Actual Game Server Locaiton

Kadra

I'm really confused here about the location of the game's servers. I play on the Red Eclipse server, which is supposed to be European. However netstat shows that I'm always connected to a US server. Currently, it's 159.153.77.212. So I keep wondering, is it just a US based server simply designated to be used by European players only? How does it all fit into the whole picture, can someone explain that to me? Is EA too poor to afford a Euro based server, which would greatly reduce the lag for Euro players...

netstat is only telling you that the server is American because the server's IP is owned by EA a American Company. Most server locators do this, and will tell you that the Servers are all in Redwood California. (which is where EA is headquartered) This has nothing to do with the actual physical location of the servers.

Now if I recall correctly at least some of European servers are in Ireland.

Edited by Zoom_VI

As far as I know it's down to numerical values of IPs, not the owner, which determines the actual location.

No, IP address are not related to physical locations. Although by convention IPs addresses especially for routers are. But that is a convention, not a technical requirement.

EDIT: The point is that what your program is showing is the address for the Company that holds the lease on the IP address. That company is EA.

Edited by Zoom_VI

No, IP address are not related to physical locations. Although by convention IPs addresses especially for routers are. But that is a convention, not a technical requirement.

Well, what I meant it doesn't tie down IPs with actual address or anything, but I was under the impression that the first number (159 in this case) is always assigned to some country.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Kadra

Well, what I meant it doesn't tie down IPs with actual address or anything, but I was under the impression that the first number (159 in this case) is always assigned to some country.

Thanks anyway.

IP addresses are registered and leased from the NIC. The first number is not tied to a country or location. Heck, my University and my Home network have completely different first number on their IP addresses they are within the same city.

EA holds the lease on the server's IP, and the server locator programs show you the information on the lease holder.

Edited by Zoom_VI