New graphics are good but....jarring

Mynden

Does anyone else find that outlander trailer odd? Valkorian and everything there looks REALLY nice and the outlander looks like a saturday morning cartoon. It's just off. I like the updated quality, but it'd be nice if they allowed a 1 time free customization for our characters if they are going to be increasing the texture resolutions and poly counts on NPCs

Here's some screenshots that show my point

Valkorian - https://torcommunity.com/images/kofe/swtor_kotfe_screenshot_03.jpg

Outlander - https://torcommunity.com/images/kofe/swtor_kotfe_screenshot_06.jpg

Even the new companions look great - https://torcommunity.com/images/kofe/swtor_kotfe_screenshot_18.jpg

Edited by Mynden

Yep there is a big difference between them, the Outlander looks like the work of an apprentice instead of the other ones that looks like they were done by a professional.

It really does stand out in comparison

You've got to look at some of the more details Complextion options. I too looked at the new models in KotFE empire and then looked back at some of my characters and noticed that they are a bit bland. I'm not at home, but recently I edited my Wrath to look a bit more unique and went for the more detailed hair styles.

The issue for The Outlander in the trailer and those pictures is that he looks very plain and generic. White guy with a scar on his eye. Obviously the new NPC models have more geometry (what is it called? Higher resolution? High-detail?) than the character creation, but there are a few things you can do to make your character more on the level with these new NPCs.

No, I am not. Armor detail isn't much different, and as for the faces, one has more textures because he is older. I'm not missing the point, you're just making a moll hill out of an ant hill.

Nope, the resolution of the textures is higher. They've come out and said everything post KOTFE will have updated graphics. And that armor detail is MUCH higher...mostly the resolution of the textures

it is not new graphics. it's just new models and objects having sharper and higher res textures and more detail. They are made rather exclusively for new characters. Notice, that unlike almost every NPC in the game Valkorion, Lana etc. aren't sharing faces and hair with other npcs in the game.

Nope, the resolution of the textures is higher. They've come out and said everything post KOTFE will have updated graphics. And that armor detail is MUCH higher...mostly the resolution of the textures

Hmm, no wonder the videos are all 15-20 fps. With this god awful engine, better graphics are a horrible idea.

it is not new graphics. it's just new models and objects having sharper and higher res textures and more detail. They are made rather exclusively for new characters. Notice, that unlike almost every NPC in the game Valkorion, Lana etc. aren't sharing faces and hair with other npcs in the game.

That is updated graphics. By definition. Not the same thing as a new engine.

It's impossible to compare those two screenshots and say without a shadow of a doubt that the Outlander is wearing a lower-res armor model. One is a closeup shot, the other is not. Squinting at the Outlander model, specifically the belt, it is not low res.

OP,

That was just some extra touches that are typical for in-game trailers. I see it all the time. Except our normal graphics at KotFE launch.

Kinda like food pictures at food places... The food in the picture never looks like the real food... Why, cause the food in the pictures usually isn't real, and if it is, it's waxed and shellacked to look better...

Kinda like food pictures at food places... The food in the picture never looks like the real food... Why, cause the food in the pictures usually isn't real, and if it is, it's waxed and shellacked to look better...

lol, yep, so true. Pretty much every place not named in-n-out.

lol, yep, so true. Pretty much every place not named in-n-out.

Ummmm..... In n Out....

The taco truck I go to has real pictures of the food they make, nom nom nom, now I want tacos, and they are all the way on the other side of town :(

Dammit, now I want tacos....

Humm In n Out Tacos.....

Valkorian and Arcaan come from real scanned human faces. These will always look more realistic, even in heavy-processed TOR's cartoonish style, compared to custom faces. Realism and beauty comes down to imperfections. Small skin details, barely noticeable irregular hairlines, asymetrical facial structure etc.

Unless they improve custom presets for player characters with 3D bone meshes from real humans (which mean NOT perfectly symetrical/sculptured) and imprefect skin/hair, the difference will always be there/

Edited by Pietrastor

I think it is becausew Valkyrion is a brand new face made with newer technology and better graphics and the outlander in that trailer is still the jedi knight 2 or 3 face that is still from launch, therefore they use that one because it's in the game already instead of doing new faces for our characters

;)

I think it is becausew Valkyrion is a brand new face made with newer technology and better graphics and the outlander in that trailer is still the jedi knight 2 or 3 face that is still from launch, therefore they use that one because it's in the game already instead of doing new faces for our characters

;)

I mean yeah, that's the point. The old faces stand out poorly against the new NPC's.