The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Character names

Tenacity

By this point it seems like it's impossible to get any kind of name that sounds both unique and imposing, I'm thinking people are pulling out dictionaries and encyclopedias at this point to come up with decent character names =P

I'm in the process of trying to make a new Cathar male character, a smuggler. Anyone have any suggestions I could try for a bold sounding name?

Just toy with syllables. Makes lots of fun and gives distinct names, too.

You must be kind of sensitive to it, though. You must get a feeling for what kind of feelings certain syllable, vowel and letter combinations produce.

I once did an Inquisitor, with a name that's very irritating - at least to me : "Raarvib".

This is some syllable / vowel / letter experimentation running amuck.

The first part of the name is soundin *very* aggressive - "raar"

meanwhile the second part of the name sounds very ... daft, to put it politely. ;) The combination "vib" sounds like a small animal, something you'd want to cuddle. ;)

I stuck with this name, because I intended to play that Inquisitor fully light-sided : In the end, his name produced all 3 desired elements :

- having an imposing part "raar"

- having an light-side part "vib"

- irritating people, because of a combination of two diametral opposed elements which provoke feelings like Night & Day put together into 1 kettle.

This is just an example to what these syllable / vowel / letter experiments might lead to.

www.behindthename.com

I always start with a character concept - just a general idea of rough personality traits - and pick a couple names that fit. If you go to 'tools' there's lists of name themes, and you can search names by meaning. Then, I moosh a couple of those root names together, playing around until I get something that's both pleasing and star-wars-y enough to feel 'right.' (I only wish we could have spaces - I'd love a way to have two separate 'chunks' of name, without attaching them together with apostrophes. That's a thing I'd prefer to keep reserved for my Twi'leks, since, you know.... that's a thing they do.)

I usually translate something that fits. My BH started out as a Pyrotech so it was called Gori ('burn'). My Guardian was 13th character created, so I used the time honored tradition of the big families and named him Tredici (13). My Mara is Becchino (a 'gravedigger' associated with Black Death times).

Speaking of Black Death, I alos go back in time. Looking at early medieval name lists for particular cultures is very nice because a lot of those names disappeared from the common use, but are very good, actually. Antoglio, Temir or Pereswet have a cultural feel to them and won't be on the forefront of the other players' minds.

If you are looking for a name of a Cathar Warrior, I suggest looking at the names of either Nordic, Native American or Oriental or any other cultures that to you will associate with whatever your character strives to represent. Heh, my male Cathar is a BT1 kitten, a sneaky Operative healer, so I called him Runt'o'litter....

Or pick a word, and use Google translator to see what it comes up in a different language, and not just the common one.

Naming chars is fun :) I hope you come up with a great one!

By this point it seems like it's impossible to get any kind of name that sounds both unique and imposing, I'm thinking people are pulling out dictionaries and encyclopedias at this point to come up with decent character names =P

I'm in the process of trying to make a new Cathar male character, a smuggler. Anyone have any suggestions I could try for a bold sounding name?

With keeping in the tradition of the Star wars practice, how about this name. "Kawr-sair"

for your Smugglers name. Oh and by the way that name is the Latin name for "corsair" which means Pirate, which are great at smuggling things, so it could mean a Smuggler as well, if you think of it like that i guess.

USE it, don't use it, but i mainly wanted to show how easy it is to come up with a name that MOST likely no one else would have.

Take Care and Be well....

Looking at early medieval name lists for particular cultures is very nice because a lot of those names disappeared from the common use, but are very good, actually. Antoglio, Temir or Pereswet have a cultural feel to them and won't be on the forefront of the other players' minds.

Very interesting ideas ! Thanks ! :)

Oh and by the way that name is the Latin name for "corsair" which means Pirate, which are great at smuggling things, so it could mean a Smuggler as well, if you think of it like that i guess.

Wait, what? Kawr-sair isn't Latin, it's a phonetic visual pun. Corsair isn't Latin either - although it could conceivably come from the medieval Latin (not the classical Latin, note there are major differences) 'cursarius' the word "corsair" comes directly from the French word corsaire, itself borrowed from the Italian corsaro. This derives from the Latin cursus, meaning "course" (as in journey or expedition). The French word corsaire may also come as a mispronunciation of the Arabic word "qorṣaan", yet the term pirate had been in use in French since the Middle Ages.

OP - Latro is one option (meaning robber, brigand), or Praedo (as in predator). Equally Celo could work (meaning conceal, or hide)

Edited by Bultitudes_Loke

If you just keep looking I never have any trouble finding 5-8 character names and never have to use symbols.. but I do keep trying for 20 mins or more. Just keep trying cool sounding names. Like if you want Nyx and it is taken try Nyxara, Nyxlia, Nyxxa, etc til you get something. Like Dirk, try Dirku, Dirke, Dyrke, Dyrkin, Dyrkk, etc. I just add ending or beginnings on til something pops. Good luck everyone.

When I came back to tor I started over and was going to use female vampire names or pagan goddess names and those were even taken...i had to go to using demonic names to find unique ones

Wait, what? Kawr-sair isn't Latin, it's a phonetic visual pun. Corsair isn't Latin either - although it could conceivably come from the medieval Latin (not the classical Latin, note there are major differences) 'cursarius' the word "corsair" comes directly from the French word corsaire, itself borrowed from the Italian corsaro. This derives from the Latin cursus, meaning "course" (as in journey or expedition). The French word corsaire may also come as a mispronunciation of the Arabic word "qorṣaan", yet the term pirate had been in use in French since the Middle Ages.

OP - Latro is one option (meaning robber, brigand), or Praedo (as in predator). Equally Celo could work (meaning conceal, or hide)

As someone who speaks Classical and Late Latin, and knows a tiny bit of Romeika Greek, I'm fairly certain it comes from the Greek Koursor which was a type of Medium Cavalryman in the Medieval Roman ("Byzantine") period, and in turn derives from 6th century Late Latin Cursor (gen. Cursoris) which was the same.