[BUG] In-Game Mail Disappears from Mailbox

azudelphi

This occurred last night on The Shadowlands at around 2030-2100 EST.

Mailbox was working as intended prior to these actions. Had been transferring items between characters without issue. This has me thinking it was an unintended issue and not a server update mail lagging behind issue.

The way this issue presented itself:

Purchased two items from the GTN and my UI reflected that I had 2 new unread messages as expected. Upon closing the GTN and going to the mailbox I found my entire mailbox empty; including old messages from reward items that I didn't delete. I logged out of my character and logged back in; the mailbox was still empty.

I did a full log out of my account and logged back in. When I did my mailbox updated and showed I did have the two unread messages with the GTN purchases attached as expected.

Have not attempted to replicate at this point, will attempt to do so this evening.

I can second this. During the same time frame you mentioned, I went to check my mail with about a dozen items in my inbox. I opened the one that had been there the longest (which happened to be payment from a GTN auction), clicked on the 'take credits' button, and was instead treated to an error window that said 'Mail Operation Failed.' For the rest of the night, I couldn't access any of those twelve mailings.

Tuesday after patch, the whole mail system was a little bit buggy. Tait wrote that it's just a temporary issue that sometimes happens after patches, so it should no longer happen now.

I just wasn't sure if this was a seperate issue since my mail system was fine when I logged into that particular character.

It was during active use that the mail system bugged; so that's why I thought I would report it. I'm not too bothered by it either way; my GTN purchases made their way to my bank in the end.

Considering that the mail system is once again bugged after today's patch, I'm pretty sure that it is a bigger issue than just the server playing catch-up.

Tait may be right and this issue may have appeared before but I've never seen this being widely discussed in in-game chat and on the forums until this week, and I've been playing since release, so Tuesday's patch must have bugged something, or it really has to do with the shorter maintenances.

Whenever this bug happens, when clicking on the mailbox, the window is empty and shows 0 on the bottom. This does not have to happen right after logging in. E.g. in thise case, it was working fine right after maintenance, then was bugged like 1 hour later, then it was working again for a few hours but bugged again later. I believe changing the area will reset the mailbox because it was still broken for me when other players already had it working again, and once I left my stronghold, it worked again for me as well.

In any case, please keep an eye on it since it seems to be a deeper issue than you think.

Edited by Jerba

I had no issues until after today's patch. After the patch the issues I have...

When I have mail in my inbox and I get a Successful item sale notice this is all I see...

Someone has purchased the item you put up for sale on the Galactic Trade Network. You will receive your asking price and deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission, in one hour.

Nothing about the item, the price paid etc.

Eventually over time I will lose all mail. Log completely out and the mail returns BUT the above message is still received. Zoning did not help... poping my mail bot did not help. It required a complete log out, at least on my part.

Edited by Ghisallo

The missing details about a GTN sale (which item and who bought it) is a separate issue that has been going on since release and from what we've been told, it is an engine limitation and cannot be fixed. This thread is only about the empty mailbox.

The missing details about a GTN sale (which item and who bought it) is a separate issue that has been going on since release and from what we've been told, it is an engine limitation and cannot be fixed. This thread is only about the empty mailbox.

I never had that issue until today... when the mail box issue began. So I assumed they were connected.

Same bug here. Logged in, saw I had new mail (2 messages). Go to mailbox, it shows all mail. Open one, no issue, open second, "Mail Server Operation Failed." All emails vanished.

Changed zones, email still missing. Note that I still have an alert for 2 messages.

UPDATE: Tried the "logout and login" fix. Now in addition to my mail being gone (including mail with unopened attachments), the Pending alert is also gone.

Not checking mail on any of my characters until support sends a fix. I will create a new toon in the meantime to check mail.

Edited by Rerednaw

I've got the same problem on Harb.

Logged in about 8:00 A.M. NZT and noted I had about 69 mmessage in my inbox of expired and sold GTN goods.

Tried to read one of them as normal and got that weird popup error about "mailbox error" or whatever it says ( I forget exactly what it is ).

I clicked out of Mailbox, went back in and it showed 69 messages but everything was blank, still had a scroll bar on the side to scroll through messages but there were just no messages to see.

Relogged and then it shows 0 messages total as in everything is gone.

Logged a ticket so hopefully it's fixed by the time I get home as I had many millions worth of items and credits in there. :(

I've got the same problem on Harb.

Logged in about 8:00 A.M. NZT and noted I had about 69 mmessage in my inbox of expired and sold GTN goods.

Tried to read one of them as normal and got that weird popup error about "mailbox error" or whatever it says ( I forget exactly what it is ).

I clicked out of Mailbox, went back in and it showed 69 messages but everything was blank, still had a scroll bar on the side to scroll through messages but there were just no messages to see.

Relogged and then it shows 0 messages total as in everything is gone.

Logged a ticket so hopefully it's fixed by the time I get home as I had many millions worth of items and credits in there. :(

Did you completely close the game out? I found simply going to character select would not work but a full logg out did. It needs to get fixed but it is better than nothing.

Edited by Ghisallo

Did you completely close the game out? I found simply going to character select would not work but a full logg out did. It needs to get fixed but it is better than nothing.

No i'll give it a shot when I get home, thanks for the tip.

• 4 months later...

The thread is a bit old, but this happened to me yesterday. Restarting SWTOR resolved the problem so I didn't bother reporting it directly, but I thought I should at least mention it here...

When I started the game, I got a notice that I had three new mails. I was in my ship, so I went to the mailbox there (which also indicated that there was new mail), and opened it. The mailbox was completely empty - no new or old mail at all. I closed and opened it a couple of times, but still no mail.

Then I ran a space mission and afterward I returned to the mailbox. Now it was full, and also contained the three new mails. Ok, fine - just a delay, I can live with that, I thought. Opened the first new mail, which contained some mission reward item. Tried to take the item and got an error message - "The mail operation failed" or something similar. Closed and opened the mailbox, and now it was empty again.

So I thought, "maybe it's the on-ship mailbox that's broken". I left the ship (was already at Alderan) and went to the nearest mailbox. First time I opened it, it was empty. Tried again, and the mail was back. Tried to get the award item again and succeeded this time. Then I opened the next mail, which was a spam message. Clicked the "report spam" button, which seemed to work, but a minute or so later I got a message saying that the game had failed to create a ticket "try again later".

At that point I restarted SWTOR, and after that everything seemed fine.