Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ignored!

Stultophobe

If you put someone on ignore and proceed to tell them that you did, that's pretty much you admitting that you can't handle a conversation and you let the other person win.

This is how you know we are on the internet. Apart from all the other clues.

I'm mostly just curious as to this odd compulsion people have to detail their Ignore habits in General chat. What are they expecting, exactly?

Those who announce their ignores are like little children and they assume everyone else is, too. They somehow think they are "punishing" the ignored person. They are also desperate to believe they are "somebody" enough that others do in fact care about their announcement. They are sad, pathetic losers who also like to think people care about their facebook page.

If you put someone on ignore and proceed to tell them that you did, that's pretty much you admitting that you can't handle a conversation and you let the other person win.

And this. Similar to posting "I win!" Pretty much an admission of defeat.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Reno,

There are times you have to use ignore especially when someone is constantly sending you messages that border on harassment. I have had to do this once in the time the game has launch. So it not so much letting the other person win it is being able to play without the harassment. Even when you report for said action, BW recommends you place them on ignore.

Reno,

There are times you have to use ignore especially when someone is constantly sending you messages that border on harassment. I have had to do this once in the time the game has launch. So it not so much letting the other person win it is being able to play without the harassment. Even when you report for said action, BW recommends you place them on ignore.

That stuff doesn't bother me, so I don't give them the time of day of responding or ignoring. If you ignore them on one toon you are still giving trolls attention and they will come at you on another toon. If you do not acknowledge what they are saying to you, then they will find someone else who will. Ignoring only provokes them further and wastes your time trying to ignore them.

Lastly, if I tell someone I am ignoring them it is a message; that being: You can stop talking to me now because I am no longer interested in anything you have to say; Kthxbye.

You're much too polite - it's not a bad thing though, so it's ok. But if i'd get in a situation (this is just me, here) where a discussion go so heated or unpleasant that i'd put the other person on ignore, i wouldn't tell them, precisely so they would keep talking, but to no-one. I'd find that ending funnier.

But then, that's all in theory... not like i talk to many people in the game. If i went through my ignore list, most names would look like "dssfffa" or the like. After getting over 5 mail spams from the same mail bots, i started ignoring them at the 2nd spam.

IMO, there is a difference between placing someone on /ignore for whatever reason, and doing so after a big announcement about it to the community at large.

I have no compunctions about /ignoring folks if they negatively impact my happy fun time. Being able to "handle" a conversation or not is irrelevant -- I can "handle" being splashed with mud or stepping in doggy doo, but why would I subject myself to such unpleasantness when I don't have to?

What I don't do is advertise my /ignores. I simply do it and get on with my game.

First thing I do when I make a new character is ignore the people with the names like "scroogewaffles" or "cakieislie" or "magicbakon" and stupid things like that. Especially on an rp server. That's about 15 on the starter planet right off the bat. Then if the person brings up politics in the game or they are offensive or speaking in a stupid manner, they go on ignore. If the person just starts saying stuff like "OMG GUYZ1 DROP DA BEAT!!@@2" or "i like pie, jawas and candy!!" then it turns into something weird about people talking about either deserts, sex, race or just plain old trash talking with a dumb name. That is 100 percent without a doubt ignore. Or any of that stuff, they instantly go on ignore. But there is no need to say "welcome to my ignore list" or anything like that. No need to tell people you are ignoring them. You don't need recognition from them at all ;)

But, I fully understand what you are saying OP and that you are "just saying" though. And I understand the urge to "tell them off" in a way :)

It's just fascinating to me how immature people really are when their true nature is being revealed online :p

Just removing the general chat tab would save you a whole lot of time.

People don't care about your religious views (including a lack thereof), you political beliefs, your sexual orientation, whether you think meat is murder or just tasty, how much bacon you are eating while you play, whether you are drunk or not, and a whole lot of other things, but people have no problem deciding to post those in chat.

I generally don't bother posting that I have ignored someone, but I will tell other people that are getting worked up by something someone says to just ignore them, which is a pretty big hint.

But if I do post such a thing? If it really bothers you that much?

Feel free to place me on ignore.

Edited by Mithros

There are times you have to use ignore especially when someone is constantly sending you messages that border on harassment. I have had to do this once in the time the game has launch.

But if you told the person you put them on ignore, you fall into the category Reno was referring to.

Lastly, if I tell someone I am ignoring them it is a message; that being: You can stop talking to me now because I am no longer interested in anything you have to say; Kthxbye.

Here is the message you send by announcing an ignore: "I am a little child who has to have the last word and I have to let you know it." Announcing an ignore serves no legit purpose. They don't need your permission to "stop talking to you now." But it appears to make you feel better about yourself to think others care. So carry on.

Edited by branmakmuffin

i see the ignore feature as a cheat to avoid confronting what you should be confronting, if you make a pile of crap out of something, thats your mess, by placing on the ignore, you expect otherwise to scoop that up? yeah, waiting for hell to freeze over first is likely to happen!

so i dont see the point in it honestly. even looking spammers and scammers, thats okay for them, they have other toons and accounts, they can just delete and spam again, so there is fairly little point in it with something like that and it can be too easily exploited by some people who are just looking to cause chaos and for their twisted fun by doing a similar thing and finding their target again.

if people cant learn to cooperate with each other, then thats their problem, they should get a room.

I just have a question. why exactly SHOULD we be confronting an annoying stranger that has no role whatsoever in our lives other then minor, temporary annoyance? why is this a should? a cheat? why the assumption that its your responsibility that THEY are being annoying? what is there to fix? why should it be fixed in a first place? why am I obligated to cooperate with a random stranger that I don't like, in a game where there are plenty of other strangers for me to cooperate with - stranger that has no bearing on a large scheme of things?

as for people just there to cause chaos... ignore is actualy the best weapon to deal with them. becasue you see, its no fun to cause chaos when people are not actively, continuously responding to your trolling.

You forgot "and reported!", which I find comical because there is usually 10 seconds between the offending behavior and someone typing in "Reported..." in gen chat. I *wish* it was that easy to report anything other than spam.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.