Hk-51

Strive-US

That remark about HK being useless below level 50 must be the most uninformed comment I've seen on these pages, and I've seen a few.

With the cheapest green blaster you can find, and all his gear ripped out, HK demolishes everything in his path at lower levels. I'd actually say he's probably more use on a lowbie than above level 50. He's a monster even with no gear. And once things start getting a bit rough for him: Cybertech!

I want to buy HK-51 for a Republic lowbie(got him on the Imperial side, now I want to listen to his convos on the Republic side) - do you get a set of moddable equipment for him? I'll replace the mods, it's not a problem, but I'm too lazy to craft droid armor, and I'm worried that I won't get the moddable equipment pieces for him(or that they'll have level 50 requirement).

I want to buy HK-51 for a Republic lowbie(got him on the Imperial side, now I want to listen to his convos on the Republic side) - do you get a set of moddable equipment for him? I'll replace the mods, it's not a problem, but I'm too lazy to craft droid armor, and I'm worried that I won't get the moddable equipment pieces for him(or that they'll have level 50 requirement).

IIRC he comes with his moddable equipment, but I have not idea whether the level requirement goes down again if you replace the mods with lower-level ones. Did buy him for my DS Marauder to avoid losing too much affection with Vette, though, and had no problems just running him with the droid parts you get as mission reward choices among the companion gear.

Pretty sure the shells themselves are also level 50 minimum.

They are. Even if you rip the mods, armoring and enhancements out the shell stays at lvl 50.

Fortunately the blue parts are pretty good and there are moddable shells you can get via cybertech and/or basic comms.

I vendor most of his gear and maybe keep the scoped assassinator for when I get to lvl 50 since it looks neat. Then I use my cybertech alt to create the droid parts as needed. As you level, moddable versions of various droid parts become available and by lvl 30 all his armor slots can have moddable pieces. That makes keeping him up-to-date a bit easier.

With good equipment and a good presence bonus, he deletes troublemakers very very well.