Who wins the next war?

Pittpanther

In SWTOR, we are in the middle of a Cold War. The Cold War doesn't last for long as the two sides go back into war. I've tried to look this up but I've had no success. Who wins the war that comes after this Cold War? I'm guessing that the Republic wins the war and destroys the Empire and Sith for good(Or at least until the Phantom Menace). Is my prediction correct? If not, how did the Sith finally fall?

In SWTOR, we are in the middle of a Cold War. The Cold War doesn't last for long as the two sides go back into war. I've tried to look this up but I've had no success. Who wins the war that comes after this Cold War? I'm guessing that the Republic wins the war and destroys the Empire and Sith for good(Or at least until the Phantom Menace). Is my prediction correct? If not, how did the Sith finally fall?

... honestly, unknown.

Here's why, for starters the Sith Empire is failing but the Republic is unable to actually win the war at this time. Essentially the war that starts in the 3rd chapter never truly ends, but neither side really wants to commit to a fall out war either. So a war like this in a large galaxy could last a thousand years easily.

as we know the EU has an answer for this, but Disney has nullified most of this lore. Leaving us in uncertain areas. What I can say for sure, at some point in the future the Republic will be the last one standing, although when and how are impossible to guess.

... honestly, unknown.

Here's why, for starters the Sith Empire is failing but the Republic is unable to actually win the war at this time. Essentially the war that starts in the 3rd chapter never truly ends, but neither side really wants to commit to a fall out war either. So a war like this in a large galaxy could last a thousand years easily.

as we know the EU has an answer for this, but Disney has nullified most of this lore. Leaving us in uncertain areas. What I can say for sure, at some point in the future the Republic will be the last one standing, although when and how are impossible to guess.

SWTOR uses the old legends timeline IIRC

Edited by BrianDavion

Stay tuned! All this and more will be answered in the next exciting chapter of Star Wars: The Old Republic!

Honestly, the way in which this war plays out is the story of SWTOR and that story isn't finished being told yet.

All we know is that at around 2000 BBY (1,600ish years after SWTOR) the Republic is standing and the Sith Empire is fallen / no longer a galactic power - because at that time Darth Ruin, a fallen Jedi, creates a separate Sith Empire and launches the New Sith Wars. What happens over the course of that 1,600 year gap is anyone's guess at this point.

It seems most likely that the Republic will ultimately win this Second Galactic War, and they will either destroy, fracture or absorb the current Sith Empire, but the specifics are a complete unknown.

It's like with the Clone Wars, when the Original Trilogy came out we knew that there was a conflict, that some Jedi fought in it (or at least Obi-Wan did), and that there was an Empire standing at the end of it, but until the Prequels came out we had twenty years of knowing nothing else about what happened in that war or how it ended (heck, for the most part everyone assumed the Republic / Empire was fighting against the clones).

Neither. Both sides take a major hit by the Emperor third faction which is the "Fallen Empire" I believe. The Emperor gets defeated but both sides are weakened to the point where fighting each other isn't viable at all. Then that would probably open up opportunities for other smaller players... Perhaps The Mandalorians rise up and seize the opportunity? Thus the expansion after the Emperor would be about them adding Onderon and Dxun.,

So, to review:

Facts: By 600 years after this game, there is no Empire. Phantom Menace Republic is ostensibly the same one we see here.

Conclusion: In 600 years or less the Republic will defeat the Empire, or survive something the Empire doesn't.

Caveat: They could pull a KOTOR II (as in, the backstory of that game) and have the Empire "win" like the Triumvirate did, but the Republic still exists and the Empire is defeated later by them or a third party. However, since this is a not-quite-a-sequel to KOTOR II, it would be kind of cheap to use the same plot device.

My prediction: Once the game ends, there will be some story about the outcome of the war, in which the Republic will win.

So, to review:

Facts: By 600 years after this game, there is no Empire. Phantom Menace Republic is ostensibly the same one we see here.

Conclusion: In 600 years or less the Republic will defeat the Empire, or survive something the Empire doesn't.

Caveat: They could pull a KOTOR II (as in, the backstory of that game) and have the Empire "win" like the Triumvirate did, but the Republic still exists and the Empire is defeated later by them or a third party. However, since this is a not-quite-a-sequel to KOTOR II, it would be kind of cheap to use the same plot device.

My prediction: Once the game ends, there will be some story about the outcome of the war, in which the Republic will win.

Actually, the Old Republic of Phantom Menace is not the same Galactic Republic, that iteration of the Republic is only 1000 years old. SWTOR is nearly 3000 prior to that time.

Yes, the fate of the current 'Sith Empire' is to fall fairly soon, but the Galactic Republic will fall and be reborn a couple of times before Anakin Skywalker is born, this is also not the last 'Sith Empire'.

Actually, the Old Republic of Phantom Menace is not the same Galactic Republic, that iteration of the Republic is only 1000 years old. SWTOR is nearly 3000 prior to that time.

Yes it is. The same Republic that did the Ruusan Reformation is the same Republic that survived the New Sith Wars, which is the same Republic that had 1000 years of peace prior to the New Sith Wars, which is the same Republic in TOR, which is the same Republic that's existed for almost 25,0000 years.

The Republic only ever had periods of decline; it never fell until it destroyed itself. That was the significance of Darth Bane.

Edited by Senrie

Yes it is. The same Republic that did the Ruusan Reformation is the same Republic that survived the New Sith Wars, which is the same Republic that had 1000 years of peace prior to the New Sith Wars, which is the same Republic in TOR, which is the same Republic that's existed for almost 25,0000 years.

The Republic only ever had periods of decline; it never fell until it destroyed itself. That was the significance of Darth Bane.

A big part of this is just a matter of semantics. To take a real-world example, when we talk about "France" of today it is the Fifth Republic - so is it the 'same' France as existed under the reign of King Louis XIV? Is it the same as the First Republic of late 1792? Heck, is it the same France as existed in 1944 (Fourth Republic)? I'm sure some people say they are different, while others say France is France, period.

Obviously all sides agree that some things changed and some things stayed the same or just evolved the way nations normally do, so again it is a matter of semantics to determine what one means when they describe a State as being the 'same' or 'different' as one from earlier times.

Then there is also the issue that the EU hasn't exactly been consistent with how it portrays the scope of the Ruusan Reformation. Some sources treat it as being a set of sweeping reforms, but that the Republic was pretty much just reorganizing its government and disbanding its military. Other sources like the Essential Guides say the Republic had effectively ceased to exist during the Republic Dark Age, and the Reformation was basically a new Republic being born.

Edited by DarthDymond

I agree with the lack of consistency but I don't think it's too hard to reconcile.

Some sources treat it as being a set of sweeping reforms, but that the Republic was pretty much just reorganizing its government and disbanding its military.Other sources like the Essential Guides say the Republic had effectively ceased to exist during the Republic Dark Age, and the Reformation was basically a new Republic being born.

The emphasis should be on effectively. The difference between effectively and actually is crucial. The New Essential Chronology describes it as measure to prevent the fracturing of the Republic, as having saved it. This obviously means it's still around to be fractured or saved. And we see clearly that it is in the Darth Bane trilogy where we get, I believe, the most detailed description of what the Reformation was about:

Many of the measures proposed in the Ruusan Reformation are symbolic, but there is power in that symbolism. This will be the beginning of a new era for the Republic. We will enter a new age of prosperity and peace.

In terms of continuity of state the Republic never ceased to exist. Until it became the Galactic Empire there was a strong line of continuity that never once broke.

Edited by Senrie

I agree with the lack of consistency but I don't think it's too hard to reconcile.

The emphasis should be on effectively. The difference between effectively and actually is crucial. The New Essential Chronology describes it as measure to prevent the fracturing of the Republic, as having saved it. This obviously means it's still around to be fractured or saved. And we see clearly that it is in the Darth Bane trilogy where we get, I believe, the most detailed description of what the Reformation was about:

In terms of continuity of state the Republic never ceased to exist. Until it became the Galactic Empire there was a strong line of continuity that never once broke.

But again, this isn't chemistry or some other hard science where there is a definitive standard for when something changes as opposed to remaining the same. In talking about political entities these terms are much more... malleable, or at least subject to interpretation.

The Italy of today isn't the same entity as the Roman Empire, but when did the change happen and how many changes were there over those centuries? Was the Eastern Roman Empire (the Byzantine Empire) that 'survived' the fall of Rome the same empire as the Holy Roman Empire?

I really don't like real world examples. You either have to accept faulty premises of inaccurately stated real world history, or dispute it and before long start arguing what a nation-state is. When we could just as easily be talking about Numenor or Gondor where there's less to contend.

If you define it by continuity of state it becomes more clear. You can find cases and pose scenarios where it's hard to determine continuity, but the Republic isn't one. Even if you were to draw a distinction between the Republic pre- and post-Ruusan, the Republic that emerged from the Reformation would still clearly be a continuous state of the Republic before it. And that Republic, likewise, was continuous for over 20,000 years.

The New Sith Empire of Darth Ruin wouldn't be continuous of the Sith Empire because there's almost no connection between the two. You could argue Exar Kun's empire was continuous of the Sith Empire due to having Marka Ragnos's blessing, but the Empire under Vitiate holds a stronger case of continuity.

Edited by Senrie

Well, who knows, it could last quite a few more years, this war of ours, considering that since the start of the game it has only been two years since the end of the Cold War, and despite what our dear friends in the Republic may say that "Oh, the Empire is on it's last legs", and yet we've managed to get some defences thrown up which they just throw themselves against, costing them men and materials, and the Republic is suffering from the fact it has expanded too far too quickly (see nationalization of Czerka) while the Empire has managed to consolidate it's hold on it's part of the Galaxy through Isotope-5 generators and other new flashy things. The Empire is actually more under threat from the former Emperor than from the Republic: the Republic they can see coming, the Emperor is a cosmic entity that ATE a planet.

I think this Empire has still have life in it, and it's sticking around due to it's reforms and so forth. Who will win? The Republic, one way or another. It may conquer the Empire, it may be conquered and then the Empire dissolves in civil strife, we may find the Empire dissolves in Civil Strife before that after the death of Darth Marr: if he dies, Sith will try and take his place, and then people he convinced to join him (Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter, for example) may choose to give up on the Empire and choose to make a deal with the Republic. However, in the end, the Republic survives, and so do the Sith, just sans the huge order and the Empire.

Considering what the Lucas Story Group said regarding Old Republic Era lore: "It's canon until it's not." The game is in a particular quasi-state of canon/legends until the Story Group turns its attention back (which they said they aren't in a hurry to do) or make piecemeal picks and kill parts of the Old Republic lore as it suits their new shared universe.

Having said that, I'd like to see Bioware go bold with SWToR and state outright that they are embracing an alternate timeline where the future isn't written as we know it.

Right now, Bioware is in an awkward position where all of their effort might be for nothing if the Story Group chooses to change things to better fit their new "current" stories. The Sith Empire and all we know about Sith might be wiped away outside of a few key names, places and events already declared official canon (Darth Bane and K(M)orriban).

So why not just go for broke and do their own thing instead of treading on microscopically thin ice... knowing it's not if, but when, it's going to break?

Turn the table upside down and make the Sith dominant for centuries. Make the Republic a rebel faction withing the new Empire. Open the game up for the players. Have it dovetail into the prequels eventually, but change up how it gets there.

Or.... Try to work something out with the Story Group so that historical canon can be made. That's unlikely to happen I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...
Although the wiki doesn't state an outcome of the "Galactic War" between the Republic and Empire after the Cold War and subsequent breakdown between the two factions, It's fair to assume the Republic wins, although by what means, isn't known, We don't know if the Republic actually manages to defeat the Empire through military force or just by simply outlasting it but by judging that the Republic is still around by the time of the prequel films and no Empire is seen, The Republic seems to have won.

My own prediction?

Exhausted by the overpowered vilains Bioware writers will keep sending at them, the Empire and Republic end up signing a peace treaty and basically fuse in to one entity.

A few Jedi extremists insist on exterminating the Sith who fragment into dozens of smaller groups until they wipe each other out by virtue of being Sith.

The end (That we never get to see because the game is cancelled before that)

Both sides will lose, The empire collapses into many small isolated projects across the galaxy that exists into the movie universe and beyond. The republic fails to represent the galaxy and becomes segregated and corrupted, loses the military support (until the clone wars)

I remember reading in the darth bane series that bane convinces a Dark Lord to commit suicide by force bomb, and takes most of the sith (and some jedi) down with him. Thus he hunts down some of the remaining sith and institutes the rule of two. So that's where the war ends. Cause its just him and his apprentice in the end. I would think this is the ending of TOR. Cause after that the republic has like a thousand years of peace. So the republic wins but at the hands of a sith trying to forge a new legacy. I forgot what planet the final battle is on but it was an epic read.

I remember reading in the darth bane series that bane convinces a Dark Lord to commit suicide by force bomb, and takes most of the sith (and some jedi) down with him. Thus he hunts down some of the remaining sith and institutes the rule of two. So that's where the war ends. Cause its just him and his apprentice in the end. I would think this is the ending of TOR. Cause after that the republic has like a thousand years of peace. So the republic wins but at the hands of a sith trying to forge a new legacy. I forgot what planet the final battle is on but it was an epic read.

The planet was Ruusan - but all of that takes place about 2,600 years after TOR, and was the end of a different war (the New Sith Wars) with a different Sith Empire (The Brotherhood of Darkness).

About 1,600 years after TOR (1,000 years before Darth Bane, 2,000 years before the movies), a Jedi Master falls to the Dark Side, takes the name Darth Ruin, and builds his own new Sith Empire. Eventually, through centuries of war with the Republic, this new Empire fragments into a bunch of smaller Sith kingdoms and mini-empires, but the Republic is also driven back to the Core Worlds and all but destroyed - leading to what was called the Republic Dark Ages, with most of the Galaxy under the rule of these Sith kingdoms (who constantly fight each other as much as the Republic).

At the end of the Dark Ages (1,000 years before the movies and 2,600 years after TOR) both sides basically get their acts back together - Lord Kaan reunites the fragmented Sith into the Brotherhood of Darkness while the Jedi rally what was left of the Republic into the Army of Light. They fight each other until the final battle on the planet Ruusan (the Seventh Battle of Ruusan). Darth Bane, a member of Kaan's Brotherhood who believed the Sith had lost their way, tricks Kaan into using a Force Bomb that, like you said, wips out the rest of the Brotherhood and a good chunk of the Jedi's Army of Light, too. Then Bane starts the Rule of Two and takes the Sith into hiding, while the Republic is rebuilt in the Ruusan Reformation and begins its thousand years of peace, until the Clone Wars.

Edited by DarthDymond