in the damage department, and can take a little bit of a beating. You will want to take the talents that boost Transcendence and Guarded By The Force in order to be useful. Hell, i'll link you my build for Talents.

http://dulfy.net/2014/10/13/swtor-disciplines-calculator-swtor_miner/?link=dGEAAAA8AwECFwIFBAkKDxMA

Just click the Republic symbol at the top to translate it all to Republic terms.

Thx for the info! Ill continue to lvl my sentinel to 60 but as I was playing it as combat, I will try the concentration spec as it sounds like the most viable.