Male of Female Jedi Knight?

Strive-US

I'm about to start a Jedi Knight, primarily for the story. I'm interested to know if one gender makes for a more or less enjoyable experience, for example, in terms of:

- Voice actor

- Attack animations

- Dialogue / character interactions

- Appearance in equipment

- Etc.

Thanks.

I'm about to start a Jedi Knight, primarily for the story. I'm interested to know if one gender makes for a more or less enjoyable experience, for example, in terms of:

- Voice actor

- Attack animations

- Dialogue / character interactions

- Appearance in equipment

- Etc.

Thanks.

I played it both as male and female, and tbh I found male more enjoyable.

Armor doesn't look bad on either character - I used similar looking ones, actually, just with different color. ;)

Moves are pretty much the same.

Voice acting is quite nice on both to me, which is surprising as I tend to have one gender I like and one I don't on most of the characters in this game... :p

What put my favor in male, however, is the companions' interactions.

You seem to be more respected as a male, to me, because when you pull out an epic play and your companions are out - the late ones, at least - they express surprise, while as a male they just express admiration. It's the difference that goes between "Nice play, man" and "Wow, you won", but it puts me off a bit, and I'm a male in RL... :o

Also, romance as a male is much more satisfying. Kira is a funny gal, smart and with not bad looks, for a videogame. Plus, she's the kind of girl that will react if you do something that makes her mad.

Doc, on the other hand... I don't know, on my female Knight I get the feeling I could whack him all day long and he'd keep smiling. :(

Don't get me wrong, I like Doc a lot on my male Knight, we're buddies and tend to stick together quite often, when I don't have someone else out. We crack jokes, smile and laugh together quite often in cutscenes.

On my female character, however, he acts in a way I dislike. He seems creepy to me, wherever I speak to him he seems to boast on a constant basis... And as if that wasn't enough, he keeps offering my female Knight a medical checkup, which is kind of... Meh. But that may depend on the fact I decided not to pursue the romance after I saw what he had to say... :rolleyes:

I played this story a long time ago, and I chose to play a male character. Since I didn't care very much for the story, I wouldn't play it again, but is it really true that they don't worship the female JK as much as the male? I have played both male and female Sith warriors for example, and there was absolutely no difference in the way I was treated at all. My female warrior was just as feared and just as respected as my male warrior, and no one really ever mentioned anything about gender whatsoever. The only time was when she had the option to say something in conversation with Vette where it goes something like 'it's a man's galaxy", though I don't believe she said that because she really meant it or believed it to be true or because she saw the galaxy as a sexist, patriarchal place at all, she was only saying that in a clearly joking manner because she had the option to have that sisterly sort of bond with Vette.

So I find it odd that female JK would get treated differently and people would be surprised that she achieves things, when it's made completely clear in lore that the Force doesn't care if you're male or female, or even what species you are (I know the Sith don't believe the species thing though, as they do believe that humans are superior and they think the Force favors them, but that's just because they are racist and xenophobic and not because there's actually any real truth to aliens being inferior), and that strength in the Force has absolutely nothing to do with gender, species or physical form, as you can literally be two-feet tall like Yoda and still be far more strong and powerful than people three or four times your size.

The game did a pretty good job of living true to that part of lore, as I noticed in the warrior story. The same was true for female Sith inquisitor, once again, no one ever mentioned in the slightest that she's female, and no one was ever surprised at her power or accomplishments in the least bit. I am now playing a male consular (first one was female), and it rings true for that story as well, once again, he isn't any more favored or respected than my female consular was. So I find it odd that with female JK this would be the case, although I know the social norms of the world we live in is often projected onto fictional works, even though it makes no sense that people in a galaxy far far away would actually have that mentality or hold that attitude. But it is a game, and it is an MMO, so it wouldn't be surprising for that sexism to creep up in it, but why the female JK and not the other female character stories? I don't know if it's worth playing a new JK just to see if it's true that she gets treated differently...

I played this story a long time ago, and I chose to play a male character. Since I didn't care very much for the story, I wouldn't play it again, but is it really true that they don't worship the female JK as much as the male? I have played both male and female Sith warriors for example, and there was absolutely no difference in the way I was treated at all. My female warrior was just as feared and just as respected as my male warrior, and no one really ever mentioned anything about gender whatsoever. The only time was when she had the option to say something in conversation with Vette where it goes something like 'it's a man's galaxy", though I don't believe she said that because she really meant it or believed it to be true or because she saw the galaxy as a sexist, patriarchal place at all, she was only saying that in a clearly joking manner because she had the option to have that sisterly sort of bond with Vette.

So I find it odd that female JK would get treated differently and people would be surprised that she achieves things, when it's made completely clear in lore that the Force doesn't care if you're male or female, or even what species you are (I know the Sith don't believe the species thing though, as they do believe that humans are superior and they think the Force favors them, but that's just because they are racist and xenophobic and not because there's actually any real truth to aliens being inferior), and that strength in the Force has absolutely nothing to do with gender, species or physical form, as you can literally be two-feet tall like Yoda and still be far more strong and powerful than people three or four times your size.

The game did a pretty good job of living true to that part of lore, as I noticed in the warrior story. The same was true for female Sith inquisitor, once again, no one ever mentioned in the slightest that she's female, and no one was ever surprised at her power or accomplishments in the least bit. I am now playing a male consular (first one was female), and it rings true for that story as well, once again, he isn't any more favored or respected than my female consular was. So I find it odd that with female JK this would be the case, although I know the social norms of the world we live in is often projected onto fictional works, even though it makes no sense that people in a galaxy far far away would actually have that mentality or hold that attitude. But it is a game, and it is an MMO, so it wouldn't be surprising for that sexism to creep up in it, but why the female JK and not the other female character stories? I don't know if it's worth playing a new JK just to see if it's true that she gets treated differently...

As I said, it was my personal feeling. Most of the time I read surprise, rather than admiration, in the way my comps and the other NPCs speak to my female Knight. But that's just me. I think I mentioned that was my point of view on the matter in my post... :o

Both of them are boring :/ they couldn't have hired someone with more personality to play the main hero of the game and it's really annoying because I really want to play a Jedi Knight but they put me off.

The Empire is much, much better in all aspects. The only good voice actors for Republic are the Smugglers.

My female sentinel has the Aspiring Knight top, which has the bare midriff and exposed arms with straps and such --- the male version reveals no skin. I generally prefer playing female characters, and I DO like the female knight's voice better, but the whole romance subplots really swing things in the favor of the male jedi --- Kira is just a great character and Doc is a boor.

Both of them are boring :/ they couldn't have hired someone with more personality to play the main hero of the game and it's really annoying because I really want to play a Jedi Knight but they put me off.

The Empire is much, much better in all aspects. The only good voice actors for Republic are the Smugglers.

I like the voice acting for the female trooper as well (voiced by the same voice actress that does Satele Shan, if I'm not mistaken). She brings plenty of character and inflection to the trooper role .

I may try a male Knight just to see what Kira's romance is like (since, absent such things cropping up in KotFE, I am unable to do such things on my Guardian) - I'm curious to see what the difference (if any) is.

Personally, I have enough slots on each server to play every class with every romance available. Gonna say that Knight's main-line story doesn't really make logical sense unless the character is either seriously attracted to Kira, or has a creepy stalker-like level of protectiveness.

Since we don't have SGR pre-Makeb, I basically roll male Knights and go with that.

To follow the tangent convo about the Trooper's gender, I feel like most of the stuff you do for Elara is probably not what most people would do out of pure loyalty to their friends.

Personally, I have enough slots on each server to play every class with every romance available. Gonna say that Knight's main-line story doesn't really make logical sense unless the character is either seriously attracted to Kira, or has a creepy stalker-like level of protectiveness.

Since we don't have SGR pre-Makeb, I basically roll male Knights and go with that.

To follow the tangent convo about the Trooper's gender, I feel like most of the stuff you do for Elara is probably not what most people would do out of pure loyalty to their friends.

Thanks for the input. Have any recommendations on race / gender combinations for other class stories?

Thanks for the input. Have any recommendations on race / gender combinations for other class stories?

Eh, the Vette and Jaesa romances are more enjoyable than Quinn's for the Warrior. I roll male warrior always and forever... Or until I want an evil insane fem with pigtails. Plus, evil Jaesa is still a crazy nympho, no matter which gender you play. Fun.

Agent is good with both, but you get deeper into Kaliyo's story if you're doing the romance. Raina is... just... I can't, lol. Also, Vector's romance gets cute but strange, and I feel more like he, my agent, and Lokin should just be mad scientist bros.

I never played Consular all the way through, but I prefer male 'cos of the voice acting, and because I felt like the male romance-able companion was a douche.

Inquisitor is really well-done, imo. Either gender is fun to play, but fem-Nox's romance with Andro beats out the Nox/Ashara one because of lulz. On the other hand, though, male Inq gets a few more chances to seduce people than the fem, iirc.

Smuggler is the other one that makes me laugh no matter what I do. Fem'Slinger has Corso (ick), but makes up for it by being able to flirt with almost anything she sees, as well as teasing better than the male smuggler can on his best days. The Smugg/Risha and Smugg/Akaavi romances definitely beat the hell out of the Corso one, though, and it's definitely worth the extra playthrough to do both.

Fem BH felt better than male BH, but the Torian romance is just... No... seriously. Like, don't do it. Mako's is also a 'meh' job, but Blizz and Tyresius are really fun to interact with.

Hell, y'know what? PLAY THEM ALLLLLLL! We've got this god-like XP boost for another month-ish (more, if you believe that leak), and you can probably get through each story in a couple of days.

Dang, now you've got me tempted to re-roll by Bounty Hunter as a female.

I've done Vette romance before because I like her fun personality, but how's romancing Jaesa? Better or worse?

Edited by Strive-US
Add content

Dang, now you've got me tempted to re-roll by Bounty Hunter as a female.

I've done Vette romance before because I like her fun personality, but how's romancing Jaesa? Better or worse?

I liked female BH way more than male (the VA is better), and initially I was only going to romance Torian enough to keep Mako off him because If Tarro Blood is a Mandalorian, then all Mandalorians are terribad. But that wasn't the case.

Jaesa is honestly the worst romance in-game. If you go LS with her, she's unavailable, and as DS she's nuts and not in the good way. She's like a psychopathic stalker groupie with attachment issues. I'm pretty sure if you romance her YOU BETTER NEVER BREAK UP, because she'll kill everyone and everything.

I personally prefer the female Knight's sisterly-bond with Kira over the male's romance, but I get why people say the story leans male--she is plot-important, and Doc is...not that great. Still, I think some are exaggerating when they say that she pushes you to the side if you're female--if anything, she drops out of relevance after Act I and plays second fiddle to you. IMO, the voice-acting is better as female for Light and male for Dark, so keep that in mind when you choose.

For the other classes:

Consular works as either--there's not really any plot "pushing" a romance forward, and the voice acting is terribad either way. I've seen people use Nadia's romance as evidence for male (for those who think it's sweet) and against male (for those who think it's creepy). I guess it's worth mentioning that this is the only class where the female can flirt with more companions than the male, but Iresso is so boring he counters whatever points that wins.

Smuggler is definitely male--Corso fits much better as "little brother figure" than romance interest, and Smuggler/Risha is literally Han/Leia under different names and in a different time period. Akaavi is interesting, too. I will say that female gets points in my book for the mass trolling of Corso she can do, particularly the end Act I flirt, but in all seriousness male feels the way to go.

Trooper fits as either. I guess female gets a slight lean if you like the Fem!Shep nostalgia, but really there's nothing in the story that pushes either gender, and the voice acting/romances are equal in quality in my eyes.

Warrior also works as either--the Quinncident gives the female an extra punch to the gut, but the male meshes really well with Vette if LS or Jaesa if DS. I like both the voice actors too, so it's totally worth playing through both twice as different alignments.

Inquisitor is male for me because of his absolutely amazing voice acting, and because I like Ashara's romance no matter what alignment you are. Imperius/Ashara is the two of them being a reformist power couple and Nox/Ashara has her being his soft spot and basically the only one he's ever nice to.

The Agent was born to be male. Firstly, it feels like Kaliyo is getting pushed on you as a romance because of all the stuff that happens late Act III, and because of how much more depth it adds to her. Vector's nice, but the female agent's flirting is so bad it literally made me re-roll, and Raina's okay-but-boring. Secondly, the female agents flirts feel tacked on, while the male's feel like part of the story. Third, everything with Hunter makes more sense if the Agent is male.

Bounty Hunter, I'll call female. Mandalorians are a pretty big part of the plot, and there's some female-specific dialogue where a couple of males admit they find your ******-ery attractive. Torian getting kidnapped makes sense for a female, since he's your love interest, but not for a male.