The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

iniCopier: copy local settings across characters automatically

CaliOrion

Hey kids, I wrote another little piece of code a couple of you might be interested in; this one's for the altoholics out there. It copies the contents of a master *_PlayerGUIState.ini file into the body of the *_PlayerGUIState.ini files for each of your other characters. It does absolutely NOTHING that you couldn't easily do by hand, it just speeds up and automates the process of control-a control-v alt-f4ing every file in your settings directory for anyone else who's ever opened that thing up and gone "How the hell did I end up with 30 characters?"

For those who don't know, *_PlayerGUIState.ini include your chat tabs, channels, and color information; which UI profile you have loaded; and with a minimal amount of GUI options. This is NOT some magic cure that allows you to copy over your hotkeys, keybindings, or any of the other stuff that absolutely every MMO except SWTOR allows you to import/export. I cannot fix developer apathy using java, sorry.

Here's the .zip

If you want to check out some of my work that's actually useful to more than .05% of the playerbase, check the signature link!

Right.....I am going to download a zip file from a stranger on the internet.....because they said it was "safe".

OK, sign me up.

A wise perspective, if sarcastically stated. :). However, there are other precautions that you can take:

1. Download but do not open the .zip.*

2. Specifically scan the .zip with the antimalware tool of your choice.

3. Repeat 2. with as many different such tools as you wish.

Should the .zip pass 2. and 3., it is much more likely to be safe.

*If you wait about a week between 1. and 2., the definitions for the various tools will have caught up with any 'unknown surprises" as of the date of the download of the .zip, which would increase confidence in the safety of the .zip should it pass all scans.

So, if what is advertised is sufficiently interesting, it can be investigated with a higher level of safety.

Regarding "safe" files from the internet: the source code is included (as it is with everything I release,) and a lot of people have been using my other toys for a long time without issues and they trust me (or don't care about their data) enough to run my compiled executables.

Regarding how hard it is to do this manually: Did you not read my post? Literally half of my post was me addressing the fact that this is only of interest to the tiny population of other people who are both super lazy and addicted to making alts.

If you don't want to use it or don't trust it, that's FINE. Close the thread and get on with your life. I mean, I guess I'm happy you guys are bumping it, even it it's to cry about a thing that in no way affects you, but...

:rolleyes:

Oh I don't mind, I'm just saying it's not exactly hard to manually rename them :p

And in how far is your information worth anything? I mean, why did you take the time to post? Especially since he addressed it himself. He wrote a tool to make things easier for an estimated .05 % of the player population and you complain about it. Why?

And in how far is your information worth anything? I mean, why did you take the time to post? Especially since he addressed it himself. He wrote a tool to make things easier for an estimated .05 % of the player population and you complain about it. Why?

Am I complaining about him doing this?

So far, all I've said is that it's not really hard to do manually.