Best alignment for Non-Typical JK & JC Story: GRAY/NEUTRAL or DARK?

ChazDoit

I've been holding off on rolling the Jedi classes before because I wanted them to be Togruta, I resubbed about 2 months ago and now that the new race is about to be released I need advice on what alignment (That is NOT light) fits best for JK and JC.

In SW and SI stories, the NPCs sometimes acknowledge your Gray/Neutral alignment, by calling "unknowable" or "inscrutable" are there similar references in the JK or JC story?

My idea is to play a non-typical Jedi, and I really like the idea of being either gray or dark.

Pls try to avoid spoilers, I've already heard how these stories end, but I have little idea of the journey they took to get there =)

Thanks all!

I've been holding off on rolling the Jedi classes before because I wanted them to be Togruta, I resubbed about 2 months ago and now that the new race is about to be released I need advice on what alignment (That is NOT light) fits best for JK and JC.

In SW and SI stories, the NPCs sometimes acknowledge your Gray/Neutral alignment, by calling "unknowable" or "inscrutable" are there similar references in the JK or JC story?

My idea is to play a non-typical Jedi, and I really like the idea of being either gray or dark.

Pls try to avoid spoilers, I've already heard how these stories end, but I have little idea of the journey they took to get there =)

Thanks all!

A Dark Jedi is very much an arrogant, brash individual who is more concerned with his own glory, at least on the Knight storyline. So if you want to be a representative of the Jedi as they were in the prequels (sure, Anakin was arrogant but I think the only ones who weren't are Obi-Wan and Yoda, and even Yoda realized he was no match for the Sith), go for Dark.

A mixture of Light and Dark (Gray) would probably make more sense as a 'non-typical' Jedi. Example: romance options, deciding not to try and talk down Sith, etc. as DS choices would probably be good. But deciding to let innocents die in favor of retrieving a rare crystal (DS Choice on Taris for the JK where you can either save a colony about to fall under attack or retrieve rare orange lightsaber crystal) would be less of a 'non-typical Jedi' and more of a 'borderline narcissistic psycho whose only difference with the DS Sith Warrior is alignment'.

A Dark Jedi is very much an arrogant, brash individual who is more concerned with his own glory, at least on the Knight storyline. So if you want to be a representative of the Jedi as they were in the prequels (sure, Anakin was arrogant but I think the only ones who weren't are Obi-Wan and Yoda, and even Yoda realized he was no match for the Sith), go for Dark.

A mixture of Light and Dark (Gray) would probably make more sense as a 'non-typical' Jedi. Example: romance options, deciding not to try and talk down Sith, etc. as DS choices would probably be good. But deciding to let innocents die in favor of retrieving a rare crystal (DS Choice on Taris for the JK where you can either save a colony about to fall under attack or retrieve rare orange lightsaber crystal) would be less of a 'non-typical Jedi' and more of a 'borderline narcissistic psycho whose only difference with the DS Sith Warrior is alignment'.

Well for Gray Jedi I was thinking someone along the lines of Qui-Gon Jin, who defies the Jedi Council, uses the force questionably but for the greater good, like rigging bets in his favor or mind tricking the Gungan King, however is is still very much one of the good guy.

Then is the Dark Jedi, Anakin-style who is arrogant and just goes too far and ends up falling.

Which one plays better for the JK and JC stories?

Well for Gray Jedi I was thinking someone along the lines of Qui-Gon Jin, who defies the Jedi Council, uses the force questionably but for the greater good, like rigging bets in his favor or mind tricking the Gungan King, however is is still very much one of the good guy.

Then is the Dark Jedi, Anakin-style who is arrogant and just goes too far and ends up falling.

Which one plays better for the JK and JC stories?

I haven't played the Consular story to its entirety quite yet, but based on what I've seen and heard from others I would say that the Consular would suit a Qui-Gon style of doing things (I use Force Persuade a lot as a Consular), while the Jedi Knight is definitely suited to a Dark Jedi, particularly as things escalate.

I haven't played the Consular story to its entirety quite yet, but based on what I've seen and heard from others I would say that the Consular would suit a Qui-Gon style of doing things (I use Force Persuade a lot as a Consular), while the Jedi Knight is definitely suited to a Dark Jedi, particularly as things escalate.

Maybe I'll roll Gray Consular and Dark Jedi, I enjoyed play a Light Side SI and defying all established stereotypes, I kinda wanna do the same with the Jedi =P

If playing non-typical, play mixed. A heavily Dark JK/JC is not plausible with how high-profile you are, and is less magnificent bastard and more a dysfunctional psychopath.

Light Sith works because the "light" is more Lawful Evil than good a lot of the time and if you are a truly good character, it's set up as a secret you hide behind the Lawful Evil. "Because I wanted to, shut your mouth" is totally valid Sith logic - which is why it doesn't work for a Jedi justifying a Dark action to other (Light) Jedi.

Edited by Canareth

If playing non-typical, play mixed. A heavily Dark JK/JC is not plausible with how high-profile you are, and is less magnificent bastard and more a dysfunctional psychopath.

Light Sith works because the "light" is more Lawful Evil than good a lot of the time and if you are a truly good character, it's set up as a secret you hide behind the Lawful Evil. "Because I wanted to, shut your mouth" is totally valid Sith logic - which is why it doesn't work for a Jedi justifying a Dark action to other (Light) Jedi.

Do NPCs make references to your neutral alignment if you decide to go that way in the JK JC stories?

Personally, I am a huge fan of grey/barely LS JK. It added a bit more flare to the story.

As for the JC, darkside all the way. I had an absolute blasted playing DS. The dialog was more interesting/entertaining, and the story was better in my opinion.

The only part I really dislike about grey/dark side is....

It really isn't acknowledge by the Council except for not being granted "Master" at the end.

I agree the JC is quite high profile, but even with the way the JK storyline plays out, the JK seems more like a shadow operative for the Council and Republic, with only a handful knowing all the details, while the JC's story and their choices are heavily watched by the Council, the Senate, and even the Chancellor.

I'd just form a personality and roleplay it, seeing where it ends up going rather than going all dark, all light, or consciously neutral. My JK for instance I came up with a backstory for him that he was an imperial slave on Korriban for 10 years before eventually being rescued (along with other slaves) so while he's good and kind to innocents, he has zero mercy for sith, he'll go out of his way to kill them and will never accept a surrender or deals etc...

Do NPCs make references to your neutral alignment if you decide to go that way in the JK JC stories?

Since no one is answering your question and just talking about themselves I'll answer.

Compared to the Sith storylines, the jedi ones barely notice your alignment change. People will occasionally note your aggression but most will not bat an eyelash when you execute your opponents. Indeed, for the JK no one really notices until the very end, and there are some real inconsistencies, (a character says you are touched by darkness even though you may he light V for instance )

Consular is interesting in that you can slaughter many jedi similar to how Sith characters fight many other Sith, but again little notice of your dark tendencies compared to the Sith side. Also note that Consular makes much more sense light side, particularly you are completely locked out of the 'good' ending as a dark side character, but as you execute the final boss your character will still hold his head in his hands as though expressing regret.

Basically the opposite alignments are not even close to being as well done. This is mostly because dark =killing and thus closing story branches and removing characters. While light Is lack of killing and thus characters pop up later.

Thus in case of the Sith being light actually adds to the story. While being Jedi dark actually detracts from it.

Played all class stories multiple times w alignments. If you're against the grain and want the game to respond (as opposed to just doing it in your head like most posters here) then dark jedi stories will likely dissappoint you.

Consular in particular makes very little sense if you are dark side prior to act 2.

• Like 1

Since no one is answering your question and just talking about themselves I'll answer.

Compared to the Sith storylines, the jedi ones barely notice your alignment change. People will occasionally note your aggression but most will not bat an eyelash when you execute your opponents. Indeed, for the JK no one really notices until the very end, and there are some real inconsistencies, (a character says you are touched by darkness even though you may he light V for instance )

Consular is interesting in that you can slaughter many jedi similar to how Sith characters fight many other Sith, but again little notice of your dark tendencies compared to the Sith side. Also note that Consular makes much more sense light side, particularly you are completely locked out of the 'good' ending as a dark side character, but as you execute the final boss your character will still hold his head in his hands as though expressing regret.

Basically the opposite alignments are not even close to being as well done. This is mostly because dark =killing and thus closing story branches and removing characters. While light Is lack of killing and thus characters pop up later.

Thus in case of the Sith being light actually adds to the story. While being Jedi dark actually detracts from it.

Played all class stories multiple times w alignments. If you're against the grain and want the game to respond (as opposed to just doing it in your head like most posters here) then dark jedi stories will likely dissappoint you.

Consular in particular makes very little sense if you are dark side prior to act 2.

Thanks for the reply and all the others that contributed, I guess I'll play them Neutral/Light since I don't want to get locked out of possible endings.

For the JC at least, yes, but only to a small degree. One thing Satele says to you at the end is different for light, neutral and dark. (Story wise it should have further consequences, but because the class story end there we don't see them.)

In case you don't mind story spoilers, here it is:

Light Side: Because of your devotion to the light, they make you a Jedi council member.

Neutral: You possess the rare gift of true balance, so they make you a council member.

Dark Side: They acknowledge your contribution to the war and make you the council's military adviser.

JC doesn't make sense to be dark in the first chapter, after that it becomes a bit less of an issue.

JK, while there are some DS choices that are just way to far out there, to the point you wonder how the other jedi haven't noticed, it's much easier to be dark side.

JC doesn't make sense to be dark in the first chapter, after that it becomes a bit less of an issue.

JK, while there are some DS choices that are just way to far out there, to the point you wonder how the other jedi haven't noticed, it's much easier to be dark side.

I haven't played Jedi Knight because I'm waiting to roll a Togruta (once I finish my Inquisitor), but I can speak for the Consular.

The whole theme of the first chapter is the Consular establishing herself as someone who has a special potential that nobody else will ever get their hands on, then of course, it effectively makes her a savior. If you go Dark Side throughout the first chapter, you basically just looked at the Courscant prologue and said, "LOL, I could have just skipped Courscant and nothing would have changed." Chapter one makes the most sense as Light Side because you're not invalidating the theme of being this new savior of the galaxy. As Dark side, you become something anyone else could have been-- a common assassin.

Now for chapter two, that's where I say that our characters begin to sort of "grow up," if you will, they start facing more difficult situations and the story just gets way better for almost every single class. Here, you really can start seeing more than one path in your playstyle, maybe your character is extremely loyal to the Republic from his/her creation, well, that will net you some Dark Side points for sure. Maybe your character morphs into someone who couldn't take all the atrocities you face on some planets in chapter two and they begin to grow bitter and more vengeful. Perhaps it's the opposite, maybe your character used to be a bit of a wild card and then began to mature as time went on, that will take you on a Light Side streak. Maybe she doesn't believe the Jedi are right all the time, maybe she's a justice dealer, a wise master at heart, compassionate, passionate, etc..

The Jedi Consular, in my humble opinion, has one of the best stories in the game post chapter one. If I were you, I'd try playing him or her leaning towards neutrality by giving him or her a set personality, that way you don't automatically expect your next alignment decision and you actually have a hard time choosing between the lines. The Agent and Warrior stories allow for this a whole lot, that's why I'll rate them at the top of this game's storytelling.

I haven't played Jedi Knight because I'm waiting to roll a Togruta (once I finish my Inquisitor), but I can speak for the Consular.

The Jedi Consular, in my humble opinion, has one of the best stories in the game post chapter one. If I were you, I'd try playing him or her leaning towards neutrality by giving him or her a set personality, that way you don't automatically expect your next alignment decision and you actually have a hard time choosing between the lines. The Agent and Warrior stories allow for this a whole lot, that's why I'll rate them at the top of this game's storytelling.

Which is why lots of my characters are neutral or leaning towards the one side just slightly (1 or 2) and why my Consular told Satele "My views and the Jedi's don't always agree" :)

My Knight is on the dark side of neutral at the moment, just because she hates the Sith and hates the Empire. No, she doesn't clue in that this is dark side behavior, which I find quite amusing.

I loved that conversation on Quesh with the former Sith, when she says something like "just because I want to completely wipe out the Empire that does bad things doesn't make me evil". LOL

I prefer to play a Light/Gray Jedi, I think the best comparison to my liking is Qui-Gon Jinn. He is very light when it comes to morals, empathy and serving the less fortunate, but a lot of his methods would be considered gray like using Affect Mind a lot of times, and also his view of the rules within the Jedi order. The kind of Jedi I'd play would be light as well but would not agree with a lot of things the Jedi preach. A good example would be non attachment.

I prefer to play a Light/Gray Jedi, I think the best comparison to my liking is Qui-Gon Jinn. He is very light when it comes to morals, empathy and serving the less fortunate, but a lot of his methods would be considered gray like using Affect Mind a lot of times, and also his view of the rules within the Jedi order. The kind of Jedi I'd play would be light as well but would not agree with a lot of things the Jedi preach. A good example would be non attachment.

I would think, Satele abandoning her child would be a DS action, at least in TOR's version of what is DS and LS. :p

I would think, Satele abandoning her child would be a DS action, at least in TOR's version of what is DS and LS. :p

Yeah, when I first heard about that it was a big *** moment for me. That was when I realized that the Jedi really are evil hypocrites.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame Theron at all for hating the Jedi.

Yeah, when I first heard about that it was a big *** moment for me. That was when I realized that the Jedi really are evil hypocrites.

Theron doesn't "hate" the Jedi.

As for Satele she is supposed to be a model Jedi and for someone in her position especially it would be a mistake to have such a strong emotional attachment. I don't agree with the nonattachment rule but that's the reasoning. Also it's not like he grew up in a ghetto or someone fished him out of a dumpster, if I remember correctly he was raised by a Jedi Master who he still considers to be his "father".

They're not evil. They're just so overly cautious it's stupid. The point of the Jedi code is to try and keep those with force abilities tempers from flaring, emotions from getting so worked up, someone with powerful force abilities can just wipe out a lot of people.

For something Vader did, I don't know if I'd say killing the Senator was enough to make up for killing so many, but then from his point of view, he was likely at war with the Jedi now, so killing them may have just been casualties of war. For that, would depend on how you look at it, I guess, but we've seen him just murder people for mistakes, so there's no mistaking that. :p

Powerful force users go mad, things go to hell. :p Jedi think the only way to stop it is to forgo those attachments and keep inner peace. Obviously, we all know that doesn't work well.

Sith on the other hand say, if you can't survive our little outbursts, then you obviously didn't deserve to live. :p

Powerful force users go mad, things go to hell. :p Jedi think the only way to stop it is to forgo those attachments and keep inner peace. Obviously, we all know that doesn't work well.

There are plenty of cases where it did work well. I think Yoda is a great example. :) and Obi-Wan.