Advanced Class change

Kulyok

Now that you'll be able to create new level 60 in October for KOTFE, please, give us the ability to re-do our existing characters' advanced class!

For example, I have a Powertech I want to make into a Mercenary. Sure, I can make and level a new alt(and I did that), and I can even switch the name, but what about level 500 crew skills? Character perks? 10000 companion affection for all companions and Treek? Unique and no longer obtainable mounts tied to the character?

Switching the advanced class(for credits or cartel coins, or even free) would solve lots of problems for many players. Please, please consider it.

• 3 months later...

This has been my problem

Yes, with 12x experience, I COULD roll a new toon, BUT does everything I threw into this character move over? No.

I have titles and such that can't be transferred (from first world events and such), all so I can wield a second lightsaber? When it really has no bearing at my level.

In a way in game characters have switch AC, or at least Lana Beinko did, went from one to two sabers. With an instant 60, still doesn't fix my issue of having to regain titles (some no longer available) and such. I would very much like a token or something, with a long cool down. Maybe one that costs 1000cc (two months of sub) with either a 30-60 or even 90 day cooldown.

There are all kinds of reasons we can never change base class, faction, or gender.

Other than that, everything else is really just cosmetic.

Unless there's something built deep in the code that would crash the servers, I'd like to see them allow an AC change.

When it comes right down to it, it's really nothing but a change of abilities.

We already know that the system can force you to un-learn skills and replace old skills with new ones.

It is also able to grant your AC on the fly without making a trip to the AC trainer on the fleet.

So now that skill training is free, it wouldn't be such a stretch to see that this system just needs to remove all your existing skills, trigger the AC choice box, and then make you re-learn all of your skills.

Naturally you wouldn't be able to do this out in the field because you'd want to be standing by a trainer when it happened.

Edited by Rankyn

Well,there is strange thing.... It is possible to do so ... but Game masters will not allow this to normal players.

If you saw pre 3.0 twitch stream,that guy who presented new skill tree system,he did switch his advanced class...

But it was a cheat for testing purpouses for game masters ...

Immediately players wanted this option to do switch advanced class,they said sorry,we will not make this aviable.

I think it would be possible made 1 more npc in fleet to do this ...

It would be nice to switch ACs, for those who've decided they would prefer their character be the other AC instead. And before nay-sayers come in and say to simply reroll an auto-60 toon, consider that that would still mean that the character would loose all their hard-worked history, companion affection, crafting skill levels/acquired schematics, alignment, achievements/accolades, most currencies, and bound/un-reacquirable gear.

So, yes, an AC swap option would be preferable to destroying their character and starting anew. Plus, it's not like we're asking to switch from Knight to Trooper, for example; it's not even that big a change.

It would be nice to switch ACs, for those who've decided they would prefer their character be the other AC instead. And before nay-sayers come in and say to simply reroll an auto-60 toon, consider that that would still mean that the character would loose all their hard-worked history, companion affection, crafting skill levels/acquired schematics, alignment, achievements/accolades, most currencies, and bound/un-reacquirable gear.

So, yes, an AC swap option would be preferable to destroying their character and starting anew. Plus, it's not like we're asking to switch from Knight to Trooper, for example; it's not even that big a change.

Going from a stealthy melee DPS/healer to a ranged DPS isn't that big a change, right?

Going from a stealthy melee tank/DPS to a ranged healer/DPS isn't that big a change, right?

They're just COMPLETELY DIFFERENT play styles, but it's not that big of a change, right?

Let's not forget that the devs have already stated that the AC's were designed as fundamentally DIFFERENT CLASS DESIGNS and the AC's were treated as full classes within themselves. The AC's were set up within story lines so that they did not need 8 story lines per faction and 8 different voice actors per faction. It was a cost cutting decision to have 4 story lines per faction, with each story line dividing into two classes (AC's).

This means that asking to change AC's is effectively asking to change your class.

They're just COMPLETELY DIFFERENT play styles, but it's not that big of a change, right?

This means that asking to change AC's is effectively asking to change your class.

But see, here's the thing... it's a completely different playstyle in a VIDEOGAME.

It's not like it takes a degree in quantum physics to figure out how to go from playing tank to playing DPS.

In fact, combat proficiencies already let you switch between tank/dps and dps/heals so how is that any different?

Or maybe it does require an in-depth knowledge of quantum physics to switch from tank to healer and back.

It would not be a class change, it's a spec change.

The fact that they even share a core set of abilities in the base class bears that out.

Let's pretend for a moment that our characters are real, live beings in some alternate universe filled with galactic superpowers and magic space wizards.

Which one of these is the least likely scenario in a "real world" setting:

- A rugged gunslinger who's a crack shot with dual pistols decides to study medicine and invests in a stealth generator?

- A sturdy Sith who is a master of defensive fighting spends time broadening his horizons and learns to fight more aggressively with two weapons.

- A red Zabrak walks into the doctor's office and walks out as a green Twilek.

No, of all the various alterations we can make to our characters, being able to change advanced classes makes more sense than most of what can already be done.

But see, here's the thing... it's a completely different playstyle in a VIDEOGAME.

It's not like it takes a degree in quantum physics to figure out how to go from playing tank to playing DPS.

In fact, combat proficiencies already let you switch between tank/dps and dps/heals so how is that any different?

Or maybe it does require an in-depth knowledge of quantum physics to switch from tank to healer and back.

It would not be a class change, it's a spec change.

The fact that they even share a core set of abilities in the base class bears that out.

Let's pretend for a moment that our characters are real, live beings in some alternate universe filled with galactic superpowers and magic space wizards.

Which one of these is the least likely scenario in a "real world" setting:

- A rugged gunslinger who's a crack shot with dual pistols decides to study medicine and invests in a stealth generator?

- A sturdy Sith who is a master of defensive fighting spends time broadening his horizons and learns to fight more aggressively with two weapons.

- A red Zabrak walks into the doctor's office and walks out as a green Twilek.

No, of all the various alterations we can make to our characters, being able to change advanced classes makes more sense than most of what can already be done.

Feel free to ignore the devs and delude yourself that it would only be a spec change, but the truth remains. In the eyes of the devs, it would be a class change.

I remind you that you are told at least 4 times by at least 2 different NPC's that you CANNOT change your AC. In fact, you even have to confirm that you understand this and that you are making the choice you want to make before you can select your class.

To date, the devs have held fast to this.

Going from a stealthy melee DPS/healer to a ranged DPS isn't that big a change, right?

Going from a stealthy melee tank/DPS to a ranged healer/DPS isn't that big a change, right?

These points will ultimately mean nothing as players get a free lvl 60 and the option to buy more.

What people are saying is that they COULD get a new lvl 60 but the work they put into the character (like the story, companions, etc) would be gone.

To make it clear I completely understand the developers not changing it. I would LIKE to have the ability to change, but it isnt a big deal to me. Im just pointing out that argument no longer has any meaning

Edited by Galdos

Now that you'll be able to create new level 60 in October for KOTFE, please, give us the ability to re-do our existing characters' advanced class!

For example, I have a Powertech I want to make into a Mercenary. Sure, I can make and level a new alt(and I did that), and I can even switch the name, but what about level 500 crew skills? Character perks? 10000 companion affection for all companions and Treek? Unique and no longer obtainable mounts tied to the character?

Switching the advanced class(for credits or cartel coins, or even free) would solve lots of problems for many players. Please, please consider it.

I support this. But I've always prefered if they added some cartel item like those for renaming that can let you switch advanced classes though.

Anyways I'm in if you can get your adv. class changed at least once I really regrect my choice for my first character I've played. but its to late to dump him and start again.

To date, the devs have held fast to this.
The devs have, in the past, held fast to many things that they have since changed so that argument is invalid.

Should they have an AC change? I honestly don't care.

My only point is that (aside from the difficulty in coding it), there is nothing on the surface that precludes such a change.

Changing your AC has absolutely zero impact on any quest in the game, including your class and companion stories.

The only thing required for an AC change is an ability reset and re-train (a system that already exists in the game), and the only thing standing in the way of it is whether or not the developers want to do it.

That's like saying that one shouldn't have alts of differing play styles, because they will apparently be incapable of adjusting from the style of one to the style of the other. I don't know about you, but I personally have alts of differing classes and roles.

What would be the difference between different classes? Battle style, entire stat overhaul, companions, class story, ship, voice, perhaps a few others.

What is the difference between the combat proficiencies? Battle style, perhaps a little bit of gear tweaking ... that's about it.

What would be the difference between advanced classes? Battle style, perhaps a little bit of gear tweaking ... that's about it. So, no, AC swap would be nowhere near entire class swapping.

I remind you that you are told at least 4 times by at least 2 different NPC's that you CANNOT change your AC. In fact, you even have to confirm that you understand this and that you are making the choice you want to make before you can select your class.

That's only because AC swapping was not conceptualized and certainly not implemented, back then. One's physical appearance and species used to be set in stone, too; look what happened to that.