When is nar shaddaa night life?

NoahRedden

• 1 year later...

Curious. I have never participated in a Nightlife even before... they all have happened during a time when I wasn't actively playing (even though I have been around since the last few "closed" betas - when they handed out "closed" beta accesses to pretty much anyone).

I am curious what it is about. I know that the slot machines on our guild ship are helpful for reputation with Contraband Resale; which was extremely helpful, since I love my Aratech Eclipse. Maybe I can earn a bit reputation with other vendors?

What was the reason this event was taken out of the rotation?

When is removing content entirely ever a good idea?

There are two reasons:

1) From Bioware's perspective it's helpful since it creates a certain sense of urgency, which gets people to play and think about the game even if they otherwise wouldn't have. Developing a game is itself a game nowadays, it's in fact a "multi-dimensional optimization problem" (don't ask what that means, that's what I heard*), you play against the nominal players to goad them to think about the game as much as you anyhow can, to keep them as paying customers. What is added and removed to the game depends on game-theoretical decisions. It's purpose is not to appease the customers, but to have them obsess about the game, even if they don't like it. If you want something out of an event you might be tempted to play more, because you just want that one reward from the event with yet another character before it goes.

For example, hardly anyone bothers about getting a tauntaun from Hoth, even though it's not really difficult and the amount of effort most players invest into it is far smaller than in any one single event. That's because the option always exists. So there is no pressure. If the option to get a tauntaun from Hoth was limited to events a lot more people would be doing it. Same with datacrons. Not everyone is a datacron master. If it was an event there'd be a lot more datacron masters.

In short: From the developers point of you it's not necessarily helpful to appease you. It's all about creating a constant worry about the game in their customers and never giving the sense they might potentially have by any means completed it.

If you don't play the game this week you will miss the event and not be able to reap the rewards for quite a while. And that's the point.

2) It also sets a focus of the game. If all the activities within the game were around simultaneously and persistantly, you would not create so much activity in the event areas. It would be near impossible to find anyone to group with you for "Flora & Fauna" for example, because you'd hardly ever find anyone in the area other than yourself. Also, people would play events less overall, because, as a reference to 1), people might find out how boring both the activities and the rewards are altogether and choose to ignore them mostly. I remember buying a lightsaber from the Gree events during the earliest instances of the event, and I played a lot just to get it. Now it's just occupying space in my legacy storage.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

What was the reason this event was taken out of the rotation?

When is removing content entirely ever a good idea?

Oh, you misunderstand. The event never went away! Ben Irving just decided restricting RNG to simple cosmetic items wasn't EXCITING!!!! enough for him, so he took that event, renamed it "Galactic Command", made it year round, made it mandatory, and made it the primary way to get all gear.

There are two reasons:

1) From Bioware's perspective it's helpful since it creates a certain sense of urgency, which gets people to play and think about the game even if they otherwise wouldn't have. Developing a game is itself a game nowadays, it's in fact a "multi-dimensional optimization problem" (don't ask what that means, that's what I heard*), you play against the nominal players to goad them to think about the game as much as you anyhow can, to keep them as paying customers. What is added and removed to the game depends on game-theoretical decisions. It's purpose is not to appease the customers, but to have them obsess about the game, even if they don't like it. If you want something out of an event you might be tempted to play more, because you just want that one reward from the event with yet another character before it goes.

For example, hardly anyone bothers about getting a tauntaun from Hoth, even though it's not really difficult and the amount of effort most players invest into it is far smaller than in any one single event. That's because the option always exists. So there is no pressure. If the option to get a tauntaun from Hoth was limited to events a lot more people would be doing it. Same with datacrons. Not everyone is a datacron master. If it was an event there'd be a lot more datacron masters.

In short: From the developers point of you it's not necessarily helpful to appease you. It's all about creating a constant worry about the game in their customers and never giving the sense they might potentially have by any means completed it.

If you don't play the game this week you will miss the event and not be able to reap the rewards for quite a while. And that's the point.

2) It also sets a focus of the game. If all the activities within the game were around simultaneously and persistantly, you would not create so much activity in the event areas. It would be near impossible to find anyone to group with you for "Flora & Fauna" for example, because you'd hardly ever find anyone in the area other than yourself. Also, people would play events less overall, because, as a reference to 1), people might find out how boring both the activities and the rewards are altogether and choose to ignore them mostly. I remember buying a lightsaber from the Gree events during the earliest instances of the event, and I played a lot just to get it. Now it's just occupying space in my legacy storage.

Very keenly put.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.