The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tactics vs Plasmatech survivability question

Culhaven

This is a pvp question.

First, I have not played my VG in a very long time, so I have little first hand experience about what I am asking. I have been reading alot about the class though.

I keep seeing that Tactics has better defencive cd's or that Plasmatech is way more squishy, but I fail to see why.

The differences I see are:

TACTICS

30% less aoe damage and damage while stunned

30% greater defence chance for 6 sec on Sonic Round use

Reactive Shield cd reduced 3 sec every 1.5 secs while being attacked

20% chance to absorb a low amount of damage once every 10 secs (is this only while RS is active?)

PLASMATECH

15% less dot damage all the time

5% increase in Internal/Elemental damage reduction

30% damage reduction while Adrenaline Rush is active

60 sec reduction on Adrenaline Rush cd

So, they are quite different, but what makes Tactics cd's so superior in pvp?

Edited by Culhaven

This is a pvp question.

First, I have not played my VG in a very long time, so I have little first hand experience about what I am asking. I have been reading alot about the class though.

I keep seeing that Tactics has better defencive cd's or that Plasmatech is way more squishy, but I fail to see why.

The differences I see are:

TACTICS

30% less aoe damage and damage while stunned

30% greater defence chance for 6 sec on Sonic Round use

Reactive Shield cd reduced 3 sec every 1.5 secs while being attacked

20% chance to absorb a low amount of damage once every 10 secs (is this only while RS is active?)

PLASMATECH

15% less dot damage all the time

5% increase in Internal/Elemental damage reduction

30% damage reduction while Adrenaline Rush is active

60 sec reduction on Adrenaline Rush cd

The main reason is because Adrenaline Rush got nerfed to have a flat 2m CD instead of it's "reactive" CD. Originally Plasmatech had a passive that made Adrenaline Rush's CD get reduced by 3s every time you got attacked on a 1s ICD, which made it one of the more powerful CD's in the game. But now, with the flat 2m CD, it's not as good. Also they can use Shield Cannon to get a free 35% HP over a few seconds. Compared to Plasmatech's 20%.

Uptime on CDs and better [passives. Having reactive shield up more is huge and Sonic Defense can (with RNG) be the most effective Trooper DcD on any of the specs.

Plasmatech's issue is that it's only major Dcd is in Adrenaline Rush, which is problematic because without a healer power healing you, you will probably die the moment AR ends.

The Reflexive Shield perk is a huge help; Reactive Shield is a very manly DCD and having it up helps a lot against sustained damage. The Energy Redoubt absorption (which is active all the time, not just during Reactive Shield) also adds up if you're taking frequent hits. This ability to withstand getting hit a lot (as in, lots of hits over time rather than a single big spike) also lets you deal with cleaves and other melee-unfriendly AoEs better, giving the Reflective Armor and Electro Shield utilities some extra use.