Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

I couldn't think of a snappy title, so this'll have to do.

Lonsecia

There're a few things I'd like to see added/changed in the game that have been bothering me, though some feel as though they may be sorted when the next expansion hits. Some of these I know people will disagree on, and that's fine, but I'd like to at least put them out there.

One: Companions having to be geared. To me, it feels as though their stats should either scale wholly with your level, or else be based a lot more on your Presence, so as to make keeping them useful a lot more reasonable to achieve - especially noticeable when you're a sub and have the 12x exp from story quests. I suspect they may do something about this, but it does feel weird to have to spend credits I don't have to make them even remotely useful. This is also because sometimes you want to take a different character out with you for whatever reason, but feel like you have to take the one that's better-geared.

Two: Companion AI. I did a Jedi Consular mission with a very nasty mech that killed my companion because unless I specifically tell them to stop attacking, they'll be eaten by it's ghastly AoE. I then have to set them to attack again. Similarly, I had a mission where I had to attack a guy who jumped on power pylons, and my companion not knowing what to attack at the right time. The window to do this is rather small, and so the chance at failure is rather high. This is particularly noticeable if you've even the tiniest amount of lag.

Three: Story mission boss balancing. Some of them are just plain horrid, and it's not changed since Vanilla. I remember on my BH levelling without really having any way to access a guide (this was at launch, and I'm a pretty quick leveller) so some bosses where just horrendous. This is also in part because some are clearly more balanced for specific role types than others. There was another where a mech was in the room just before the actual boss and turned out to be harder. Harder to the point where I was glad to be shadow and could just bypass it.

Four: Legacy-wide mounts and pets. This one feels particularly odd given you can set characters up as being married to one another, or siblings, children, etc. Whether or not the availability of them would be tied to their relationship is another matter (rivals having access to the same would be a bit silly).

Five: Dark/Light side and companion affection rebalance. Partly because of subbing, but also because almost any way you play the game, getting affection, or Dark/Light levels high requires a lot of gift-giving or grinding respectively, where it really should be that certain key decisions should have huge impacts on them.

I don't think it's unreasonable to like the idea of a system where a few incredibly cruel acts is enough to send me way down into the dark path and destroy relationships with good-natured companions, just as the opposite should affect it. Though I'd also quite like to see certain things have irreversible affects on affection, such as callous/altruistic behaviour, etc.

Light/Dark is harder to create irreversible affects as they'd be far more impactful on a Dark-side character trying to seek redemption than a Light-side falling. The latter in fact doesn't need greater amounts of light/dark gained for the duration of the game (my Consular only did story quests once she left the starting world and easily hit Light III+) but rather have some actions perhaps permanently shift how far up or down you can rise/fall. I'm fairly certain any Republic character that threatens the child when trying to get medicine is probably asking for that to be impactful. Honestly, I could be way off on the way Light/Dark works, but it felt to me that you could max do really dark things and still end up with surplus Light, and it shouldn't work that way. Actions should have real consequences. I'm hoping with the CGI for the new expansion, our choices will have that impact, so hopefully this'll be moot anyway.

I think that's all of the things that have been on my mind. I don't know how doable they are, but I'd like to think I'm not alone in seeing some room for improvement/ease-of-life (in particular point four).

I don't think it's unreasonable to like the idea of a system where a few incredibly cruel acts is enough to send me way down into the dark path and destroy relationships with good-natured companions, just as the opposite should affect it.

I think this is the way it will work in the expansion, the decisions the player makes have a greater impact on the companions.

They did increase the amount of basic commendations given from class quests to 12 per mission, and after only a few of those you can fully purchase/modify a set of gear for each of your companions (the droids take a while longer). I am able to stop on fleet every 5 levels or so and regear myself and my companions. It doesn't cost anything as far as I'm concerned, since basic comms don't get used much.

" Four: Legacy-wide mounts and pets. This one feels particularly odd given you can set characters up as being married to one another, or siblings, children, etc. Whether or not the availability of them would be tied to their relationship is another matter (rivals having access to the same would be a bit silly)."

Most, if not all, get added to your Collections, which you can unlock Legacy Wide so that any other Character you have or create will be able to get them (at the appropriate level)

They did increase the amount of basic commendations given from class quests to 12 per mission, and after only a few of those you can fully purchase/modify a set of gear for each of your companions (the droids take a while longer). I am able to stop on fleet every 5 levels or so and regear myself and my companions. It doesn't cost anything as far as I'm concerned, since basic comms don't get used much.

I've been using the commendations to gear myself up, and until about level 30+, I don't tend to have enough to gear a companion as well. The other issue with that is I'm still essentially tying myself to one companion as to make them all viable at any given moment would ridiculously time-consuming. Not to mention the fiddly nature of buying mods and such in singles - is there a way to bulk-buy them? I've not found a key-press combo like Shift+left click that works.

As for legacy-wide mounts. I've not seen any unlock for other characters at all. I've not seen a way to purchase the option, either. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I've not spotted it.

I think this is the way it will work in the expansion, the decisions the player makes have a greater impact on the companions.

That's what I'm hoping. I've just played through the Sith Warrior story-line as a Light-sided character and honestly, there are some companions I'd request leave me if they didn't want to do so themselves. Though that also brings to mind the inconsistency in dialogue for all classes where sometimes all the options still make you sound like a jerk or a po-faced and sincere Bringer of Light. My Sith Warrior's Jaesa is Light-sided, and with Vette, we're basically three ''goodies'' on a ship with people we can't trust. It's interesting, and it's the kind of thing I'd like to see them explore a little.

I wonder if they'll add dialogue options only available to Light/Dark/Neutral characters. Preferably not with the tiers restricting you. I'd hate to see a Light/Dark option greyed out because I'm 10 points off the tier. Currently, it often feels like some I've been able to make, I shouldn't - and wouldn't, but it'd be nice if they were instead replaced with alternative options.

I'm not sure I'd want it, but I'm surprised they've not added icons similar to those in Dragon Age II/Inquisition to the dialogue options to denote the intent of the statement. I do find that sometimes the intent and the initial example of a reply aren't really the same sentiment.

My last 3 alts the only mods i used for myself went into mainhand/offhand, the rest went straight to companions.

With the outfit designer i made a character, set the look i decided for it in the designer, then used whatever greens/blues i looted and bought dirt cheap off the gtn.

You really dont need to use mods for yourself for anything aside weaoon/offhand until endgame. Loot gear works perfectly fine. Given that you no longer need to pay for skill training the few thousand credits you might spend every couple levels on green/blue gear off the gtn is negligable.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

spend all the many hundreds of basic coms you'll no doubt have on alts/mains to gear yourself and companions, just buy the purple chests and pop 10 or so, see what you get, post 'em over... whenever I get about 300 or 400 on a char, I see what levels I've got grinding and send them all 10 or so. Half decent way of turning them into cash too by selling the unneeded things, not great, but a side effect. Edited by leehambly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.