Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Commando PvE - Horrible Parsing (What am I doing wrong?)

JHemelhof

Hello all,

While I enjoy my tanking toons, I recently leveled and geared a Commando DPS. When I started to do some parses (to see if I was viable for lvl 60 ops) I was shocked by how bad I did: 2.7k with gunnery and 2.8k with assault :eek: I changed my gear a bit and learned the rotations from dulfy, but my results still stay between 3k-3.2k :(

Current stats:

Aim: 4414

Power: 1019

Accuracy: 101.20% (882)

Crit: 29.94% (569)

Surge: 63.91% (219)

This is with some token pieces, ziost stuff, some comms stuff and some crafted accuracy enhancements.

Parses:

Gunnery 1: http://parsely.io/parser/view/29148

Gunnery 2: http://parsely.io/parser/view/29150

Assault: http://parsely.io/parser/view/29152

Is the problem my rotation, my stats, my APM or maybe all three? Any advice would be welcome, I'm really liking the commando dps and I'm eager to bring him into OPS.

Edited by JHemelhof

I agree, your APM is low. Set your Ability Action Queue to 1.0sec and make sure you "fire" your next ability before the current one finishes (except don't clip Boltstorm).

A lesser issue is you have too much Accuracy. Anything over 100% (758points) is wasted. Swap this excess for anything else, even some Alacrity

Edited by RookB

I agree, your APM is low. Set your Ability Action Queue to 1.0sec and make sure you "fire" your next ability before the current one finishes (except don't clip Boltstorm).

A lesser issue is you have too much Accuracy. Anything over 100% (758points) is wasted. Swap this excess for anything else, even some Alacrity

Not just some.... Both Merc disciplines needs quite a bit of alacrity...

But remember.. Non-BiS to BiS is only about 5% DPS. So get a good APM, and a decent rotation before worrying about gear. Zorz rotation (the one on Dulfy.net) for Arsenal is perfect, but their rotation for IO is overly complicated when there is a simpler rotation (Hotwired one).

Thanks for your replies! How much alacrity are we talking about then? 2-3 pieces or is even more alacrity worth it?

I'm not sure about the exact numbers.... I'M currently coming back to my IO model... But 2 is definately better now that we lost so much of our surge bonus. Arsenal may needs only one tho...

Edited by Ryuku-sama

40-43 APM

40 APM is one ability every GCD (with 0 alacrity, granted), full auto is every 15s (in Assault) and is going to decrease that. So, with Recharge cells and Reserve powercell being off the GCD every 90s... That's still 37.33 APM at best, a more reasonable goal. I doubt he's using adrenals or can afford a ton of alacrity.

@OP: for your assault parse, if you look into the Ability Usage tab, ideally your goal should be to have an Avg Time of 15s for incendiary round, serrated bolt and full auto, and 7.5s for mag bolt (again, not counting alacrity), with min and max time being near 15s as well for incendiary round and serrated bolt.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

I noticed your rotation is not even close to be correct for either Zorz or Hotwired. Also, use the 1M dummy with the 20% DR so that when your dummy is dead, you are done parsing.

A big thank you for all the advice! I've memorized the hotwired rotation, worked on my apm and practiced a lot. Result? My apm is now around 33-34 and I'm parsing 3.8k-3.9k with assault. Still much room for improvement of course, but at least I've got the feeling I'm getting there.

Again thanks for the answers, nice to see the friendly side of the swtor forums :)

• 2 weeks later...

And I'm back with a new parse with the same question.

While my assault parses have improved greatly and I really enjoy the spec, I feel I've hit a ceiling. No matter what gear setup I just can't parse any higher. People tell me I should be able to parse 300-400dps higher but I've got no clue (again, sorry asking for advice yet again.)

Parse: http://parsely.io/parser/view/34242

I can post my gear setup, but I've got a feeling it's a problem with either my apm or my rotation.

And I'm back with a new parse with the same question.

While my assault parses have improved greatly and I really enjoy the spec, I feel I've hit a ceiling. No matter what gear setup I just can't parse any higher. People tell me I should be able to parse 300-400dps higher but I've got no clue (again, sorry asking for advice yet again.)

Parse: http://parsely.io/parser/view/34242

I can post my gear setup, but I've got a feeling it's a problem with either my apm or my rotation.

Perfect APM (assuming no alacrity) is 36.... Considering IO should run with HUGE amount of alacrity... It is still low.

You aren't aggressive enough with Charged Bolts and your energy. 15s between each Charged Bolts is normal during the sustained phase. But everytime you activate Supercharged Cells and everytime your ressource CD are coming off CD, you should use some more Charged Bolts so your energy isn't lost. The burst phase around every 90s is what you're missing. It also leads you to default to Hammershot more often due to having nothing better to do. Use your ressource CD's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.