I'm insane..

Focusangel

... because i keep wasting my CC on Cartel Packs, hoping for a different result every time (a super rare item, in this case).

I thought we don't need another one of these threads in general discussion, so i'm posting this in Off-Topic.

I had a choice between buying the Satele Statue for 1.5m or trying to get lucky and buy the packs.

Now i'm really f-ing annoyed. Not really because i didn't get the statue, but more because i didn't really get anything worth the CC i spent. 1x Banner worth 250k.. 1x Companion Gift worth 25k - the rest is below 10k.

1500 CC just gone.

This may not sound much for some ppl, but it is for me. :jawa_mad:

At the end it's partly my fault tho - because i keep doing it. .__. still annoying tho.

Gonna make me a big sticky note now.. "DON'T BUY CARTEL PACKS!"

Now, I realize this is a game, and the developers want the cartel market to reflect both sides in parity ooc -- however -

I have to question why there is even a Satele Shan statue to begin with - from an "in character" standpoint.

After all, wouldn't the Jedi order frown on that type of object dedicated to a living leader, as it would be considered not in keeping with teachings of humility and that sort of thing?

I mean, on the Imperial side, sure. Its a dictatorship, and one thing RL has in common with SW - imperialists love huge and impressive statues of themselves. < I was in Eastern Europe before the fall of the iron curtain, and I saw plenty of statues of the then dictators of said regimes>.

I can see the Republic senators, politicians etc. having statues etc. but a living Jedi? Not so much.

Now, I can see them making statues of a Jedi Hero who has since passed away. But not of someone while they are still alive.

As for the whole cartel market thing - ya, its a gamble at best to get the stuff you'd like. I wish you could just buy the goods straight up for cartel coins rather than the arbitrary luck of the draw way it currently is arranged.

Now, I realize this is a game, and the developers want the cartel market to reflect both sides in parity ooc -- however -

I have to question why there is even a Satele Shan statue to begin with - from an "in character" standpoint.

After all, wouldn't the Jedi order frown on that type of object dedicated to a living leader, as it would be considered not in keeping with teachings of humility and that sort of thing?

I mean, on the Imperial side, sure. Its a dictatorship, and one thing RL has in common with SW - imperialists love huge and impressive statues of themselves. < I was in Eastern Europe before the fall of the iron curtain, and I saw plenty of statues of the then dictators of said regimes>.

I can see the Republic senators, politicians etc. having statues etc. but a living Jedi? Not so much.

Now, I can see them making statues of a Jedi Hero who has since passed away. But not of someone while they are still alive.

As for the whole cartel market thing - ya, its a gamble at best to get the stuff you'd like. I wish you could just buy the goods straight up for cartel coins rather than the arbitrary luck of the draw way it currently is arranged.

I'd say some things you just consider out of character. Do you consider yourself truely getting your hair done if you have the vanity chamber health regen ability?

Don't most packs sell on the GTN directly for like 250K or something?

Rather than opening the packs, you could have sold 6 of them and bought the 1.5M statue directly.

Just saying.

While this is true, the OP has a bit of a point. Look at the recent Deep Core Packs. Dark Legionnaire Breastplate is going for 3-5million. :p This is a rather new item going for more than most Black/Black and White/White dyes.

While this is true, the OP has a bit of a point. Look at the recent Deep Core Packs. Dark Legionnaire Breastplate is going for 3-5million. :p This is a rather new item going for more than most Black/Black and White/White dyes.

True true.

But the new stuff tends to run for more -- as it's fresh.

I'm thinking about getting the new Havok armor, for instance, but I'm going to wait until the prices become more reasonable. Don't want to pay the "early adopter" tax.

Edited by Khevar

In any game with rng packs. It's always easier to buy what you want with credits. You should only open packs if you like the thrill of rng. You can generally make more credits by selling the packs than opening packs. I only open Wild Space packs because I wanted to open a few. I haven't touched an rng pack in any mmorpg in little under a year. If you decide to open packs go big or go home. This also applies if you buy them with in game credits or with cartel coins.

there's "a pack a day" metaphor somewhere in this thread. If you calculate your pack opening habit like people count their packs per day smoking habit. You'd see some alarming trends.

Around december 2012, I witnessed a general fleet chat discussion of a few smokers talking about how 14.99 MMO subscription is only 2 packs of cigarettes they have to cut back. One guy was from New York, so it was like 1.5 packs, his packs were above 10 dollars each because of new york sin tax.

Subscribing to this MMO helped them cut back on smoking and they calculate everything in terms of cutting back cigarette packs per month.

how many (cartel) packs do you smoke a day?

if you think you're insane, there's always this guy. So, cartel packs are now not even worth the gamble.

His complaint, "you're discouraged from opening packs after reaching Legend reputation rank"

He wanted to open more packs but felt the game forced him to stop when his reputation reached Legend rank.