The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy credit deposit box

With all the wonderful utilities we have in the game ever since the stronghold expansion came out the ability to buy some kind of the deposit box for depositing credits will be a tremendous benefit it just needs to look like a small safe for something or maybe in a T a machine or whatever you can think that I'm not really determined on what the design should look like maybe a red legacy bank design for depositing credits because as you know everybody in the game that hangs onto the money loses it too fast and it would be wonderful to have some kind of an estate auction city be able to consolidate your resources and not have to use the mailbox just to transfer credits from one character to another in your own legacy

I can see the price tag of being maybe 500 cartel points for this wonderful option to have and you could purchase this in the cartel market

Yeah I'd like a credit deposit box too would be much simpler than having to swap toons to send creds back and forth and then sometimes mispelling a name not saying it happened to me at all but iv'e heard people making mistakes of sending creds to random people instead lol

Yeah I'd like a credit deposit box too would be much simpler than having to swap toons to send creds back and forth and then sometimes mispelling a name not saying it happened to me at all but iv'e heard people making mistakes of sending creds to random people instead lol

With all the legacy gear available, much of it given for free, it is incredibly easy to ensure that credits or items cannot be sent to another player by mistake. Simply include a piece of legacy gear with any credits or items and you can always be sure that those credits or items will stay within your legacy.

With all the legacy gear available, much of it given for free, it is incredibly easy to ensure that credits or items cannot be sent to another player by mistake. Simply include a piece of legacy gear with any credits or items and you can always be sure that those credits or items will stay within your legacy.

I'm not opposed to legacy credit storage. I've said before in the various other threads about this issue that I would welcome a legacy credit storage PROVIDED that it can be implemented in such a way as to maintain ALL credit restrictions that apply to preferred and F2P while NOT holding any credits in legacy storage hostage should a player drop from subscriber to preferred.

To date, no one has been able to find a way to do this. The usual response amounts to "I want this so give it to me. Make it subscriber only and woe unto those who drop to preferred. I don't care about them. I want this because it is such a horrendous and gigantic effort to use the already existing mail system to send credits between characters."

While not as convenient as a legacy storage would be, there are ways to make use of the already existing mail system to be as close to a legacy credit storage as possible. A player can designate one character as the "banker" and store the "legacy credits" on that character so they always know which character has the credits to send. Enclosing a piece of legacy gear with any credits will ensure that those credits stay within the legacy.

Unless I mistaken, BW stated that they would not be implementing legacy credit storage when they implemented the legacy storage. IMO, that may be due to the potential problems that be caused by attempting to implement a legacy credit storage.

Tbh, they should just remove the need for a credit cap and just be done with it to bring many others back. One of the main reasons why so many quit was cause F2p is so limited it doesn't entice them to even sub back up to the game, need to give some lea way to get some others back into the game imo.

Tbh, they should just remove the need for a credit cap and just be done with it to bring many others back. One of the main reasons why so many quit was cause F2p is so limited it doesn't entice them to even sub back up to the game, need to give some lea way to get some others back into the game imo.

The credit cap is one of the biggest incentives to subscribe. IMO, removing it would likely lead to many subscribers dropping to preferred. Any "returning players" would likely not subscribe if there were no credit cap, IMO.

I'm not opposed to legacy credit storage. I've said before in the various other threads about this issue that I would welcome a legacy credit storage PROVIDED that it can be implemented in such a way as to maintain ALL credit restrictions that apply to preferred and F2P while NOT holding any credits in legacy storage hostage should a player drop from subscriber to preferred.

To date, no one has been able to find a way to do this. The usual response amounts to "I want this so give it to me. Make it subscriber only and woe unto those who drop to preferred. I don't care about them. I want this because it is such a horrendous and gigantic effort to use the already existing mail system to send credits between characters."

While not as convenient as a legacy storage would be, there are ways to make use of the already existing mail system to be as close to a legacy credit storage as possible. A player can designate one character as the "banker" and store the "legacy credits" on that character so they always know which character has the credits to send. Enclosing a piece of legacy gear with any credits will ensure that those credits stay within the legacy.

Unless I mistaken, BW stated that they would not be implementing legacy credit storage when they implemented the legacy storage. IMO, that may be due to the potential problems that be caused by attempting to implement a legacy credit storage.

So the ability to send credits to another character is close to having it available legacy-wide?

Also, why put the restriction that the credits can't be held hostage if the player moves from Sub to F2P? That's how it works now, on an individual character basis. Why not legacy-wide? It seems like this is good incentive to keep a player subbed. And isn't that good for the game?

Edited by gocard

So the ability to send credits to another character is close to having it available legacy-wide?

Yes, it is as close as we can get with the current mail system. The current mail system, by the way, maintains ALL credit restrictions on preferred and F2P players, while not holding any credits UP TO THE CREDIT CAP hostage.

The most common excuses I hear for demanding that BW spend the development dollars to implement a legacy wide credit storage are:

"I never know which character has the credits." Designate one character as your banker and you will always know which character has the credits to send.

"I might accidentally send the credits to a total stranger and lose them forever." Enclose a piece of legacy gear and those credits will always stay within your legacy. Legacy gear is very easy to acquire, even if you do not receive the GSF legacy gear in the mail with every new character. It doesn't have to be a piece of legacy gear. Any bound to legacy item would work.

These demands all boil down to the horrendous and gigantic effort required to use the already existing mail system to transfer credits between characters. God forbid people actually have to take a few minutes to send credits between characters.

Also, why put the restriction that the credits can't be held hostage if the player moves from Sub to F2P? That's how it works now, on an individual character basis. Why not legacy-wide? It seems like this is good incentive to keep a player subbed. And isn't that good for the game?

You are correct, that any credits OVER THE CREDIT CAP are unavailable without an escrow should a player drop to preferred.

I forgot to add the "up to the credit cap" in my statement regarding holding credits hostage.

What happens when a player has only 25,000 credits on each character with the balance in legacy credit storage drops to preferred? His credit cap is 350,000 credits. Do you hold all the credits in legacy storage hostage, even though he has room for 325,000 credits under the credit cap? Do you allow him to pull credits from legacy storage up to the credit cap, even though this could BYPASS the restriction against transferring credits between characters?

Do you expect BW to keep records of exactly how much each character puts into legacy storage so that they can only withdraw up to what they deposited? If so, then how does BW determine which character's credits are used for any purchases made using credits from legacy storage?

As I said, to date, no one has been able to answer these questions. It seems that the only answer anyone can provide is "I don't care about anyone else. I want legacy credit storage. I'm entitled to it. BW OWES me. How dare BW expect me to use the mail system. Don't they know how much effort that entails?"

Edited by Ratajack

Yes, it is as close as we can get with the current mail system. The current mail system, by the way, maintains ALL credit restrictions on preferred and F2P players, while not holding any credits UP TO THE CREDIT CAP hostage.

I was just curious, because you seemed to say the opposite when comparing legacy gear and legacy datacron stats. That the stats from legacy gear weren't comparable because you had to send them via mail.

Do you hold all the credits in legacy storage hostage, even though he has room for 325,000 credits under the credit cap?

Yes.

Do you allow him to pull credits from legacy storage up to the credit cap, even though this could BYPASS the restriction against transferring credits between characters?

No. If he wants those credits, he should pull them before he unsubs. Why is this not acceptable? Why is it not reasonable to have the soon to be F2P player prepare for his unsub before he unsubs by withdrawing credits to the chars he wants them on? If this is all such a pain for the player, then maybe he should stay subbed.

That said, I think it'd be nice to have legacy bank, but really, I don't really care. The time I've spent transferring money is not even a fraction of a percentage of my game play time.

Edited by gocard

I was just curious, because you seemed to say the opposite when comparing legacy gear and legacy datacron stats. That the stats from legacy gear weren't comparable because you had to send them via mail.

That's because they are NOT comparable and it has nothing to do with the mail system. It has to do with receiving ONE reward that can be transferred between characters for a character doing something versus receiving an identical reward on EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, present and future, for something that only ONE character did.

One is a PERMANENT stat bonus for EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER for something done by only ONE character. The other is simply transferring ONE set of mods between characters.

Transferring ONE set of mods is a far cry from handing EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER an identical set of mods for something that only ONE character did.

Transferring ONE set of mods is a far cry from handing EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER an identical set of mods for something that only ONE character did.

I guess this is where I differ. I think it's pretty similar. The "effect" of legacy gear is that all characters can benefit from the stats available on that gear. The difference between each char having an identical set of that gear vs legacy gear is the act/mechanism of having to transfer it via mail. The effective result is the same, since you can't log in to 2 characters at the same time. That fact is key. You can't ignore it. If you could allow your friend to play one of your chars while you played the other at the same time, then yes, legacy gear would be "effectively" (meaning the end result you experience) different than a permanent stat increase for all your chars.

It would be like saying me giving you $200 in cash is a far cry from me giving you a $200 check. Yes, the mechanism for which the money is transferred to you is different, but the effective result is the same. You end up with $200 in your pocket.

So when I see you saying that transferring credits via mail is a close replacement to legacy bank, it seems contradictory.

The "effective" difference between using a char to store credits vs having legacy bank is the mechanism of transferring credits via mail.

The "effective" difference between legacy gear vs permanent stat increase is the mechanism of transferring gear via mail.

Edited by gocard

I guess this is where I differ. I think it's pretty similar. The "effect" of legacy gear is that all characters can benefit from the stats available on that gear. The difference between each char having an identical set of that gear vs legacy gear is the act/mechanism of having to transfer it via mail. The effective result is the same, since you can't log in to 2 characters at the same time. That fact is key. You can't ignore it. If you could allow your friend to play one of your chars while you played the other at the same time, then yes, legacy gear would be "effectively" (meaning the end result you experience) different than a permanent stat increase for all your chars.

It would be like saying me giving you $200 in cash is a far cry from me giving you a $200 check. Yes, the mechanism for which the money is transferred to you is different, but the effective result is the same. You end up with $200 in your pocket.

So when I see you saying that transferring credits via mail is a close replacement to legacy bank, it seems contradictory.

The "effective" difference between using a char to store credits vs having legacy bank is the mechanism of transferring credits via mail.

The "effective" difference between legacy gear vs permanent stat increase is the mechanism of transferring gear via mail.

If you feel that legacy gear is the same as legacy datacrons, and you have no problem using the existing mail system to transfer legacy gear between characters, then why are you advocating a legacy credit storage to avoid having to use the mail system to transfer credits. That seems contradictory to me. If the mail system is fine for transferring legacy gear between characters, then why is there a need for a legacy credit storage to avoid having to use that mail system?

Player A has spent the time necessary to acquire a BIS set of strength mods on ONE character. He can send those mods between characters using legacy gear, but those mods will only benefit Juggernauts, Marauders, Guardians and Sentinels. They will NOT benefit any other class.

Player B has spent the time to find all the datacrons on ONE character. Legacy datacrons would benefit ALL classes equally.

It makes NO difference if only one character can be logged in at a time. using your logic, giving each and every character, PRESENT AND FUTURE, an equivalent, class appropriate piece of gear whenever ONE character acquires a piece of gear should have zero effect since only ONE character could be logged in at any time. Using your logic, giving each and every character, PRESENT AND FUTURE, an equal amount of experience whenever ONE character earns experience should make no difference since only ONE character can be logged in at any time.

Why is it that people feel that gear, credits and experience must be earned PER CHARACTER, but those same people feel that those PERMANENT datacron stat bonuses should be simply handed out for FREE to characters that have not found the datacrons? Could that reason be that it is entirely due to laziness--the aversion to the effort required to find those datacrons on the characters they wish to have those stat bonuses?

If you feel that legacy gear is the same as legacy datacrons, and you have no problem using the existing mail system to transfer legacy gear between characters, then why are you advocating a legacy credit storage to avoid having to use the mail system to transfer credits. That seems contradictory to me. If the mail system is fine for transferring legacy gear between characters, then why is there a need for a legacy credit storage to avoid having to use that mail system?

It's not contradictory. You aren't following logic correctly.

Your argument would only make sense if I PREFERRED mailing legacy gear over legacy datacrons. First of all, I'm FOR legacy datacrons, and I've used legacy gear as a reason for it. I'm pro both of those. Also, I'd actually prefer not having to mail my legacy gear (in fact, I "don't". I use legacy storage now. But I consider that effectively the same mechanism as mailing). That said, I actually said I don't really care with regards to credits. It's nice, but whatever. I'm fine with transferring credits.

And I think the effects of legacy gear are the same as legacy datacrons, but not the mechanism of transferring behind it. Just like I think the effects of mailing credits is the same as legacy bank, but not the mechanism behind it. The end results are the same, but how they're accomplished is slightly different (one being instantly available, the other needing you to manually transfer).

Your argument is that the effects of mailing credits and legacy bank are the same. But you're arguing that the effects of legacy gear and legacy datacron are not.

Player A has spent the time necessary to acquire a BIS set of strength mods on ONE character. He can send those mods between characters using legacy gear, but those mods will only benefit Juggernauts, Marauders, Guardians and Sentinels. They will NOT benefit any other class.

Player B has spent the time to find all the datacrons on ONE character. Legacy datacrons would benefit ALL classes equally.

Again, I call BS. Your analogy is not apples to apples. The proper analogy is, Player A has spent time to accumulate coms for BIS gear for all classes. Now ALL his chars will have a class appropriate set of gear. Why is this the right analogy? Because Player B has spent the time to find ALL datacrons, even ones not usable by him.

It makes NO difference if only one character can be logged in at a time.

It makes all the difference. How can you not see this? Let's return to what you said here:

Let's say that Bioware removed legacy gear, and instead, allowed each and every character in your legacy an identical set of mods when they're earned on one character. Lets put the restriction that those "gifted" mods are NOT sellable. Why not sellable? Because that's how collections work, and that's how legacy datacrons work. You can't sell a legacy datacron. And you can't sell collection items because that would give players an infinite money generator.

So what would be the difference in game play between legacy gear vs identical gear being gifted to all your chars.

My argument is that there's only a difference if you can log in to multiple characters at the same time. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Edited by gocard

It's not contradictory. You aren't following logic correctly.

Your argument would only make sense if I PREFERRED mailing legacy gear over legacy datacrons. First of all, I'm FOR legacy datacrons, and I've used legacy gear as a reason for it. I'm pro both of those. Also, I'd actually prefer not having to mail my legacy gear (in fact, I "don't". I use legacy storage now. But I consider that effectively the same mechanism as mailing). That said, I actually said I don't really care with regards to credits. It's nice, but whatever. I'm fine with transferring credits.

And I think the effects of legacy gear are the same as legacy datacrons, but not the mechanism of transferring behind it. Just like I think the effects of mailing credits is the same as legacy bank, but not the mechanism behind it. The end results are the same, but how they're accomplished is slightly different (one being instantly available, the other needing you to manually transfer).

Your argument is that the effects of mailing credits and legacy bank are the same. But you're arguing that the effects of legacy gear and legacy datacron are not.

I was trying to explain how a player could use the already existing mail service to approximate as closely as possible a legacy credit storage in the absence of a legacy credit storage.

You can say that the effects mailing credits and a legacy credit storage are similar or the same because we are only talking about ONE set of credits whether those credits are in a legacy credit storage or divided amongst a player's characters. If player A has 10,000,000 credits total amongst all his characters, it makes no difference whether those credits are stored on 10 characters at 1,000,000 credits each or if the whole 10,000,000 million is stored in one location--be that in a legacy credit storage or on a single character.

The effects of legacy gear and legacy datacrons are NOT the same.

Legacy gear is ONE set of gear, or mods. Yes, you can mail that one set of mods between characters, but there is only ONE set of mods. You do not have an identical set of mods for EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, PRESENT AND FUTURE. Legacy datacrons would provide an IDENTICAL set of mods for EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, PRESENT AND FUTURE.

As I said, it makes no difference if only one character can be online at any time.

Legacy gear:

Player A has a shadow and an assassin. Player A obtains a full set of BIS willpower tanking mods on his shadow. Player A has ONE set of willpower tanking mods that he can transfer between his assassin and his shadow using legacy gear. Player A transfers his assassin to another server. Now only ONE character has access to those mods. Those mods can either stay with the shadow on the original server or they can follow the assassin to the new server, but they can no longer be used by both.

Legacy datacrons:

Let's just say that hypothetically BW decides to cave to the "instant gratification, entitled, have to have it now and for as little effort or cost as possible" crowd and implement legacy datacrons. Player A finds all the datacrons with his shadow, but his assassin gets an identical set of stat bonuses even though his shadow did not find the datacrons. Player A transfers his assassin to a new server. Now BOTH the shadow AND the assassin still have those same stat bonuses, even though ONLY the shadow earned them. In addition, the assassin takes his legacy with him, meaning that now EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER player A has or will ever create on the new server also gets those same stat bonuses.

Do you honestly not see the difference between legacy datacrons and legacy gear or are you simply choosing to ignore the difference?

Again, I call BS. Your analogy is not apples to apples. The proper analogy is, Player A has spent time to accumulate coms for BIS gear for all classes. Now ALL his chars will have a class appropriate set of gear. Why is this the right analogy? Because Player B has spent the time to find ALL datacrons, even ones not usable by him.

If you want to say the player would have accumulated full BIS sets for all classes since that player found all the datacrons, then that player would have to accumulate full BIS sets for all classes with ONE character, since we are talking about ONE character having found all the datacrons.

Let's say that Bioware removed legacy gear, and instead, allowed each and every character in your legacy an identical set of mods when they're earned on one character. Lets put the restriction that those "gifted" mods are NOT sellable. Why not sellable? Because that's how collections work, and that's how legacy datacrons work. You can't sell a legacy datacron. And you can't sell collection items because that would give players an infinite money generator.

So what would be the difference in game play between legacy gear vs identical gear being gifted to all your chars.

My argument is that there's only a difference if you can log in to multiple characters at the same time. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Why stop at gear? After all, you are talking about handing an identical reward to EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, PRESENT AND FUTURE, for something that only ONE character did. If we are going to hand an identical reward to each and every character, present and future, when ONE character does something, why not include credits and experience points?

Player A completes a quest with his assassin and earns 12,000 XP and 10,000 credits. Using your logic, each and every character player has, or will ever create should also receive that 12,000 XP and 10,000 credits since you apparently want to simply hand out identical rewards to each and every character, present and future for something that only ONE character did .

Let's just say that hypothetically BW decides to cave to the "instant gratification, entitled, have to have it now and for as little effort or cost as possible" crowd and implement legacy datacrons. Player A finds all the datacrons with his shadow, but his assassin gets an identical set of stat bonuses even though his shadow did not find the datacrons. Player A transfers his assassin to a new server. Now BOTH the shadow AND the assassin still have those same stat bonuses, even though ONLY the shadow earned them. In addition, the assassin takes his legacy with him, meaning that now EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER player A has or will ever create on the new server also gets those same stat bonuses.

Do you honestly not see the difference between legacy datacrons and legacy gear or are you simply choosing to ignore the difference?

Haha, I didn't think about server transfers. It's not something I regularly do. In fact, I've only done it once. So you'll forgive me if I didn't think of that scenario. Ok fine, that's one difference. Any others? I honestly don't see much difference after that. This is the first difference anyone has brought up. So if there's other obvious stuff I'm missing, please, tell me.

If there aren't any other differences, let me ask, do you like the idea of legacy gear, or do you wish Bioware never introduced it? If you're ok with it, does that mean you're for legacy gear and against legacy datacrons only because of server transfers?

If you're curious about what I think about all those crazy tangents that you want to jump on, then just reread what I wrote here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8173692#post8173692

If you want to say the player would have accumulated full BIS sets for all classes since that player found all the datacrons, then that player would have to accumulate full BIS sets for all classes with ONE character, since we are talking about ONE character having found all the datacrons.

You sure you want to have said that? That actually helps my case. Right now, with legacy gear, you DON'T need to have collected all sets of gear on ONE char in order to have all other chars benefit from that gear. (The legacy datacron equivalent would be if all your chars got the benefit of a datacron as soon as any of them got it. No one has asked for it to be this easy to get.). The restriction that legacy datacrons need to have been collected by ONE char before sharing means it's more difficult to share stats than the already existing legacy gear.

And reemember, the only reason people bring up legacy gear is because of the remarks that the sharing of the stat boost across legacy via legacy datacrons is too OP (that's why some have said, just give legacy to the codex entries but not the stats). We bring up legacy gear to show that this stat sharing already exists, and ISN'T considered too OP. The fact that legacy datacrons stat sharing is harder to achieve than legacy gear stat sharing should further diminish the sense of "OP"ness.

Edited by gocard

Haha, I didn't think about server transfers. It's not something I regularly do. In fact, I've only done it once. So you'll forgive me if I didn't think of that scenario. Ok fine, that's one difference. Any others? I honestly don't see much difference after that. This is the first difference anyone has brought up. So if there's other obvious stuff I'm missing, please, tell me.

If there aren't any other differences, let me ask, do you like the idea of legacy gear, or do you wish Bioware never introduced it? If you're ok with it, does that mean you're for legacy gear and against legacy datacrons only because of server transfers?

If you're curious about what I think about all those crazy tangents that you want to jump on, then just reread what I wrote here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8173692#post8173692

Server transfers are sufficient evidence that legacy datacrons and legacy gear are not the same. There is no need for any other examples.

You sure you want to have said that? That actually helps my case. Right now, with legacy gear, you DON'T need to have collected all sets of gear on ONE char in order to have all other chars benefit from that gear. (The legacy datacron equivalent would be if all your chars got the benefit of a datacron as soon as any of them got it. No one has asked for it to be this easy to get.). The restriction that legacy datacrons need to have been collected by ONE char before sharing means it's more difficult to share stats than the already existing legacy gear.

And reemember, the only reason people bring up legacy gear is because of the remarks that the sharing of the stat boost across legacy via legacy datacrons is too OP (that's why some have said, just give legacy to the codex entries but not the stats). We bring up legacy gear to show that this stat sharing already exists, and ISN'T considered too OP. The fact that legacy datacrons stat sharing is harder to achieve than legacy gear stat sharing should further diminish the sense of "OP"ness.

I have said before, I fully support legacy datacron CODEX ENTRIES. I do not support making the stat bonuses legacy wide.

Legacy gear is NOT even remotely close to legacy datacron stat bonuses. There is NO stat bonus "sharing" with legacy datacrons.

Legacy gear will let you SHARE a SINGLE set of mods between characters within a legacy. There is only ONE set of mods to SHARE.

What you are asking is that EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, PRESENT AND FUTURE, be HANDED an IDENTICAL set of stat bonuses, potentially creating an UNLIMITED number of stat bonuses. There is NO SHARING of stat bonuses. Your characters would NOT be SHARING a SINGLE set of stat bonuses. They would each have THEIR OWN set of stat bonuses.

Many people choose to ignore this fact in their desire to avoid the minimal effort necessary to find the datacrons on each character they wish to have those stat bonuses and thereby acquire the stat bonuses on those characters.

If BW chose to completely revamp and rework the datacrons system so that there was a bound to legacy "datacron repository" that was "charged" with the stat bonus for each datacron the first time each datacron was found and could be transferred between characters, then you would have a valid comparison to legacy gear. Of course, this would also necessitate fine tuning, things such as required level to use the "datacrron repository", etc.

I seriously doubt, though, that BW is going to completely rework and revamp the existing datacron system.

To get back on topic, I agree that a legacy credit storage would be convenient. I do not think, however, it is worth the necessary development dollars to ensure it is implemented properly and will maintain ALL credit restrictions for preferred and F2P while not holding any credits in legacy storage (up tot he character's credit cap) hostage, should a subscriber drop to preferred. This is especially true when we can approximate a legacy credit storage using the already existing mail system which DOES maintain ALL credit restrictions for preferred and F2P and does NOT hold credits (up to the credit cap) hostage and even allows the player to access credits over the credit cap through the use of escrows.