The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Good and Bad of Star Wars

Strive-US

I feel the portrayal of Star Wars presented in the original movie trilogy was the best.

When something is popular, it's natural for people to want more of it. More stories, more lore, etc. And thanks to that desire, I am fortunate that over the years we've seen so much added to the Star Wars universe in the form of some really great games and TV shows like KOTOR, SWTOR, Clone Wars, etc. Some additions, however, I don't care for.

For example, I don't care about Anakin being the chosen one, about Luke achieving godlike powers (despite having absolutely minimal Jedi training), midi-chlorians, and anything related to "Sith" outside the SWTOR universe.

For me, the magic of Star Wars has always been the story of a boy who is suddenly plucked from obscurity, joins a mythical order, and goes on an adventure to save the galaxy. Darth Vader, in similar fashion, was best portrayed as a good man and talented Jedi who fell to corruption, but whose love for his son, in the end, leads him towards redemption. His origin as a ten year-old boy racing speeders adds nothing to his character. And lastly, as cool as it is to see Yoda doing flips and spinning a lightsaber, none of those antics will ever be more impressive than him simply lifting the X-wing from the swamp.

I suppose with the expansion of any universe there are likely to be both hits and misses. What separates the good content from the bad really comes down to story. You can stick lightsabers, force powers, and spaceships in just about anything, but it's only when you have characters with emotional depth and compelling motivations do you really get something that becomes beloved and enduring. It has to hit at the heart of the viewer to really resonate.

Just had to get that rant out.

IAnd lastly, as cool as it is to see Yoda doing flips and spinning a lightsaber, none of those antics will ever be more impressive than him simply lifting the X-wing from the swamp.

Agree with this 100%. Seeing Yoda flipping all around actually seemed to diminish his power in my eyes. I had always assumed that he was so strong with the force, that he had moved beyond needed a lightsaber. I remember that Episode 2 moment in the theater. The audience cheered. I sighed. Oh well, at least you can never go wrong with Christopher Lee.

A good thing with star wars is just that I think, if you don't care for the whole 'picture' there's a lot of others 'smaller' perspectives to lose oneself in. Think the disney purge took that away for a great deal of the fans . . . my self? Well, I kinda knew what was comin' with the prequels. I watched 1 and 2 on DvD only saw Ep3 in the theatre, at the time I was more interested in the timeframe and histories KoToR 1 & 2 presented . . . 'Dawn of the Jedi' was my latest star wars fetish.

But with E7 I feel an excitement and frankly 'I haven't felt this presence since *dramatical pause*' well I was waiting for Ep 5 . . .

Edited by t-darko