The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Fandom has Spoken, and it Wants a Gritty Reboot

It is a strange day on the internet today. Assumptions run wild, and already sky-high expectations are made even higher. Trolls run rampant and, strangely, everyone takes them seriously. One thing I have observed through all the shouting is the notion that if you are an adult, you should only watch R rated movies and play M rated games; or, as I put it: If it's not gritty, it's kiddy. This poses a problem for Star Wars, as it has usually been family oriented. The Disney buyout has left the older fans yelling "the end is niiiiiigh!". After all, Disney is only for kids, right? Yeah, Disney never produces or even licenses anything that would not be rated G, right? I heard all their movies are animated musicals. Sarcasm aside, this is what some of the older fans seem to have in their brains. The way their logic goes, if a product is not geared exclusively toward kids, then it should be only suitable for adults.

Perhaps the prequels (read: Jar Jar) left a bad taste in their mouth, and now they are assuming that since Disney only makes G rated movies (which is not at all true), Star Wars will be all of a sudden filled with singing pink princesses and rainbow ponies. The problem is, that, to these people anything less than an R rating would be too "kiddish".

This attitude is particularly prevalent in gamers, to the point where T rated games are either considered kiddish or "immature". This has led to a culture of snobbery, which game companies then give into in order to make money. No less than six content descriptors, please. These people remind me of that whole "PC master race" thing, where the premise is, basically, that console games don't require a fancy machine to play and are therefore inferior. When you get down to it though, console graphics really aren't that bad, but saying you have a PS4 doesn't sound as cool as listing a bunch of $500 parts. This type of snobbery has led to an age where people don't really care about how good the movies they watch or the games they play are, as long as they are edgy enough, or have good enough graphics. It has gotten to the point where people will not play T rated games, as they are obviously geared toward kids and therefore garbage. They are either The Witcher, or they are Hello Kitty. The main thing I wanted to address here though, is that these notions have been seeping into the Star Wars fandom as of late, especially where SWTOR is concerned.

I have heard all the nerds and fanboys whining over Rebels, as they believe it is the sign of bad things to come for the franchise. They have whined over SWTOR, they have whined over the new movies, and they have whined over Battlefront. One thing many of these whiners have in common is the desire for a gritty reboot. Every time SWTOR blacks out an NPC getting killed, the fanboys are there to scream "Disney is trying to kiddify Star Wars!!!!11!!one!!1". They often cite 1313 being canceled, even though they know nothing about why. There is also the assumption held by most fans that the buyout agreement contained terms pertaining to the content of new material, such as barring M rated Star Wars games from being made. The truth is, the agreement contains no such terms. But then if so, why does Star Wars not follow the rest of the entertainment industry and add artificial grittiness to new Star Wars material?

The answer here, of course, is punditry. Star Wars has been followed by pundits for a while now. Back when the special editions first came out, the pundits were there to analyze every second of them. Rumor has it that the whole "who shot first" argument came as a result of George Lucas trying not to incur the wrath of anti-gun pundits, who would likely have tried to get it rated higher. When the prequels came out, yes, the pundits were there too to rant and rave about every minute detail. The whole "Jar Jar is racist" argument came as a result of proto-SJWs looking to cause an outrage. When Episode 3 came out, the pundits were there to complain about the rating. When the Clone Wars TV show started, the pundits whined about the violence. With the Disney buyout, there were both doomsayers and people who said the buyout would improve the franchise. A few months later, there was the whole "gay planet" thing. The point is, is that Star Wars is scrutinized VERY heavily by pundits on both sides. This has made the filmmakers/developers/writers scared to even try anything new. And it doesn't even stop at the "big issues" either; time travel, bizarre force stuff, huge retcons, have all been taboo for fear of butthurt geeks raiding their websites and starting petitions to have them sued. Now, I am not saying that Star Wars should go in the gritty direction. I most certainly do NOT want it to go the direction of many franchises now, though it does seem kind of stupid that the origins and nature of the Force have never been revealed yet just because a few basement dwellers and culture snobs want it to be mysterious (the whole midichlorian thing is proof that these people care too much about a fictional universe). I am just saying that the agreement really contains no terms about content.

We are getting Revenant in 2021, though, not really over the top, probably on the level of other Bioware games.

Edited by fidothegran
paragraphs

Oh my god....no indentation makes this really hard to read.

Interesting thoughts, though. There have been sci-fi reboots that weren't exactly like that. Take the new Star Trek films and also Man of Steel. I enjoyed these movies very much and they didn't have lots of blood and gore and the like.

I will agree though that some people analyze things way too much. I saw some things people were talking about when the new Episode 7 trailer came out. They were saying things like:

The Sith with the crossguard lightsaber must be more of a brute force kind of guy because of the crossguard, because it would be really hard to move the lightsaber around like a force user with the crossguard.

or like this:

The Sith's lightsaber blade doesn't look anything like the ones you saw in the previous movies. It looks very crude so this must be indicative of someone not at all trained in constructing a lightsaber.

I think both of these are taken way too far and have no merit. The crossguard is just there....and the lightsaber blade looks like that because it's a cooler looking special effect than what was in the previous movies.

Opinion: when people look at little things like this and draw conclusions from them, I think it's completely pointless, counterproductive, and ultimately a waste of time. And honestly...I think it shows a lack of creative intuition in regards to the people who make such analyses.

It is a strange day on the internet today. Assumptions run wild, and already sky-high expectations are made even higher. Trolls run rampant and, strangely, everyone takes them seriously. One thing I have observed through all the shouting is the notion that if you are an adult, you should only watch R rated movies and play M rated games; or, as I put it: If it's not gritty, it's kiddy. This poses a problem for Star Wars, as it has usually been family oriented. The Disney buyout has left the older fans yelling "the end is niiiiiigh!". After all, Disney is only for kids, right? Yeah, Disney never produces or even licenses anything that would not be rated G, right? I heard all their movies are animated musicals. Sarcasm aside, this is what some of the older fans seem to have in their brains. The way their logic goes, if a product is not geared exclusively toward kids, then it should be only suitable for adults. Perhaps the prequels (read: Jar Jar) left a bad taste in their mouth, and now they are assuming that since Disney only makes G rated movies (which is not at all true), Star Wars will be all of a sudden filled with singing pink princesses and rainbow ponies. The problem is, that, to these people anything less than an R rating would be too "kiddish". This attitude is particularly prevalent in gamers, to the point where T rated games are either considered kiddish or "immature". This has led to a culture of snobbery, which game companies then give into in order to make money. No less than six content descriptors, please. These people remind me of that whole "PC master race" thing, where the premise is, basically, that console games don't require a fancy machine to play and are therefore inferior. When you get down to it though, console graphics really aren't that bad, but saying you have a PS4 doesn't sound as cool as listing a bunch of $500 parts. This type of snobbery has led to an age where people don't really care about how good the movies they watch or the games they play are, as long as they are edgy enough, or have good enough graphics. It has gotten to the point where people will not play T rated games, as they are obviously geared toward kids and therefore garbage. They are either The Witcher, or they are Hello Kitty. The main thing I wanted to address here though, is that these notions have been seeping into the Star Wars fandom as of late, especially where SWTOR is concerned. I have heard all the nerds and fanboys whining over Rebels, as they believe it is the sign of bad things to come for the franchise. They have whined over SWTOR, they have whined over the new movies, and they have whined over Battlefront. One thing many of these whiners have in common is the desire for a gritty reboot. Every time SWTOR blacks out an NPC getting killed, the fanboys are there to scream "Disney is trying to kiddify Star Wars!!!!11!!one!!1". They often cite 1313 being canceled, even though they know nothing about why. There is also the assumption held by most fans that the buyout agreement contained terms pertaining to the content of new material, such as barring M rated Star Wars games from being made. The truth is, the agreement contains no such terms. But then if so, why does Star Wars not follow the rest of the entertainment industry and add artificial grittiness to new Star Wars material? The answer here, of course, is punditry. Star Wars has been followed by pundits for a while now. Back when the special editions first came out, the pundits were there to analyze every second of them. Rumor has it that the whole "who shot first" argument came as a result of George Lucas trying not to incur the wrath of anti-gun pundits, who would likely have tried to get it rated higher. When the prequels came out, yes, the pundits were there too to rant and rave about every minute detail. The whole "Jar Jar is racist" argument came as a result of proto-SJWs looking to cause an outrage. When Episode 3 came out, the pundits were there to complain about the rating. When the Clone Wars TV show started, the pundits whined about the violence. With the Disney buyout, there were both doomsayers and people who said the buyout would improve the franchise. A few months later, there was the whole "gay planet" thing. The point is, is that Star Wars is scrutinized VERY heavily by pundits on both sides. This has made the filmmakers/developers/writers scared to even try anything new. And it doesn't even stop at the "big issues" either; time travel, bizarre force stuff, huge retcons, have all been taboo for fear of butthurt geeks raiding their websites and starting petitions to have them sued. Now, I am not saying that Star Wars should go in the gritty direction. I most certainly do NOT want it to go the direction of many franchises now, though it does seem kind of stupid that the origins and nature of the Force have never been revealed yet just because a few basement dwellers and culture snobs want it to be mysterious (the whole midichlorian thing is proof that these people care too much about a fictional universe). I am just saying that the agreement really contains no terms about content. We are getting Revenant in 2021, though, not really over the top, probably on the level of other Bioware games.

PARAGRAPHS, MOTHERF****R! DO YOU USE THEM?!?!

Referencing Sam Jackson just seemed appropriate here.

When Fido speaks for a majority, it's safe to assume it's himself (or a loud minority).

This is SWTOR forum lesson 101.

Note: PARAGRAPHS!

Also it seems I can't write God and Damn it together, without it being auto changed to "gosh darn it" by the system.

Stop messing with my words you tools!

Edited by Miyran

Oh my god....no indentation makes this really hard to read.

Interesting thoughts, though. There have been sci-fi reboots that weren't exactly like that. Take the new Star Trek films and also Man of Steel.

Star trek reboot in particular was however terrible. Man of Steel wasn't really great either.

Im not saying Star trek reboot was terrible because it wasn't a gritty reboot, but because it peed on basic principles that original star trek was based on. Such as trying to find a peaceful solution to things, and solving problems with smarts rather than brute strength. (Not to mention numerous absurdities that the movie presented us with, such as building Enterprise on earth rather than orbit.)

Opinion: when people look at little things like this and draw conclusions from them, I think it's completely pointless, counterproductive, and ultimately a waste of time. And honestly...I think it shows a lack of creative intuition in regards to the people who make such analyses.

True.

Edited by Karkais

Didn't read because unreadable but pretty sure it doesn't represent the fandom at all, not even a majority or a large part.

By the way, what were you talking about, what reboot de you want ? Even the title is unclear then useless.

Didn't read because unreadable but pretty sure it doesn't represent the fandom at all, not even a majority or a large part.

By the way, what were you talking about, what reboot de you want ? Even the title is unclear then useless.

If you can read it and unlock its meaning, dark secrets will be yours!

Sorry about the wall of text. A lot of you have the misconception that I am the one who wants a gritty reboot. That is NOT what I was trying to say. I actually do not want that, but neither do I want SWTOR to be turned into Hello Kitty in space.

Tl;dr: The fandom, filled with edginess snobs, wants a gritty reboot. The reason Disney doesn't want to do that has nothing to do with the license agreement. Rather, they are afraid that pundits will rant about it to outrage people, which then loses them money.

Star trek reboot in particular was however terrible. Man of Steel wasn't really great either.

Im not saying Star trek reboot was terrible because it wasn't a gritty reboot, but because it peed on basic principles that original star trek was based on. Such as trying to find a peaceful solution to things, and solving problems with smarts rather than brute strength. (Not to mention numerous absurdities that the movie presented us with, such as building Enterprise on earth rather than orbit.)

I don't know about the whole peed on principles. I mean Khan was pretty merciless and it was pretty much understood that they had to get rid of him. And Christopher Llyod (forget his character name, the Klingon commander from ST3) and his crew were taken care of pretty decidedly. Soren from Generations wasn't exactly arrested either.

The ST could've been better (especially the second one, Into Darkness....that Khan thing was just ridiculous IMO) but overall I enjoyed the film......and I thought Man of Steel was absolutely brilliant, actually. I've seen it several times since.

What I CAN agree with you on is what you said about the Enterprise being built on a *********** planet......

*facepalm*

It is a strange day on the internet today. Assumptions run wild, and already sky-high expectations are made even higher. Trolls run rampant and, strangely, everyone takes them seriously.

We are getting Revenant in 2021, though, not really over the top, probably on the level of other Bioware games.

I assume your being deliberately ironic. :rolleyes:

Tl;dr: The fandom, filled with edginess snobs, wants a gritty reboot. The reason Disney doesn't want to do that has nothing to do with the license agreement. Rather, they are afraid that pundits will rant about it to outrage people, which then loses them money.

If you are talking about the SW movies, then fine, whatever, I'm no longer paying attention to them anyway. They are dead to me. The next SW movie will be what it will be in any case, since it has already entered post-production.

Personally I prefer things grittier and more believable, but I also have appreciation for light-hearted movies that are well-made. Comedy is after all one of the most challenging forms of moviemaking. Its really difficult to get it right.