Where's the Silencers?

MooseMooseMoose

During the Sith Inquisitor story we get to have a super weapon called the silencer built, Moff Pyron and a few other Moffs have a silencer fitted to their ship. The weapon is supposed to be able to vaporize an entire fleet in one shot as demonstrated just before Corelia in the story. And it's shown that Moff Pyron is loyal to the inquisitor, however the silencer doesn't ever appear again even when you think it would be most useful. This occurs mostly in the endgame content. I get that it is important that one class doesn't have a clear advantage over the others during this, however, I would hate to see such a brilliant device as the silencer go to waste in Knights of the Fallen Empire. With the return of the class stories during the expansion, seeing the inquisitor's power base still there would be really cool, especially since the Silencer would be an invaluable weapon in the war. Because it really wasn't used even when it would make sense for the inquisitor to call it in. For example when they were trying to get the hutt fleet to submit in the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion. They were trying to talk it down, and you can even destroy the planet in order to get them to leave, but it's not an option just to make a quick holocall and then destroy their fleet quite thouroughly? Or when Malgus has his false empire. His fleet is distracted by the Imperial Navy. Zap, they're no longer a problem. It might even take out Malgus's space station while they're at it. Or when Revan has his ships with his revanite's. Zap, not a problem. I just hope that the fleet is used more effectively in the upcoming expansion.

During the Sith Inquisitor story we get to have a super weapon called the silencer built, Moff Pyron and a few other Moffs have a silencer fitted to their ship. The weapon is supposed to be able to vaporize an entire fleet in one shot as demonstrated just before Corelia in the story. And it's shown that Moff Pyron is loyal to the inquisitor, however the silencer doesn't ever appear again even when you think it would be most useful. This occurs mostly in the endgame content. I get that it is important that one class doesn't have a clear advantage over the others during this, however, I would hate to see such a brilliant device as the silencer go to waste in Knights of the Fallen Empire. With the return of the class stories during the expansion, seeing the inquisitor's power base still there would be really cool, especially since the Silencer would be an invaluable weapon in the war. Because it really wasn't used even when it would make sense for the inquisitor to call it in. For example when they were trying to get the hutt fleet to submit in the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion. They were trying to talk it down, and you can even destroy the planet in order to get them to leave, but it's not an option just to make a quick holocall and then destroy their fleet quite thouroughly? Or when Malgus has his false empire. His fleet is distracted by the Imperial Navy. Zap, they're no longer a problem. It might even take out Malgus's space station while they're at it. Or when Revan has his ships with his revanite's. Zap, not a problem. I just hope that the fleet is used more effectively in the upcoming expansion.

It's mentioned in SI mission on Rishi.

It's mentioned in SI mission on Rishi.

Specifically, the Silencer turns out to have not been that game-changing a weapon after all. Fleet-killing superweapons aren't a shocking new development for the Empire or Republic and after a few victories won by Silencers the Republic and other belligerents adapted their fleet tactics to negate the Silencers. You have a choice on Rishi between trying to make the Silencers more effective or accepting that that advantage is lost and not sink more resources into a weapon of marginal use.

Either way, the Inquisitor's superweapon isn't super anymore and is unlikely to feature in the future. Pyron's fleet will probably be destroyed or otherwise negated in the expansion.

Edited by Cythereal

Specifically, the Silencer turns out to have not been that game-changing a weapon after all. Fleet-killing superweapons aren't a shocking new development for the Empire or Republic and after a few victories won by Silencers the Republic and other belligerents adapted their fleet tactics to negate the Silencers. You have a choice on Rishi between trying to make the Silencers more effective or accepting that that advantage is lost and not sink more resources into a weapon of marginal use.

Either way, the Inquisitor's superweapon isn't super anymore and is unlikely to feature in the future. Pyron's fleet will probably be destroyed or otherwise negated in the expansion.

Exactly. It is explained during our time on Rishi that the Republic has adapted their tactics to limit the usefulness of the Silencer. Also, it is explained that the radiation (or something...can't remember exactly) from the weapon itself is causing Imperial casualties aboard the vessel as well. You either have to scrap it or try to change it. I personally chose to scrap it, but either way I don't think we'll be seeing much of it anymore.

Yes but even before Rishi there was the situation with the Hutt fleet, and the inquisitor didn't even call to see if it was possible for them to pop in and zap them. The same goes for Malgus. As for Revan, I hadn't played that part in a while and had forgotten about that decision. Whoopsie daisy.

Yes but even before Rishi there was the situation with the Hutt fleet, and the inquisitor didn't even call to see if it was possible for them to pop in and zap them. The same goes for Malgus. As for Revan, I hadn't played that part in a while and had forgotten about that decision. Whoopsie daisy.

The Republic and Hutts probably adapted their tactics before then, and Pyron only told you about it on Rishi. Or his fleet was busy elsewhere and unavailable for Makeb or Ilum.

Either way, the game was never going to go "Oh wait you're a Sith Inquisitor excuse us while we solve the problems of this major story arc in a cutscene."

It isn't going to happen in the expansion, either. I think at most the Doombringer might make a brief cameo, but if a Silencer is ever employed in the expansion story it's either going to be made available to all classes or at most it will show up for Inquisitors and everyone else will enjoy the benefits of a comparable superweapon like the Desolator or Gauntlet.

Edited by Cythereal

Can all be reasonably explained. Malgus betrayed the Empire unexpectedly and basically mid-battle. I'd argue that the Empire and Republic had to react to this hastily so as to not lose all forces on Ilum (and allow the creation of a fully cloaked fleet) and there was no time to actually bring Moff Pyron's fleet from whatever war zone it may have been in at the time to Ilum in the unknown regions (probably halfway across the galaxy).

As for the Hutt fleet, I assume you mean the Makeb incident? That was a covert operation that was meant to be kept secret from the Republic. Pretty sure they would have noticed an Imperial invasion force destroying a Hutt fleet.

Can all be reasonably explained. Malgus betrayed the Empire unexpectedly and basically mid-battle. I'd argue that the Empire and Republic had to react to this hastily so as to not lose all forces on Ilum (and allow the creation of a fully cloaked fleet) and there was no time to actually bring Moff Pyron's fleet from whatever war zone it may have been in at the time to Ilum in the unknown regions (probably halfway across the galaxy).

As for the Hutt fleet, I assume you mean the Makeb incident? That was a covert operation that was meant to be kept secret from the Republic. Pretty sure they would have noticed an Imperial invasion force destroying a Hutt fleet.

I think he means the story cutscene before doing Karagga's Palace, where the Hutts are raiding neutral systems to elsewhere regain territory taken by the Dread Masters.

As for the Silencer-equipped Harrowers themselves; Moff Pyron's fleet might be (a major) part of the powerbase of Darth Nox/Imperius/Occlus - but capital ships have travel times. A smaller ship goes faster through hyperspace than a big one, and even for a ship the size of the player ships, it takes the better part of a week to cross the galaxy. Gods only know how long it would take for Pyron's fleet to mobilize, scramble, and then arrive where the Inquisitor needs it.

By the time they'd arrive on am impromptu fleet action, it would be all over anyway.

Edited by Diviciacus

I think he means the story cutscene before doing Karagga's Palace, where the Hutts are raiding neutral systems to elsewhere regain territory taken by the Dread Masters.

Well in that case. For one, that's not personal story so no point in bringing up Silencers, and two, there still wouldn't be many ships with Silencers at that point yet so they'd have to be used as efficiently as possible. And a device designed to destroy an entire fleets is really not used to its full potential defending against Hutt raiders. Let alone the time it would take to move the ships around across the galaxy. :p

Edited by Darkelefantos

Basically the Republic quickly got sick of getting fragged by them and now opens up their formations when they see one..It still presumably kills single cruisers in one shot.

As for where the fleet has been in the post-50 content - it's been killing Republic worms. Malgus, Makeb and Revan were too fast and/or too covert to bring it to bear. It wouldn't have been wanted against the Dread Masters or over Ziost; Marr explicitly says he's banning reinforcements to the latter once he learns what is going on.

Edited by Canareth

I'm going to put my message in the Spoiler field here

During the Consular mission Rishi, you undergo some deep meditation, where you are told that you'll be hearing voices from past, present, and future. You do end up hearing voices from various characters, and at least two of them are from outside your story. One is Moff Pyron. He has a very brief line.

"Firing on Republic warships!"

BioWare has confirmed that there are hints to Knights of the Fallen Empire in Shadow of Revan.