The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Star Wars Movie Novelisations

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-adaptation-covers-revealed-presenting-the-new-original-trilogy

Disney-Lucasfilm Press has decided to revise the saga for a whole new generation of readers.

But these are more than just mere retellings from this top talent; these are fresh interpretations — true to the films but filtered through each author’s vision. In each novel, the authors get inside the characters’ heads, tell us about the scenes between the scenes, and even teach us how to be a Jedi.

So apparently, the Original Trilogy is being adapted into new canon novelisations. The name choices seem to imply is geared towards a younger audience for whatever reason, but they appear to serve the same function as the old novelisations. Thoughts on this? Anything from the old novels you expect to be changed or reinstated?

Also anyone else noticed how OT heavy the new canon currently is? Almost as if they want us to forget the Prequels...

Edited by Beniboybling

Or maybe they just wanna make it focused towards the new movies?....Seeing as the OT cast is gonna be involved and such, would make sense. Plus the OT did come first.

It's still early on in the New EU.

At any rate, eh...I just hope they are good.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Some random thoughts on the announcement:

1. Are all three books coming out on September 22nd? I would imagine that's one reason why they're doing three separate authors, but I hope there is some serious coordinating going on so that it doesn't end up as... disjointed as some of the old Legends series ended up being. Being "filtered through each author’s vision" is all well and good, but when a book is part of a single collection that can be a tricky line to walk.
  2. I seem to remember that the old novelizations had some odd plot points that didn't really hold up as the overall series developed, such as the New Hope novelization implying that the Emperor was a mere figurehead / puppet ruler and the real power in the Empire were the Moffs and the military leaders. Having those inconsistencies smoothed out is all well and good. (It will be interesting to see how they manage the Luke / Leia romance subplot in ANH and ESB :p.)
  3. The titles definitely seem like they're geared towards younger audiences, and I'm fine with that in general. But that being said, "So You Want to Be a Jedi?" is a dumb title regardless of the target age group.

Edited by DarthDymond

1. Are all three books coming out on September 22nd? I would imagine that's one reason why they're doing three separate authors, but I hope there is some serious coordinating going on so that it doesn't end up as... disjointed as some of the old Legends series ended up being. Being "filtered through each author’s vision" is all well and good, but when a book is part of a single collection that can be a tricky line to walk.

God, the character disparities in some of those Series' were ridiculous. Agreed, I hope these authors are more cohesive.

Or maybe they just wanna make it focused towards the new movies?....Seeing as the OT cast is gonna be involved and such, would make sense. Plus the OT did come first.

It's still early on in the New EU.

At any rate, eh...I just hope they are good.

Hopefully, hoping we see some PT stuff soon.

That excerpt was most unenjoyable. I guess it's a good thing that kids don't read. One of the worst parts:

Han watches her. She refuses to look at him. He rolls his eyes. “Well, don’t get all mushy on me,” he

snaps. No response. He stalks off.

I am going to skip this next part, as it does indeed get kind of mushy. I will, in fact, skip all the mushy parts of the story to follow. They are neither appropriate nor relevant to a young Jedi-in-training. All you need to know now is that Leia runs after Han, and they have an argument in which it becomes very clear that Han and Leia kind of love each other, and kind of hate each other.

When they are just at the very peak of this argument, and both are red-faced and bothered, a high and grating voice interrupts them. “Excuse me, sir!” It is C-3PO. The golden Tin Man. “Sir, oh, sir!” He sounds like a British butler with his underwear in a twist.

GET READY TO EXPERIENCE THE SAGA IN CEREBRAL HIGH DEFINITION!

CEREBRAL HIGH DEFINITION!

CEREBRAL

My god, that was terrible. Guess they won't be "replacing" the old novelisations after all. :rolleyes:

Also for those who skim read the article and didn't catch that excerpt, read at your own peril:

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/06/Star-Wars-Chapter-Sampler-FINAL.pdf

Edited by Beniboybling

Also anyone else noticed how OT heavy the new canon currently is? Almost as if they want us to forget the Prequels.

Yeah, this was expected. I posted this on Feb 6:

Disney apparently feels that the real magic of Star Wars is the original trilogy era, not the prequel era. That's one reason why they cancelled Clone Wars; to finally close the book on that era.

When you go to Disney Star Wars weekend - most of it - is all original trilogy related. Mickey in the orange rebel flight suit, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, etc.

They have a jedi academy for little kids. I don't know if you've been there, but it's insanely popular.

The trailer for episode 7 was what? Desert planet (probably Tat), stormtrooper, Millenium Falcon, X-wings, etc. It's got Han, Luke, and Leia in the movie as well. It's all evoking the OT.

Disney is setting the stage for decades worth of product with Rebels and the upcoming Episode 7.

Rebels is designed to bring back the imagery of the OT and introduce it to a new generation of fans.

They just released a new Adventures of Luke Skywalker book featuring Ralph McQuarrie artwork. That's not a coincidence.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=795246&page=3

Disney acknowledged in a few interviews when they bought Lucasfilm that they were going to heavily focus on the OT era.

That's why the Clone Wars series got the axe.

Disney recognizes that the prequel trilogy was not received positively by a lot of fans, even though it has some positives aspects that fans did like.

Disney was very up front and transparent about the fact that they were going back to what originally made Star Wars so universally loved and what worked the best - the OT.

I guess a lot of people weren't listening?

Edited by CaulderBenson

Sad, but likely true. That said at the very least in Star Wars Insider Marvel Comics say they plan to explore other eras.

...Soon™

I'm supremely interested in what Disney will eventually do with the Old Republic era. They'll get to it one day in film and cartoons I suspect; though I think it will be a decade or more until they get around to it.

Edited by CaulderBenson

Indeed, I'm hoping at the very least they start allowing canon novels to be published in other eras, the Old Republic era included, currently I feel like the Star Wars universe has suddenly got very small...

Give it time. Disney absolutely will explore the Old Republic era (and when they do, it will be canon. That makes me so happy.) they know it has fans, and they'd be crazy not too.

Anything they do with that era I'm sure would be done with an eye for a new film series (just my opinion).

Time will tell.

Edited by CaulderBenson

That excerpt was most unenjoyable. I guess it's a good thing that kids don't read. One of the worst parts:

Han watches her. She refuses to look at him. He rolls his eyes. “Well, don’t get all mushy on me,” he

snaps. No response. He stalks off.

I am going to skip this next part, as it does indeed get kind of mushy. I will, in fact, skip all the mushy parts of the story to follow. They are neither appropriate nor relevant to a young Jedi-in-training. All you need to know now is that Leia runs after Han, and they have an argument in which it becomes very clear that Han and Leia kind of love each other, and kind of hate each other.

When they are just at the very peak of this argument, and both are red-faced and bothered, a high and grating voice interrupts them. “Excuse me, sir!” It is C-3PO. The golden Tin Man. “Sir, oh, sir!” He sounds like a British butler with his underwear in a twist.

Amazing...