Coming back to SWToR. Need Laptop.

heinevilla

So basically I need to know, if this very standard laptop I'm looking at atm. will be able to run SWToR on descent settings.

Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i5 (4. Gen) 4210U /1.7GhZ (Max Turbo Speed 2.7GhZ)

RAM: 4GB DDR3L SDRAM, 1600MHz (Max 16GB)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Harddrive: 500gb Hybrid (8GB flash)

Cheers.

Well, you won't be happy. Technically, SWTOR will run on it. I ran the game on a similar Toshiba for a few months. Your graphics will need to be turned down as low as possible, and you will suffer from machine-caused lag.

However, don't let people tell you a laptop, per se, is no good for SWTOR. If you want a laptop, YOU WANT A LAPTOP! Stick to your guns! Take a look in PC Gamer magazine where there are tons of ads for reasonably priced machines. People will also tell you, "Well, they will over heat." Yes, that's possible if you have a good graphics card that even CAN over heat, but it's easily fixed with a fan setup. Best fan I've found is from Havit. Just google it. Less than $30.00 and cools a laptop right down to reasonable for sitting, you know, on your lap.

Well, you won't be happy. Technically, SWTOR will run on it. I ran the game on a similar Toshiba for a few months. Your graphics will need to be turned down as low as possible, and you will suffer from machine-caused lag.

However, don't let people tell you a laptop, per se, is no good for SWTOR. If you want a laptop, YOU WANT A LAPTOP! Stick to your guns! Take a look in PC Gamer magazine where there are tons of ads for reasonably priced machines. People will also tell you, "Well, they will over heat." Yes, that's possible if you have a good graphics card that even CAN over heat, but it's easily fixed with a fan setup. Best fan I've found is from Havit. Just google it. Less than $30.00 and cools a laptop right down to reasonable for sitting, you know, on your lap.

What do i lag? Should I aim for a better GPU? (Who shouldn't..) But i mean, i5 is alright, right? And if I replace the get another 4GB RAM stick, would it make a huge difference?

What do i lag? Should I aim for a better GPU? (Who shouldn't..) But i mean, i5 is alright, right? And if I replace the get another 4GB RAM stick, would it make a huge difference?

I have a better laptop then your speccs but I am still not happy with the gameplay. If you intend to play this game good go for a stationary computer, I have learned that laptops are unreliable when it comes to this game.

I doubt that anyone can say for sure that a laptop with more memory will work as you want it to, some think that 20 FPS is playable and some think it is horrible. I do wish you good luck though in finding a configuration that suits your needs :tran_smile:

I have a better laptop then your speccs but I am still not happy with the gameplay. If you intend to play this game good go for a stationary computer, I have learned that laptops are unreliable when it comes to this game.

I doubt that anyone can say for sure that a laptop with more memory will work as you want it to, some think that 20 FPS is playable and some think it is horrible. I do wish you good luck though in finding a configuration that suits your needs :tran_smile:

Unfortunetly a stationary computer isn't an option. It has to be a laptop, and like everyone else I want the best for a low price! :-)

But I'll ask again... What should I go for? How are your specs Icestar?

Unfortunetly a stationary computer isn't an option. It has to be a laptop, and like everyone else I want the best for a low price! :-)

But I'll ask again... What should I go for? How are your specs Icestar?

It is a Asus gaming laptop with a I7 processor and 16 gigs of ram, it is a excellent laptop but when it comes to this game it is not as good for some reason.

I wish I had more advice but when it comes to laptops and this game I am mostly confused

It is a Asus gaming laptop with a I7 processor and 16 gigs of ram, it is a excellent laptop but when it comes to this game it is not as good for some reason.

I wish I had more advice but when it comes to laptops and this game I am mostly confused

I seems rather suspicious.... Are there any official statement duo to bad gameplay on laptops? Or is it just randomly bad luck.

I seems rather suspicious.... Are there any official statement duo to bad gameplay on laptops? Or is it just randomly bad luck.

No there is not a official statement regarding laptops only feedback. Then again it all matters what settings you prefer to play with, I always enjoy this game at high settings.

There are so many things that makes a difference, the harddrive, the CPU, the graphics card and so on.

What setting do you expect to play with?

You can ask this question in the general forum aswell, there are some players that surely can help you with a more hardware dedicated question. I wish there were some kind of technical forum but there is not so ask away and see where it leads you.

No there is not a official statement regarding laptops only feedback. Then again it all matters what settings you prefer to play with, I always enjoy this game at high settings.

There are so many things that makes a difference, the harddrive, the CPU, the graphics card and so on.

What setting do you expect to play with?

You can ask this question in the general forum aswell, there are some players that surely can help you with a more hardware dedicated question. I wish there were some kind of technical forum but there is not so ask away and see where it leads you.

I do not expect to play on the very best settings. If we rate it from 1-100, with 100 being max, I would be happy with around 55-70, as long as It won't be laggy.

Minimum System Requirements

In order to play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, your computer must first meet the minimum system requirements that are required to run the game. To give you a better understanding of what these requirements are, we’ve listed them below.

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB

NOTE: 2GB if your computer uses on-board graphics processing.

Windows Vista/Windows 7: 2GB

Video Card:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM:

8X or better

These are the official lowest requirements from Swtor.com. But are these the requirements for just getting in to the game and running around on ULTRA low settings and not doing anything? Or is it actually playable with these requirements.

Yea, cuz gaming laptops can make you lap very warm. :p Which may or may not be a bad thing depending on where you are in the world. :) I'd say get one with slightly higher specs if your budget will allow for it. For gaming, I'd go for something that had no less than 8 gigs of ram and had a better graphics card in it.

Something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-gray/7500349.p?id=1219679623926&skuId=7500349 for example. Which has a better graphics card.

I do not expect to play on the very best settings. If we rate it from 1-100, with 100 being max, I would be happy with around 55-70, as long as It won't be laggy.

Then you are ok with medium settings with perhaps one or two settings a little higher. I hope you find a hardware expert that can give you a proper answer before you buy it.

Perhaps a friend of yours got a laptop that you can install SWTOR on and see how it works?

Edited by Icestar

Then you are ok with medium settings with perhaps one or two settings a little higher. I hope you find a hardware expert that can give you a proper answer before you buy it.

Perhaps a friend of yours got a laptop that you can install SWTOR on and see how it works?

I found a new laptop with these specs:

CPU - i7-3610QM

GPU - Geforce 650GT 2GB GDDR5

RAM - 8GB 1600 mhz

Netkort - Killer Wireless

Windows 7 Premium

How do you see my chances with this? :-)

And yeah, great idea with the install on a friends laptop, I will definitely abuse 1 or 2 of my friends :D

Edited by heinevilla

CPU - i7-3610QM

RAM - 8GB 1600 mhz

Netkort - Killer Wireless

Windows 7 Premium

How do you see my chances with this? :-)

And yeah, great idea with the install on a friends laptop, I will definitely abuse 1 or 2 of my friends :D

That looks way better and best of luck with the game on your friends laptops :tran_cool:

Edited by Icestar

It depends on what you want to do in the game. Most medium-spec laptop is enough for casual play, but if you're planning to actively raid or PVP you might need something more. This is what I use at the moment with upgraded 16 GB RAM. Runs Ultra, but will have to downgrade to Very High/High/Medium in raid or Warzone. Stutters a bit in the Yavin World Boss, but that many players crammed in the most laggy area in the game wrecks havoc even in high end computers (or at least that's what guild mate with high end PC told me).

CPU - i7-3610QM

RAM - 8GB 1600 mhz

This i7 CPU and discrete GPU are much better than the i5 with Intel 4400 graphics. 8Gigs of RAM is, of course, better than 4 Gigs.

This should play SWTOR reasonably well. It will, of course, lag in Ops and other busy areas, but that is due to SWTOR (and most MMOs) being CPU bound in those conditions and mobile CPUs just don't have the oomph of desktop CPU. (Plus, even high-end desktop CPUs will have fps drops in those areas.)

Edited by JediQuaker

This i7 CPU and discrete GPU are much better than the i5 with Intel 4400 graphics. 8Gigs of RAM is, of course, better than 4 Gigs.

This should play SWTOR reasonably well. It will, of course, lag in Ops and other busy areas, but that is due to SWTOR (and most MMOs) being CPU bound in those conditions and mobile CPUs just don't have the oomph of desktop CPU. (Plus, even high-end desktop CPUs will have fps drops in those areas.)

I've made a decision... I have to save up some more money for the laptop, so I can get something I won't regret after 1 week of gaming.. So the spec I'm going for now is:

Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Dual Core processor (3 MB cache, 2,70 GHz)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M med 2 GB GDDR5

8 GB Dual Channel DDR3L på 1600 MHz (2 x 4 GB)

500 GB SATA hybridharddisk (5.400 omdr./min) med 8 GB cache

And if im patient enough I'll get; Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Dual Core processor (4 MB cache, op til 3,00 GHz) instead :-D

I run the Asus one on near full settings and get no lag, when I went to an msi I had to turn stuff down. However I did see an Asus republic of gamers laptop with 24gigs of ram? 28? It was 20 something.....anyway I only remember it had a ridiculous amount of RAM for a laptop but it cost like 2700 up here in Canada.........it was glorious.

I've made a decision... I have to save up some more money for the laptop, so I can get something I won't regret after 1 week of gaming.. So the spec I'm going for now is:

And if im patient enough I'll get; Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Dual Core processor (4 MB cache, op til 3,00 GHz) instead :-D

Thatone looks much better, I hope you upgrade with the I7 CPU, it can help alot in this game.

Best of luck :tran_grin:

This is a pretty good setup for a budget gaming laptop. If your primary goal is to play SWTOR it is definitely worth saving up for the I7

This is a pretty good setup for a budget gaming laptop. If your primary goal is to play SWTOR it is definitely worth saving up for the I7

He only needed 50-70 out ot 100 performance of what the laptop can hancle. It is a good think to give them a little breething room.

Edited by Icestar

He only needed 50-70 out ot 100 performance of what the laptop can hancle. It is a good think to give them a little breething room.

Im counting on getting the i7, but I might can't handle myself when I get the money :-D hehe.

But yeah, it should be solid enough to run the game very smoothly!

Thanks for the inputs ;)

Im counting on getting the i7, but I might can't handle myself when I get the money :-D hehe.

But yeah, it should be solid enough to run the game very smoothly!

Thanks for the inputs ;)

This sounds awesome, I hope you find a good laptop you are happy with :tran_smile:

These are the official lowest requirements from Swtor.com. But are these the requirements for just getting in to the game and running around on ULTRA low settings and not doing anything? Or is it actually playable with these requirements.

Like all other software, the "minimum system requirements" are NEVER good enough. they are the absolute bare minimum software will run. For example: did you know that windows 7 will run on:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Would you want to run windows 7 on a 1GHz CPU with 1GB RAM and 16GB of HD space? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!.

Start at the "recommended" specs and go up from there.

OP, the specs are OK EXCEPT for RAM. double the RAM to 8GB and you will be better off. Better yet if you can get to 16GB RAM you'll be set.

The fact of the matter is that SWTOR is a CPU (NOT GPU) intensive program. And the more that can be loaded into RAM (which means more RAM) the better it will perform.