The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS Role in HM Torque

bdatt

I've cleared HM Torque as a Shadow and now Vanguard, but am struggling to really find an optimal play style as the Vanguard dps.

If my role is single-target burn boss, that's pretty easy. But any amount of add duty, or god-forbid primary turret duty, I struggle. So I'm looking for how people approach different situations in the two different disciplines.

E.g., in tactics do you always apply gut to Shoots Lasers and Fire Device before burning? Do you have efficient DoT spread in Plasmatech to do damage to turrets?

Tactics is preferred due to AOE DR, but single-target switching between turrets is awfully inefficient and I can't seem to get more than 2 with explosive surge (but maybe not in optimal position).

Anyway, just looking for some comment on how folks have played HM Torque as a Vanguard/PT dps or how you would approach the different scenarios (burn boss, boss + lasers/fire, primary turrets if ranged are lazy, etc.).

If you're target switching as Tactics, either apply Gut as needed or always use your High Impact Bolt on Torque himself so you get the benefits related to Energy. If you're playing as Plasmatech, no need to apply dots for Energy reasons, so only apply them if they live long enough (or for spreading Incendiary, but you can spread that from Torque).

Depending on my composition, I either go Plasmatech or Tactics.

For a while, we would go 2 VG 2 Sage - though one of our sages is currently taking a break, so we've had to improvise.

With that composition, both VGs would go tactics and simply add mortar volley + sticky grenade to the rotation when adds are up to help deal with the shoots lasers + fire devices and otherwise just tunnel the boss down.

Now though, we've got 1 mando, 1 sage, and the other VG is swapping to his slinger on this fight to help deal with turrets.

As such, i'm now using Plasmatech, as its AoEs are better. The only attack affected by AoE DR in this fight is the floor vents anyway. Just keep the boss on the fire devices + shoots lasers when they spawn and until pulse cannon finishes, and it will usually be half dead by then anyway, and you can then swap to single-targetting down the add so its dead before the next add spawn.

Pulse Cannon should be off cooldown every time an add spawns, and you should be able to fire the whole thing before fire vents start

Now there is a minor problem with pulse cannon - unless you are standing on a console, it can only get 1 turret at a time. As such, you once again have to position yourself correctly, and then spam explosive surge. At least that can hit 3 targets...

Edited by TACeMossie

If your role in the fight is to be the primary deterrent device killer, you should not be in AP. Pyrotech is just so much more efficient at it than AP. I feel like you should ask another DPS to focus on single-targeting shoots lasers, but that's just my opinion.

I found that in my group (Sniper, Merc, and rotating other DPS) I was most useful when burning the boss with AP and contributing to adds when possible. So, I generally single target Torque and let the sniper/other DPS worry about Shoots Lasers until the turrets start appearing. When the first set of deterrent devices appear I make sure I am low heat and spam two flame sweeps, swap to the other side of the room because of floor vents, and spam flame sweep there until the Turrets are just about dead. When the turrets are dead I leave all add duty to the other DPS. If your tanks are on point it is possible to catch a shoots lasers, three deterrent devices, a fire device as well as the boss with one flame sweep. To maximize damage, you should obviously take the +25% Flame Sweep damage utility, as well as the utility that vents heat when stunned for the Magnetic Clamp DoT. When Flame Sweep spamming, make sure you're positioning yourself to next to either of the middle deterrent devices so you can hit three of them. Also, it is important to maintain perfect uptime on PPA by using Railshot on Torque while doing this so you can refresh your Retractable Blade DoT and can return with little downtime when the adds are dead. This keeps your heat relatively low as well. The most important part of this strategy is of course being aware of the repair droids so you don't kill them with your own AoE!

This is what works for me in my group. When doing this my DPS is usually around 4600 with a mix of 198s and 192s and 192 mainhand. Hopefully you can work out a playstyle that fits your group composition!